[closed]watkins (again)

enlightener

Lets see I seem to remember a great, pro bowl quality player whos team let him down with offenses rated ahem...25th, 28th, 30th, 30th, 25th and 30th in his first six years, with the likes of number 2 receivers to keep double coverages at bay like...josh reed...roscoe parish... an old TO and Moulds in his last season, being run out of town for being "one dimensional".

In his worst season as a bill before injury shortened seasons, he had only 44 catches and 612 yards ....but 7 touchdowns! Its like all he did was go deep and haul in TD's! What a D!ck!

He was cast aside when a much better all-around receiver emerged as everybody here's real Number 1 go to guy-Steve Johnson (its not stevie), a guy who couldnt catch a deep ball, run fast, make a game winning catch, show some class, or even stay healthy as long as Evans had before a bunch of hamstring issues derailed what was...a highly over-inflated career. Now hes had a couple years of proving himself a true number 3 or 4 guy as he plays at an average at best level. Remember how most of you here defended him? Not me.

So now we have Watkins, a guy who doesnt even stay upright at the nearest sight of a defender. A guy who wont go up hard for a deep ball. Carefully catching only the most perfectly thrown passes. Hes great at deep balls, when there out in front of him. But wasnt evans? Watkins is great ill say, at catching balls near the sideline too, making some nice toe tapping first downs. Remember the vikings TD? He was heading safely out of bounds. How about the instant replays this year? All on the right sideline, all with him falling down, heading out of bounds. He is a fantastic receiver, as long as theres a way for him to make a nice safe catch, and go down, or out of bounds, or out the back of the endzone. Put him in the middle of the field or near footsteps , and ball just doesnt stay in his hands.

I remember many a catch Evans made, going up strong for highly thrown losman passes, skinny posts, crossing routes even. Beating Revis for tds, not once but a few times. Evans went up hard, and he weighed a good 20 pounds less than watkins.

Speaking of Watkins, are all the screens this guy was supposed to excel at? Why dont they throw any to him? Do they know already hesnot willing to run them? Wheres all the rac yards? he has almost none. All his yards are through the air. Hes a deep ball catcher now, like the one evans was but not as good, and not nearly as physical, and already more fragile and injury prone. Is he- shudder-one dimensional??? looks that way.

I dont remember evans costing 2 first rounders but how he was maligned on this board. Andre Reed had respect for taking short passes over the middle to the house. Yet people still cant seem to grasp the truth about sammy the softy...or is it sammy the kitty? I havent decided yet.

I actually read this and you're half right. It's not that Watkins is only good at catching deep balls and can't run a screen and gain yards after the catch. It's the Bills, absolutely inexplicably, refuse to use him in the screen game. What makes it all the more perplexing is that that was his bread and butter at Clemson. If not for the screens, he wouldn't have put up near the numbers he did in college. Surely, Whaley must have watched some footage of him at Clemson and thought, hmm maybe our coaches could use him like that. When the Bills did the same thing to Maclin that the Chiefs did to Watkins, the Chiefs threw screens to Maclin. The Bills continued to put Watkins outside alone and essentially render him a decoy. The Bills coaching is bad and often times, incomprehensible. Sammy Watkins was 100% right when he went on his rant earlier in the year. He is a complete stud. He would be wise to ditch the Bills the second his rookie contract is up UNLESS they figure out a way to get him the ball pronto.

And also, dude, what are you talking about Watkins not going up strong for balls and playing physically. You clearly did not watch the game on Sunday.

Edited by metzelaars_lives