Carucci doesn't expect any offseason changes...

YoloinOhio

So let me get this straight. You advocate for Pegula to fire the entire defensive staff, yet now the offense and special teams are also the problem.

You say that Rex's big problem is the over reliance on the blitz which exposes the team to big plays, but then complain that the Bills can't generate a pass rush with rushing the front four. And on that particular play, rushing only four made a lot of sense because you don't need to sell out an all out blitz.

Look at that play. It was a Schwartzian Wide 9 with Mario & Hughes lined up far wide off the tackles. But of course, Mario pulled his usual 2015 stunt of heading straight upfield and all the RT had to do is nudge him off the play and give Bradford a wide open lane to step into and throw. Funny how that happens. Bills ran the Schwartz defense and got burned for a 53 YD TD.

I didn't say they were "the" problem. I said the entire team is an undisciplined mess at times and it has been. The special teams unit last year was one of the best in the NFL, and this year has been bad with the coverage units. This is with basically the same players, and same coach. The offensive line has had its share of penalties this year, and every time the offense does that it's a step back and a drive killer. Lack of discipline still falls on the HC because the buck stops with him.

Rex's big problem is that he isn't calling many blitzes at all this year! His Jets teams 30 to 50%, and this year 10% or less. I'm complaining about the lack of pass rush / sacks because of the scheme this year defense is utilizing. Mostly because the DT's are being asked to work the gaps rather than rush the passer, and Ryan is having the D-linemen dropping into pass coverage far too often like a zone blitzing team would. Then the defensive line rotation isn't as often this year as it was last season causing those highly paid pass rushers to wear out.

I believe Mario missed some time / games due to a foot injury and has had an illness as of late. (flu?) He has missed practice for both at times. I'm not going to make excuses for the players when they don't make a play because I don't know how much the injury affects their performance. It looked to me like all four Bills D-linemen went right after Bradford on this play and while Mario ran the arc he was pushed past the QB. While Marcel Dareus beat his man, that Eagles OG wisely pushed Dareus away from Bradford while the QB stepped up between the gaps to throw the ball.

The Bills rushed only four and the Eagles kept six in to pass block, and the RB released when he saw only four Bills rushing. While there was some pressure on the play from Dareus the QB quickly sidestepped and stepped up through the gap to throw. I can't find fault with any of the Bills players, and on that particular play, the Bills front four just didn't get it done. Therein lies my complaint with the play calling this year in only rushing four. As a coach if you see that you can't get to the QB by just rushing with the front four, then wouldn't make you think to blitz just a little?

Plus the soft pass coverages with the Bills DB's 10 yards off the line, and the safety even deeper. Then that pass play took a full four seconds to develop. When the QB isn't getting hit or feeling heavy pass rush pressure it emboldens them to take more chances. Anyway, on that particular pass play the Eagles just got lucky and hit the deep pass. JMO

Dave Wannstedt spent the entire 2012 season mostly rushing just the front four with minimal blitzing, and he still managed more than sacks the Bills have this year. Dave 36 / Rex 19 with three games to go.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for starters he hired the top consultant to guide his purchase of the team, led by the powerful sports broker/investment banker Steve Greenberg.

consultants were hired to identify potential sites for a new stadium.

he has hired consultants to evaluate all TV and media plans for both franchises.

he tried to hire Bill Polian as a consultant/czar to evaluate football operations. they did the same thing with the sabres

hired consultant John Koelmel to oversee HarborCenter

wonder if he will hire a Czar and let whaley walk?

Rex's D is a scheme driven for the most part. It is a D that needs excellent DB's who can man cover and allow Rex to send guys from everywhere else. I do not think Rex's D needs a DE at the price of Mario. Money that needs to be spent on LB's and Safety. Hughes at $10 mil makes more sense and is what Rex wants for a DE.

I do think Rex is back no question. I don't know if I want Whaley back if he won't listen to what his coach wants and thus go and find the guys for it.

My head and heart say 50/50 on Whaley.

I can see up to 20 guys gone after this season. Mario Williams, Enemkpali, Gay, Carpenter, Harvin, Kouandijo, Manuel, McKelvin, and Woods are the big names I expect to be gone. He said wholesale changes will be made. Ryan will have a full off season to build his defense. Whaley and Ryan need to agree on they type of players they need. NT and aggressive OBs. In post game he seemed exasperated at the lack of aggression.

This may turn out to be a good scenario. Rex isn't going anywhere with his contract. They have no financial stake in Whaley going forward. If they can hire a POWERFUL GM, then maybe Rex can be held accountable and the situation could improve.

Pegula spent 1.4 Billion to buy the team. Rex's entire remaining contract takes that to 1.42 Billion. If Pegs thinks the team is better without him, I don't think the contract matters.

Edited by PlayoffsPlease