Can't have it both ways: Down on Bills/NFC East...

OCinBuffalo

at the same time.

All I've heard today was how badly the NFC East sucks this year. Now, since we play none other than the NFC East, the next 3 games in a row, it stands to reason that the media et al should be telling us that we will breeze through. Yet, no...our playoff chances are "fading away".

These 2 things cannot be happening at the same time. No. Either the NFC East sucks, and thus the Bills have an easy schedule going forward, or, the Bills playoff chances are fading away...which indicates that one or more of the otherwise sucky/can't beat anybody/can't play defense, NFC East teams is going to beat us.

Well, we could apply the same "unless it's Buffalo" conditional rules that the refs have been applying the last 3 weeks. (It's hilarious to watch Red Zone after the Bills game, and see the same calls that go against us, be called the other way "obviously"). In that case, I suppose one could say that, "The NFC East sucks...unless they are playing Buffalo". :lol:

Anobody wanna bet that this silly rationale is used each of the next 3 weeks? :lol:

Finally, let us have some fun, and see how many times Pete Prisco(Jet Fan, and Pats* ballwasher...because his Jets can't beat them) picks the Bills to win, straight up or ATS the next 3 weeks. :lol: I'm setting the O/U on that at 1.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

There is more to the Bills playoff chances than just their schedule as they need help which they don't appear to be getting much of

Prisco had the Bills going 5-11 this year which was just ridiculous

Edited by Max997

There is more to the Bills playoff chances than just their schedule as they need help which they don't appear to be getting much of

And if this was a thread about the Bills playoff chances in general, this would be relevant.

However, it is not, so it is not.

No. This thread is about the hilarious cognitive dissonance/contortions of logic the media is going to have to go through the next 3 weeks, to both deny the Bills any chance to win any of the 3 games, AND, maintain the same definitive "the NFC East sucks" position they have had for the last 3 weeks...at the same time.

Why can't it be both ways? The NFC east sucks and so do we. As bad as they are, we're even worse or as bad so likely will lose at least some. Our records are about the same, granted we all have a very inflated value of the Bill's abilities, but our records are similar so the likelihood of winning all three with two on the road, based on simple odds is not very good.

Further our chances of making the playoffs are fading regardless of what the outcomes is as other teams won today like the Jets and KC. If Pitt wins tonight (now 21-10) that will be another nail in the coffin.

Last but certainly not least, why would it even matter what is said. Kind of funny as you and many others here always rip those in the media calling them ball washers when they write bad things about the Bill's. Did you ever think that you and others like are nothing but Bill's ball washers?

Honestly, I don't think anyone gives the Cowboys much of a chance against the Bills, so that game is pretty irrelevant. Perhaps the media thinks the Bills pretty much suck as well, so two road games, even if they against sucky NFC East teams, are not gimmes for the Bills. The Bills haven't shown the ability to stay focused for three games in a row all year, and given that the Eagles and Redskins both are in the thick of the playoff race, albeit because they are in the sucky NFC East, the games are not going to be a breeze for the Bills.

Why can't it be both ways? The NFC east sucks and so do we. As bad as they are, we're even worse or as bad so likely will lose at least some. Our records are about the same, granted we all have a very inflated value of the Bill's abilities, but our records are similar so the likelihood of winning all three with two on the road, based on simple odds is not very good.

Further our chances of making the playoffs are fading regardless of what the outcomes is as other teams won today like the Jets and KC. If Pitt wins tonight (now 21-10) that will be another nail in the coffin.

Last but certainly not least, why would it even matter what is said. Kind of funny as you and many others here always rip those in the media calling them ball washers when they write bad things about the Bill's. Did you ever think that you and others like are nothing but Bill's ball washers?

GREAT post....but the Bills Ball Washers will just ignore it, as they have their blinders firmly in place. LOL

I merely made a logical point: one cannot both say that NFC sucks, definitively, and, at the same time, predict the Bills, who are at least 2 games better than the NFC East teams, to lose to them.

Thus the answer to your question is: It's illogical, that's why. NO ONE in the media is saying that the Bills are = the the NFC East. Why?

That would be: Stupid. EDIT: Worse? It violates the "Look to the Boxscore and standings, then use made up analytics" methodology of the media today. :blink:

No. What is arleady going on (see: anything Mike Rodak says) here is false division of the Universe into 2 pretend halves: one where the Bills suck, and have little chance of making the playoffs, and the other...where the NFC East sucks.

Reality, says, not just suggests, that only 1 of these thing can be true, right now. Is it possible for the Bills to be worse than they appear, is it possible for the NFC East to be better? Of course.

But, were not dealing with the possible, we are talkin about the probable. Moreover, we are talking about definitive statements made: "The NFC East is a bad football division". Not much wiggle room there. The "NFC East sucks" is black and white.

Our chances are NOT decreasing: In fact they just went up 9.4%. Yeah, that pesky thing called math, and statistics.

There's nothing wrong with calling Pete Prisco a Pats* ballwasher, when I have gallons of empirical evidence to prove it...and more math.

Anyone with any gambling sense/experience, would recognize him as a ballwasher, and either avoid him completely, or, bet against his picks, based on statistics, not emotion.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

And if this was a thread about the Bills playoff chances in general, this would be relevant.

However, it is not, so it is not.

And yet the last sentence in the first paragraph of your original post is:

Yet, no...our playoff chances are "fading away".

But the thread isnt about that I guess even though you felt the need to mention it.

My point was which you clearly missed is the Bills next 3 opponents may be weak but their playoff chances could still be impacted due to things now out of their control so everything you are so concerned about the media saying is valid.

Edited by Max997

And yet the last sentence in the first paragraph of your original post is:

But the thread isnt about that I guess even though you brought it up

My point was which you clearly missed is the Bills opponents may be weak but their playoff chances could impacted due to things now out of their control

I understand your point. I also understand exactly who plays whom going forward. I suggest you play around with this: http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

Go to week 17. Choose the Bills to win, and viola! We're in. You can play all sorts of scenarios, but they all come down to beating the Jets...and the 3 NFC East teams that, no matter how you slice it, we are expected to beat. Funny how the machine has no problems picking us to win all 3 games, wonder why it's so hard for humans :lol::rolleyes: ...

...but all of this STILL has nothing to do with the cognitive dissonance I have already observed(See: Rodak), and the back breaking contortions already underway to somehow accomodate 2 things that can't both be true, existing in the same universe. Which...remains what this thread is about.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Because humans understand the human element involved in the game.

Regardless of how bad the NFC East is do you honestly see the Bills winning the next 3 games? At best the Bills go 2-1 splitting the two road games vs Philly and Washington both difficult places to play regardless of record.

Because humans understand the human element involved in the game.

Regardless of how bad the NFC East is do you honestly see the Bills winning the next 3 games? At best the Bills go 2-1 splitting the two road games vs Philly and Washington both difficult places to play regardless of record.

I've watched almost all of this years games, albeit condensed, of all 3 teams.

Therefore, yes, not only do I honestly see them winning all 3, it's probable. One key: we made no big mistakes today. Play any of those 3 teams, and they will make enough mistakes for you to beat them. In fact, all 4 teams remaining are 50/50 on giving away games via their own bad(often ridiculously bad) mistakes. Combined, about 40% of their wins come merely from the other team making even more mistakes than they did.

It's been "who sucks the least today" all year for all 4 teams.

Thus, this doesn't require a Herculean effort. All we have to do is play like we did today: middling, and it's likely we win out.

EDIT: And, keep in mind I'm including the refs spotting each team 10 points in scoring differential...because that's what they've done, on average, the last 3 games. :wallbash: If we actually get competent refs the next 4 games? We win them all going away. I'd take the Bills and give/take the points on all of them.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

I merely made a logical point: one cannot both say that NFC sucks, definitively, and, at the same time, predict the Bills, who are at least 2 games better than the NFC East teams, to lose to them.

Thus the answer to your question is: It's illogical, that's why. NO ONE in the media is saying that the Bills are = the the NFC East. Why?

That would be: Stupid. EDIT: Worse? It violates the "Look to the Boxscore and standings, then use made up analytics" methodology of the media today. :blink:

No. What is arleady going on (see: anything Mike Rodak says) here is false division of the Universe into 2 pretend halves: one where the Bills suck, and have little chance of making the playoffs, and the other...where the NFC East sucks.

Reality, says, not just suggests, that only 1 of these thing can be true, right now. Is it possible for the Bills to be worse than they appear, is it possible for the NFC East to be better? Of course.

But, were not dealing with the possible, we are talkin about the probable. Moreover, we are talking about definitive statements made: "The NFC East is a bad football division". Not much wiggle room there. The "NFC East sucks" is black and white.

Our chances are NOT decreasing: In fact they just went up 9.4%. Yeah, that pesky thing called math, and statistics.

There's nothing wrong with calling Pete Prisco a Pats* ballwasher, when I have gallons of empirical evidence to prove it...and more math.

Anyone with any gambling sense/experience, would recognize him as a ballwasher, and either avoid him completely, or, bet against his picks, based on statistics, not emotion.

The Bills win in that link proposes a 9.4 increase alone, but factored in with the other results for the games listed below the Bills-Texans, it would seem that that number drops to 4.7.

Also, do you have a link to all of these dissonant claims that individuals have made saying the Bills playoff chances are fading and the NFCE sucks?

Also, if Prisco is the ball washer you claim, I assume he picked NE every week this season. You would have gone against those picks?

I think Bill in NYC is getting very uncomfortable about posters talking about washing his balls. Stay away from them in BILLS' tailgates game Bill.

The Bills win in that link proposes a 9.4 increase alone, but factored in with the other results for the games listed below the Bills-Texans, it would seem that that number drops to 4.7.

Also, do you have a link to all of these dissonant claims that individuals have made saying the Bills playoff chances are fading and the NFCE sucks?

Also, if Prisco is the ball washer you claim, I assume he picked NE every week this season. You would have gone against those picks?

Of course. But I was speaking in his context: Bills in a vacuum. Just fighting stupid with gasoline. :lol:

Yes. Please google Rodak Mike ESPN. Read his latest account. You can clearly see the beginnings of what is sure to be a hilarious contortion. I assume his head will nearing his ass, if not already engaged, by Wednesday, latest. Other than that, as I said in the OP, I observed the same set of people saying 2 mutually exclusive things yesterday. More links are sure to come. In fact, I expect a whole bunch of hilarious material to play with very soon: which is why I started the damn thread.

Speaking of Pats* ballwashers, WEO shows up! :lol: (Sometimes, it's like I'm writing a script around here) How about 5-11 for the Bills this season? Should we go against Prisco on that one? Would you like to lay $ on that? :lol: As I said above: this is about math, not emotion. What should we call bringing up the Pats...out of nowhere...when we are talking about Prisco's, at the very least, untoward, picks against the Bills over the last 5 years?

I don't know. Not dissonance, perhaps: compulsion? Is there a name for compulsive ball washing, be they Bill_in_NYC's balls or Brady's? Speaking of that, how did he do yesterday?

Edited by OCinBuffalo