If we win out, can we still get in?

http://www.upi.com/Sports_News/2015/12/08/Colts-quarterback-picture-murky/6271449557036/

INDIANAPOLIS -- If backup quarterback Charlie Whitehurst ends up playing for the Indianapolis Colts in the remaining four games, it would mark the first time since 2011 the team had three quarterbacks start games.

With Luck and now Hasselbeck both disappointing and injured, the Colts are not sure who will start Sunday at Jacksonville -- or for the rest of the season.

I guess I should have looked it up earlier.

Oh I didn't realize Hasselbeck got hurt. Well that changes things a little.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://www.upi.com/Sports_News/2015/12/08/Colts-quarterback-picture-murky/6271449557036/

INDIANAPOLIS -- If backup quarterback Charlie Whitehurst ends up playing for the Indianapolis Colts in the remaining four games ...

Charlie "Clipboard Jesus" Whitehurst has been in this situation before. In 2010, the 6-9 Seahawks met the 7-8 Rams at home on the Sunday night game. Winner take all. The injured starter, Matt Hasselbeck was injured and backup Charlie was called into action. He played well and the Seahawks defeated the rookie (Sam Bradford) led Rams. Seahawks became first team to make playoffs with losing record and beat the Saints in the Beast Quake game. I was at that game.

According to the Playoff Machine on ESPN, we have one very simple way of making the playoffs.

1) Win the rest of our games.

AND

2) Have Pittsburgh lose one of their remaining games. Most likely on the road at Cincy this week or at home to Denver next week.

If both things happen, no matter what else happens, Buffalo is in the playoffs.

Edited by dubs

Messing with the playoff machine, I could see it playing out this way. I selected who I realistically believe will win each game and had the Bills winning out, these are the results. if you feel I'm wrong or unrealistic on any relevant games, tell me why and I will see if the change impact the result.

Winners are in bold

post-9836-0-42514600-1449595377_thumb.jpg

This team lost to the jaguars. They are not winning out.

It wasn't really "this" team... No Tyrod and no Sammy. I'd say those are easily the largest talent drop offs on the depth chart at this point particular once Harvin went out. McCoy was also still fighting the hammy. Yes "that" team would probably finish 0-4... "This" team should have a shot at winning out.

My expectation is that we finish 9-7, with a loss to either Philly or Washington. Likely miss the playoffs in that scenario, but there's a chance that Pittsburgh struggles against Cincy and Denver.

I agree. In this scenario, we actually have a little better than 50-50 shot to make it, according to the NYT Playoff Simulator.