Who is having a better season? Darby vs Gilmore

FireChan

46 members have voted

1. 1. Who is having the better season?

• Darby
    • Gilmore

if they are doing so great then how are we 23rd in the league in passing defense? Darby was owned by Hopkins once they actually tried challenging him at the end of the game on Sunday and also gave up 2 long passes vs KC and would have given up a long TD if the refs didn't blow the whistle vs the Pats. he's starting to cool off from the early season hot streak that he was on. he's playing really well for a rookie but he's not the best rookie in the NFL as one article claimed. Gilmore is always right there even if he gets beat. it takes the perfect throw to beat him. he also plays very physical, something Darby is starting to make part of his game. this is definitely the teacher vs the student but Gilmore still has the edge.

Edited by kdiggz

if they are doing so great then how are we 23rd in the league in passing defense? Darby was owned by Hopkins once they actually tried challenging him at the end of the game on Sunday and also gave up 2 long passes vs KC and would have given up a long TD if the refs didn't blow the whistle vs the Pats. he's starting to cool off from the early season hot streak that he was on. he's playing really well for a rookie but he's not the best rookie in the NFL as one article claimed. Gilmore is always right there even if he gets beat. it takes the perfect throw to beat him. he also plays very physical, something Darby is starting to make part of his game. this is definitely the teacher vs the mentor but Gilmore still has the edge.

You mean the blatant 2 handed push off in the end zone? We are 23rd in the league because of sheer volume. Darby is #1 in the NFL in passes defended and I believe Gilmore is 2 or 3.

I think they're both having phenomenal years but I give the slight edge to Darby. They both are great cover corners that play the ball well in the air. Both have been beaten a few times due to the number of passes thrown their way. Darby is a better tackler IMO.

Btw, who HASN'T been owned by Hopkins this year? Dude is a freak.

I think Gilmore has been more consistent, Darby has had some really great moments, but also some rookie moments. Can't complain about either much.

My only issue with our secondary is that every DB seems to do the shoulder charge tackle, instead of trying to wrap a player's legs up, I feel like we miss a lot of tackles due to that.

You mean the blatant 2 handed push off in the end zone? We are 23rd in the league because of sheer volume. Darby is #1 in the NFL in passes defended and I believe Gilmore is 2 or 3.

that's nice. he gave up 80 yards to Hopkins in the 4th quarter alone. most of it on the scoring drive to tie the game when we desperately needed a stop. they picked on him like 3-4 times in a row. you don't see teams doing that to Gilmore. Darby is fast but he relies on his speed a lot of the time rather than being physical and being in a good position. i think teams are seeing that and starting to just throw the ball up and let the WR fight for it because Darby is going to get out physicalled

with that said, i still think Darby is playing great for a rookie. we really got one of the steals of the draft with him. i just don't think he's a "shutdown corner" and i don't think that anyone will be taking a vacation on "Darby island" anytime soon

that's nice. he gave up 80 yards to Hopkins in the 4th quarter alone. most of it on the scoring drive to tie the game when we desperately needed a stop. they picked on him like 3-4 times in a row. you don't see teams doing that to Gilmore. Darby is fast but he relies on his speed a lot of the time rather than being physical and being in a good position. i think teams are seeing that and starting to just throw the ball up and let the WR fight for it because Darby is going to get out physicalled

with that said, i still think Darby is playing great for a rookie. we really got one of the steals of the draft with him. i just don't think he's a "shutdown corner" and i don't think that anyone will be taking a vacation on "Darby island" anytime soon

Don't think you could be more wrong here. Darby blankets receivers and comes up and makes tackles. Receivers rarely get YAC after he makes contact. Couple of plays on Sunday where the ball was thrown right at the sticks and the receiver had to get about a half a yard more for the first, but Darby was there immediately and brought them down for no YAC.

He's made some great plays on balls in the air, but yes, sometimes corners do get beat while the ball is in the air. Happens to all of them. The kid has been great.

Don't think you could be more wrong here. Darby blankets receivers and comes up and makes tackles. Receivers rarely get YAC after he makes contact. Couple of plays on Sunday where the ball was thrown right at the sticks and the receiver had to get about a half a yard more for the first, but Darby was there immediately and brought them down for no YAC.

He's made some great plays on balls in the air, but yes, sometimes corners do get beat while the ball is in the air. Happens to all of them. The kid has been great.

Hopkins had 0 yards with Gilmore covering him because Gilmore was physical with him all game. Hopkins is built like a 16 yr old girl (and dresses like one too but that's another story), you have to be physical with him. Gilmore gets hurt and they immediately start going to him vs Darby. Darby is fast and can keep up but we saw that he was out physicaled on that scoring drive to tie the game giving up 3 big plays

The real answer is It Doesn't matter! This is a great problem to have.

IMO they both are playing extremely well and it is a tie however I'd have to give the tie breaker to Darby since he is a rookie and he is playing like 4th year Pro Bowler.

if they are doing so great then how are we 23rd in the league in passing defense? Darby was owned by Hopkins once they actually tried challenging him at the end of the game on Sunday and also gave up 2 long passes vs KC and would have given up a long TD if the refs didn't blow the whistle vs the Pats. he's starting to cool off from the early season hot streak that he was on. he's playing really well for a rookie but he's not the best rookie in the NFL as one article claimed. Gilmore is always right there even if he gets beat. it takes the perfect throw to beat him. he also plays very physical, something Darby is starting to make part of his game. this is definitely the teacher vs the student but Gilmore still has the edge.

Lack of pass rush?

if they are doing so great then how are we 23rd in the league in passing defense?

Because teams throw to the middle of the field and work against the other 5 players in the back 7 (safeties and LBs).

There's a reason that Hopkins' slightly-above-average performance was, by a huge margin, the best game of any #1 WR against us this year.

Because teams throw to the middle of the field and work against the other 5 players in the back 7 (safeties and LBs).

There's a reason that Hopkins' slightly-above-average performance was, by a huge margin, the best game of any #1 WR against us this year.

Not to mention how bad the pass rush has been. That makes the jobs that both Gilmore and Darby are doing that much more impressive. They are asked to stick with guys longer than many other corners.

Not to mention how bad the pass rush has been. That makes the jobs that both Gilmore and Darby are doing that much more impressive. They are asked to stick with guys longer than many other corners.

Agreed. I don't know if some folks realize how lucky we were to have Darby turn out to be so great. McKelvin can play, but we may have been the #32 pass defense by a WIDE margin without two CB's having All-Pro years.

I switched my vote about 5 times, which means that this is an excellent question and topic for discussion.

Well done, OP.

I ended up going with Gilmore for the consistency factor, but I wouldn't argue with anyone that picked Darby either.

Thanks.