This season 100% comes down to coaching, nothing more

Virgil

The salary cap control mechanism that is in place in the NFL has pretty much made it the case where all teams have very similar roster talent. What differentiates the top teams from the not so good teams is QB play and coaching. This is where the wheat separates from the chaff.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Aaron Williams being out is one thing. The woeful replacements behind him: THAT'S why we're struggling. He was a solid player. His reserves are downright liabilities.

Duke Williams has played himself right the !@#$ off this roster. Corey Graham is not good enough to account for the deficiencies opposite him. And Rambo is entirely too up and and down. These are facts.

Again, I'm not saying Rex has been perfect. Far from it.

But this notion that he's problem numero uno? Absolutely not.

I posted this on another site last year; when Aaron Williams played with Duke Williams last year, Duke was effective on the field.

It was clear as a sunny day on the 22 when watching Duke look at Aaron, Aaron tell him what to do and who to cover. Aaron Williams is not a stud athletic safety, he is however a good communicator and leader in the secondary, who IMO is clearly missed in the secondary in that regard, who is athletic enough to play effectively and produce physically. He is a team guy who understands his and others responsibilities.

The salary cap control mechanism that is in place in the NFL has pretty much made it the case where all teams have very similar roster talent. What differentiates the top teams from the not so good teams is QB play and coaching. This is where the wheat separates from the chaff.

This argument completely ignores the lopsided effect that QB's have on wins v salary cap.

But let's blame the coach.

Please note: I'm not saying Rex had a good game. I'm not saying he doesn't share the blame. But you guys are !@#$ing insane if you don't think players not executing wasn't a HUGE factor in us losing.

Players most certainly did not execute...how much of that falls on the players themselves and how much on a "player friendly" coaching staff? Our coaches themselves aren't prepared, if they can't prepare themselves properly can they be reasonably expected to prepare their players?

If I am Terry Pugula I am not putting up with this nonsense anymore. I would suspend Rex for 1 week he would have to stay home away from the stadium. Roman would run the team. This is a Billion dollar franchise. If there is not a HD TV in the Bills both with the CBS feed then this is a problem. I don't care if you got to send a equipment manager down to the local Walmart in Kanas City and buy a TV for use in the booth. Don't depend on or count on the local team to put replays up. This is not that hard and it's should be a priority. These games are too important to be working in the blind. If there was someone in the booth and they did have the CBS feed and did not tell Rex then this guy should be fired. There needs to be someone in the booth or someone, some where with direct communication to Rex to let him know what is going on and when to challenge. If I can sit at home and see this and know what the right thing to do is. Then it is really inexcusable that the Bills can't do this. The person who is watching the local CBS feed like we are at home will have a important job and this should be his only job. Do you think the patriots leave it to chance that the local team will give them the replays. So if I'm Terry Pugula I want a investigation on what really happened.

We are losing games because of game mismanagement that can easily be corrected.

Rex should be suspended to make him learn a lesson on his total cluster he is running. Maybe a suspension will make him realize that he needs to do a better job. Other things that bother me concerning game preparation are not practicing in practice each week how to hurry to the line of scrimmage to get a play off that was close and it might get a red flag by the other coach. This is about attention to detail also Why Tyrod has to get plays from the sidelines and wait for them while there in a 2 minute drill. Again WTF are we doing all week during practice. Is Tyrod incapable

of calling his own plays and running the offense with out getting plays from the side lines. Again this is called game preparation. I see so much that is wrong and it all starts with Rex. Maybe a 1 game suspension with pay and Rex takes a step back from it all will make him realize he can do a better job. These things I just mentioned need to be brought up and discussed with Rex and to make him realize he can do a better job. Some times being called out and suspended can have a positive effect. I like Rex the man, but what I don't like is what he is allowing to happen. If I'm Terry Pugula that's what I would be doing on this Monday morning.

F&ck me - is this in every thread? :death:

Players most certainly did not execute...how much of that falls on the players themselves and how much on a "player friendly" coaching staff? Our coaches themselves aren't prepared, if they can't prepare themselves properly can they be reasonably expected to prepare their players?

I reject this premise. 200 yards to 20 to start the game. They were prepared to do something yesterday.

Answer me this: while we B word and moan about the defensive scheme, what are some of the big plays that PLAYERS have made this year on defense?

I reject this premise. 200 yards to 20 to start the game. They were prepared to do something yesterday.

Answer me this: while we B word and moan about the defensive scheme, what are some of the big plays that PLAYERS have made this year on defense?

And what happened in the 2nd half? Where did the preparation go? Did they all of a sudden forget how to play? Or did we not adjust to the Chiefs adjustments? Did our players stop executing or did we go conservative on offense and made 0 adjustments to the D when 3 of their starting OL went out (IE: pressure the hell out of them)

It is easy to B word about the defensive scheme - all of the same players are still there from the past 2 seasons and they arguably got better talent wise with Darby. Did the DL forget how to rush the passer? I suppose it is tough to rush the passer when you are dropping in coverage....

You expect growing pains on the offense, not the defense.

Edit:QB and coaching is what wins in this NFL. You can squeek by without a QB if you have coaching. Even if you have a QB, lack of coaching can prevent you from doing anything - See Philip Rivers

Edited by Reed83HOF

Sorry, I am not certain what you mean here. Can you elaborate for me please.

I'm saying that wins tend to spike when you have one of the league's best QB's, talent parity be damned.

52 guys could be man for man the same, but it only takes a good QB to change a team's course. Hell, a team could have a noticeably weaker roster, but the QB could make all the difference.

And the impact of that difference is not proportionate to the QB's impact on the salary cap.

And what happened in the 2nd half? Where did the preparation go? Did they all of a sudden forget how to play? Or did we not adjust to the Chiefs adjustments? Did our players stop executing or did we go conservative on offense and made 0 adjustments to the D when 3 of their starting OL went out (IE: pressure the hell out of them)

It is easy to B word about the defensive scheme - all of the same players are still there from the past 2 seasons and they arguably got better talent wise with Darby. Did the DL forget how to rush the passer? I suppose it is tough to rush the passer when you are dropping in coverage....

Edit:QB and coaching is what wins in this NFL. You can squeek by without a QB if you have coaching. Even if you have a QB, lack of coaching can prevent you from doing anything - See Philip Rivers

So which players have made a big play this season?

Honest answer: I don't know.

And I don't profess to know either. Doing so would be folly, IMO.

I'm saying that wins tend to spike when you have one of the league's best QB's, talent parity be damned.

52 guys could be man for man the same, but it only takes a good QB to change a team's course. Hell, a team could have a noticeably weaker roster, but the QB could make all the difference.

And the impact of that difference is not proportionate to the QB's impact on the salary cap.

So, this is in agreement with my previous post that what differentiates the top teams from the not so good teams is QB play ....?

F&ck me - is this in every thread? :death:

He didn't post it in the Positive/Negative threads, so there's that.

The defense is not playing well. We played a vanilla scheme and asked alex smith to beat us. He obliged. Dialing up blitzes would've resulted in them using tons of screens to beat us. The way we have tackled recently - i don't want them running tons of screens against our blitz.

The best example of buffoonery in the coaching is that Sammy Watkins was taken out of the game by double coverage from the safety. What, Sammy is only allowed to run deep routes along the sidelines? The safety can't get to him in time to cover on shorter routes. I simply can't believe the coaches couldn't come up with a way to target Sammy even once in the second half.

I'm still interested in hearing from the Rex supporters regarding some aspect of head coaching that Rex is above average in. I also find it interesting that last year it was the virtually unanimous opinion on this board that Rex was terrible. Which suggests that those supporting him now are doing so out of tribalism. Well, if he sucked as coach of the Jets, he probably was going to suck as coach of the Bills, and the record thus far seems to support that concept.

So which players have made a big play this season?

Honest answer: I don't know.

And I don't profess to know either. Doing so would be folly, IMO.

Honest answer: It is hard to specifically why there is a lack of big plays this year. Most likely reasons:

1.) Teams game planned better to neutralize our pass rush,

2.) Scheme/play calls not allowing our DL to rush

3.) Injuries & Mario can be invisible at times; can also play half-hearted too.

Gilmore has played damn well and so has Darby both stopped many drives -result of scheme and letting them play - possibly. They are also talented....

Hughes when rushing the passer has been disruptive. Coaching should work to alleviate his PF penalties though...

DBs have dropped many possibly INTs, but that is why they are DBs and not WRs...

LBs scheme requires a lot of lateral movement, Brown and Nigel are not good East & West runners

Not everything is black and white... coaching has been lousy and the execution has been to. Hard to blame it all on the players. The answer is in the middle, but is skewed towards coaching more IMO

At the end of the day there are issues with both

The best example of buffoonery in the coaching is that Sammy Watkins was taken out of the game by double coverage from the safety. What, Sammy is only allowed to run deep routes along the sidelines? The safety can't get to him in time to cover on shorter routes. I simply can't believe the coaches couldn't come up with a way to target Sammy even once in the second half.

I'm still interested in hearing from the Rex supporters regarding some aspect of head coaching that Rex is above average in. I also find it interesting that last year it was the virtually unanimous opinion on this board that Rex was terrible. Which suggests that those supporting him now are doing so out of tribalism. Well, if he sucked as coach of the Jets, he probably was going to suck as coach of the Bills, and the record thus far seems to support that concept.

The lack of using the middle of the field with the TE up the seam or slants is maddening. We have short dump offs or bombs, neither of which is sustainable. Assuming that our coaches know what they are doing; these aren't being called due to player skill limitations, or very conservative play calling to eliminate LB INTs (which could be lack of skill on TTs part)....

Honest answer: It is hard to specifically why there is a lack of big plays this year. Most likely reasons:

1.) Teams game planned better to neutralize our pass rush,

2.) Scheme/play calls not allowing our DL to rush

3.) Injuries & Mario can be invisible at times; can also play half-hearted too.

Gilmore has played damn well and so has Darby both stopped many drives -result of scheme and letting them play - possibly. They are also talented....

Hughes when rushing the passer has been disruptive. Coaching should work to alleviate his PF penalties though...

DBs have dropped many possibly INTs, but that is why they are DBs and not WRs...

LBs scheme requires a lot of lateral movement, Brown and Nigel are not good East & West runners

Not everything is black and white... coaching has been lousy and the execution has been to. Hard to blame it all on the players. The answer is in the middle, but is skewed towards coaching more IMO

At the end of the day there are issues with both

Biggest thing - Rex is a players coach. He isn't going to publicly rip his guys for messing up. He might say something in meetings etc, but to the media he'll usually accept responsibility.

The accountability for a Rex team has to come from the leaders. And this defense doesn't seem to have any. That's why he wanted to bring in harris, and some of his old jets guys. They lead and make sure to motivate. Kyle and Aaron williams both being out has a major effect on the team and its pretty obvious.

If we lose Kyle, i expect we bring in a few veteran RR guys. Wouldn't be surprised to see us move on from Mario too - he doesn't want to play in this scheme and doesn't play hard half of the game.

Biggest thing - Rex is a players coach. He isn't going to publicly rip his guys for messing up. He might say something in meetings etc, but to the media he'll usually accept responsibility.

The accountability for a Rex team has to come from the leaders. And this defense doesn't seem to have any. That's why he wanted to bring in harris, and some of his old jets guys. They lead and make sure to motivate. Kyle and Aaron williams both being out has a major effect on the team and its pretty obvious.

If we lose Kyle, i expect we bring in a few veteran RR guys. Wouldn't be surprised to see us move on from Mario too - he doesn't want to play in this scheme and doesn't play hard half of the game.

Didn't sound like he is taking responsibility for yesterday's coaching mistakes. And really, if you see his responses, they are the plain Jane, garden variety Jauronic answers just expressed more impressively. In short, he states the obvious but the following week is more of the same

The OP is just flat wrong. It doesn't come down to "just coaching" and "nothing more". It comes down to turnovers. In the 5 wins that this team has, they were +3, +3, Even, +1, and +4 in turnovers. That's +11 for 5 games folks. In our 6 losses, they were -1, -1, -1, -3, Even, and -2. That's -8 for 6 games. Turnovers are the single biggest statistical factor to winning and losing in the NFL. Go -1 in turnovers and history says you lose 90% of the time. Go -2 and that climbs to over 95%. I'm not going to sit here and say that coaching doesn't have a little to do with it, but it comes down to players not losing the football and giving the other team more opportunities to get the win.

The OP is just flat wrong. It doesn't come down to "just coaching" and "nothing more". It comes down to turnovers. In the 5 wins that this team has, they were +3, +3, Even, +1, and +4 in turnovers. That's +11 for 5 games folks. In our 6 losses, they were -1, -1, -1, -3, Even, and -2. That's -8 for 6 games. Turnovers are the single biggest statistical factor to winning and losing in the NFL. Go -1 in turnovers and history says you lose 90% of the time. Go -2 and that climbs to over 95%. I'm not going to sit here and say that coaching doesn't have a little to do with it, but it comes down to players not losing the football and giving the other team more opportunities to get the win.

Well coached teams usually excel at not turning the ball over....

He didn't accept responsibility yesterday....It was blamed on the Chiefs scoreboard personnel. Really? I think all of us know that the home team will never show that kind of replay on the screen.

Didn't sound like he is taking responsibility for yesterday's coaching mistakes. And really, if you see his responses, they are the plain Jane, garden variety Jauronic answers just expressed more impressively. In short, he states the obvious but the following week is more of the same

it is very impressive; he is a great speaker. It's all coach speak and he has been a HC for awhile, no excuse for issues with challenges. I don't expect perfection, but you need to learn from it and grow - he hasn't...he's actually down right stubborn. It's sad because I do like the guy and want him to succeed but he needs to 'Walk the Talk'....

Well coached teams usually excel at not turning the ball over....

He didn't accept responsibility yesterday....It was blamed on the Chiefs scoreboard personnel. Really? I think all of us know that the home team will never show that kind of replay on the screen.

it is very impressive; he is a great speaker. It's all coach speak and he has been a HC for awhile, no excuse for issues with challenges. I don't expect perfection, but you need to learn from it and grow - he hasn't...he's actually down right stubborn. It's sad because I do like the guy and want him to succeed but he needs to 'Walk the Talk'....

2 challenges didn't cost us the game. The defenses inability to tackle, fill their gaps, cover, or rush the passer more than cost us that game.