Oops! Hogan's No Catch was a Catch says the NFL

Why should he be put in the position of having to challenge when it's incumbent upon the :censored: officials to get the call right in the first place.

When you have a recourse to correct a wrong you don't not use it because the officials should have gotten it right in the first place. That makes no sense.

Very often the called play on the field is a tough/close call and the HC doesn't want to risk using up his time outs. That wasn't the case in this situation. It was clearly a catch and acknowledged by everyone who saw it on the video. What this goofball HC needed to do was pay better attention on the sideline and keep his head in the game instead of having it up his arse.

He was in a position to right a wrong and help his team. He didn't do it.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The NFL has basically admitted to screwing us out of at least two potential wins. This is a billion-dollar industry. What a joke.

Yep! F'k them. I am fed up with apologies and want these mistakes fixed on the spot, on the field. No more BS! No more letting refs decide games and make momentum shifting phantom calls. They suck so bad this year, it is ruining the game.

They need to start firing these referees instead of reassigning them to other games.

I want to agree, but then we'd get guys they deem to be even less qualified? If the replacements were better they'd already be on the field getting it right. There has to be more transparent accountability though.

I don't think I have watched less non-Bills football in any other season....I know I cannot be alone. I have discovered many other enjoyable activities that easily fill the void. I used to watch every possible televised game, in full. Tainted product, reeking of greed.

It is VERY rare for me to watch much non-Bills football these days, unlike the old days. My son does fantasy and knows every player and every team inside out. He wants me to do it, but I just don't want to get any more invested in it. Go Bills! Crush the Pats. That about covers it.

Seriously? Because any referee of any amount of training, intelligence and experience is going to get calls wrong. Everyone knows this. It's why the current system allows to challenge close or questionable calls.

This was a huge blunder by Rex. If he was only paying a tiny bit of attention on that play he would have at least wondered why his WR running up field after catching the ball was now ruled incomplete. He didn't even notice. He's clueless.

He did notice. They said they were close to challenging it. The hesitation was probably in using the last timeout with 2:39 left in the game. Yes he should of challenged it, but if it was so god damn obvious the refs should have gotten it right too. Now we have to use 1 of 3 challenges on blatant catches (and non catches by the other team!) I guess, but it's all good cause refs make mistakes.

Edited by What a Tuel

I don't think I have watched less non-Bills football in any other season....I know I cannot be alone. I have discovered many other enjoyable activities that easily fill the void. I used to watch every possible televised game, in full. Tainted product, reeking of greed.

I have seen about 4 hours of football besides the Bills this year.

Which i only turned off once. (jaguars) but i turned it back after about ten minutes ( real time ).

This weekend will be the first weekend this year i am not ready at kickoff.

My 10 month old Grandson and I , and the Family are going to cut down his first Xmas tree.

We all have to have our priorities!

Maybe i will lift the Jinx by missing the kickoff !!

He did notice. They said they were close to challenging it. The hesitation was probably in using the last timeout with 2:39 left in the game. Yes he should of challenged it, but if it was so god damn obvious the refs should have gotten it right too. Now we have to use 1 of 3 challenges on blatant catches I guess, but it's all good cause refs make mistakes.

I dont watch other teams , but we really have gotten the short end of the stick quite a few games this year.

Like any team, you are playing the Officials too. just what it is.

The Maclin non catch and the Hogan Catch.

Rex may have just said F it. If thats how they call catches , then we need to do better job of Catching and securing the ball till down. And we need to do a better job of getting in front of that ball or hitting that player coming down.

Landing on Maclin may have gotten us a fumble call.

its no good to depend on the game being fair. So be that much better.

Geez why do i feel i am talking to my Kids again with that last sentence 0:)

Edited by 3rdand12

I have seen about 4 hours of football besides the Bills this year.

Which i only turned off once. (jaguars) but i turned it back after about ten minutes ( real time ).

This weekend will be the first weekend this year i am not ready at kickoff.

My 10 month old Grandson and I , and the Family are going to cut down his first Xmas tree.

We all have to have our priorities!

Maybe i will lift the Jinx by missing the kickoff !!

I dont watch other teams , but we really have gotten the short end of the stick quite a few games this year.

Like any team, you are playing the Officials too. just what it is.

The Maclin non catch and the Hogan Catch.

Rex may have just said F it. If thats how they call catches , then we need to do better job of Catching and securing the ball till down. And we need to do a better job of getting in front of that ball or hitting that player coming down.

Landing on Maclin may have gotten us a fumble call.

its no good to depend on the game being fair. So be that much better.

Geez why do i feel i am talking to my Kids again with that last sentence 0:)

Oh I agree, the officials are bad across the board, it's not just instances against us, but we certainly feel like we get the brunt of it.. He was definitely wrong, but I am just more disappointed that we have to risk important timeouts to get the right call on such an obvious catch with the official standing right there. My theory is that since the chief player went after the ball, the official concluded that hogan lost possession, and somehow forgot that Hogan tucked the ball, turned, and took a few steps.

Also correction - I thought it was our last timeout, but we had 2, so he definitely should've challenged it.

Oh I agree, the officials are bad across the board, it's not just instances against us, but we certainly feel like we get the brunt of it.. He was definitely wrong, but I am just more disappointed that we have to risk important timeouts to get the right call on such an obvious catch with the official standing right there. My theory is that since the chief player went after the ball, the official concluded that hogan lost possession, and somehow forgot that Hogan tucked the ball, turned, and took a few steps.

Also correction - I thought it was our last timeout, but we had 2, so he definitely should've challenged it.

Don't think for one moment i was not looking for my own challenge flag to throw at an official

We might well lead the league in apologies for calls at crucial moments of winnable games. Jags pass int call that wasn't. Pats Sammy gives himself up, not to mention the Pats get a bad call against them that inexplicably results in the bills giving up 29 yards. KC had Hogan's non-catch catch. There's more--but we're like 3-0 in apologies.

You want some cheese to go with your whine? You don't seem to mention the bad calls against Buffalo's opponents do you? It's not a one way street. What about the blown whistle that shouldn't have been when the QB got rid of the ball and he was still in bounds? The refs blew that call too. I don't hear you complaining about that one. Buffalo fans are so used to losing they always blame the losses on the refs. It makes them feel better.

You want some cheese to go with your whine? You don't seem to mention the bad calls against Buffalo's opponents do you? It's not a one way street. What about the blown whistle that shouldn't have been when the QB got rid of the ball and he was still in bounds? The refs blew that call too. I don't hear you complaining about that one. Buffalo fans are so used to losing they always blame the losses on the refs. It makes them feel better.

We got screwed on that one too. And a lot of people complained about that one for the sake of both teams. But even then they enforced it wrongly after the fact.

Edited by What a Tuel

We screwed ourselves out of this game. The big talking HC had the opportunity to challenge the play. He didn't. He is a better talker than thinker. Being a bull shitttt artist didn't help him when he was supposed to exercise good judgment on the sidleines.

This is the exact stupid mindset that has been going on for years. Not until recently has the local Buffalo sports media started to acknowledge that crappy calls against the Bills at specific times in the game actually may have decided who wins the game. When callers used to call WGR with complaints about calls they were dismissed as whiners etc... It seems the worm has turned and now a critical eye is on every game, I have long believed that the referees make calls based on the players involved and the teams involved instead of just deciding based on the play. Explain how Robey gets a similar PI call against him by the same officiating crew in two different games (The NFL said both weren't PI)

You can say that Rex should have this and Rex should have that but in reality the calls sucked and when can we expect the official to get the damn call right?

There were 3 calls in the KCgame that worked against the Bills . Do you think those didn't change the course of the game? Explain to me why Hogans non catch wasn't ruled a catch? Then replay has the potential to over turn it. Thats what happened with Maclin's catch that really wasn't a catch. The whole system is screwed up and finally people are realizing it.

Seriously, like what did they tell OBD on the phone??? "Hello Terry! That Hogan play was a catch actually and it may have cost you the game but, if it makes ya feel better here is a phone call to acknowledge that we do not want you to win. Deal with it!" We have been getting screwed by the refs all season. They might as well call us the Bret Harts of Buffalo cuz the refs screwed us!!

These oops announcements have become way too common. Little things like that decide who wins games. It will never be perfect, but his blows. Again.

They need to start firing these referees instead of reassigning them to other games.

I bet if they docked a % of the refs checks every time the blew calls, nobody would be getting screwed and the refs could not dictate the outcome of most games. But then that would be fair, and we all know the NFL cant be fair cuz that would ruin their story lines for the season....

Edited by Marty McFly

@SalSports

The NFL informed the Bills this week that Chris Hogan's "incompletion" was, indeed, a catch.

@SalSports

I asked Bills WR and DB coach how they think a catch should be defined. Here's what they said: http://www.wgr550.com/Defining-a-catch-Bills-assistants-weigh-in/22241641

everybody but the refs (and rex)

Ill give you the honours to walk the two way street. Please name the times the opponent got screwed against the Bills.

Tick Tock, Tick Tock. We will be waiting a long time for your response.

Meanwhile, this year alone I remember the Jacksonville phantom call on Robey, the no catch on Hogan, the catch by Maclin, another phanthom call on Robey vs KC.

Tick Tock, Tick Tock...us whiners are still waiting....

OK, Ill help you out......Lets say I give you the Inbounds whistle catch. Didnt the ref give it to them anyways plus 15 yard penalty on Rex? So the the whistle which means a dead play netted the Pats +30 yards. Who won that one?

Other examples of BIlls being on the short end of mind numbing calls: On more than one occasion last year, refs lifted flags. I clearly remember Kyle WIlliams being held, Kyle lifting his arms to the ref, the ref throwing the flag in acknowlegment and after a brief huddle, the ref announcing on the PA that there was no flag for holding. Or how about the 15 yard penalty against Hughes for B word slapping his own players helmet after a 3rd and short stop on the Pats.

It goes on and on. Now this franchise brings it on itself no doubt. Time Management, Timeouts, timely fumble losses, special teams stuff. But man, give us a break REFS!

Tick Tock, Tick Tock!

Edited by fredex22