How do you justify watching football?

I've been a Bills fan for 20 years, but I'm thinking of quitting football fandom all together after this season. Every time I see some awful-looking concussion or hit to the head....Corey Graham's eyes rolling back in Week 1 this year, AJ Green getting clobbered tonight, etc. etc. etc. etc.....or read an article like this one on Torell Troup and his pain and pill-popping to stay on the field http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/11/21/torell-troup-one-pick-ahead-of-gronk/, I think, "How can I justify giving money to this institution?" Even if I argue, "Well, these are pretty well-compensated adults doing it because they want to," the existence of big-time football helps maintain the existence of little kid football, where thousands of minors are getting brain injuries before they're mature enough to make their own decisions.

I love the game, tailgates, the Ralph crowd, all of it, but I just don't think I can do it any more. So real sincere question - how do you justify it?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a tough sport for tough people. I'm quite certain that if your cause picked up enough steam to have any impact that roughly 100% of the grown men you're so anxious to protect would prefer it if you would kindly mind your own business. They desperately want the opportunity that you think would be compassionate to take away from them.

And the thing with the children is so attenuated that it really doesn't deserve much discussion. You can make an argument against virtually anything if you're willing to stretch that far.

How do you justify automobiles?

Sure, I really enjoy the convenience, but every time I hear of a car accident death, I feel like maybe it's all just not worth it. People dying while big companies are getting rich.

How do you justify this thread?

Sure, you're voicing your opinion, but can you really justify all the time you are wasting of those that have clicked on this?

Exactly like military, police, firemen, etc. I think the issue is players who do not take care of themselves, use drugs and other things like HGH, Ritalin, steroids, etc to make them more than their body is capable of resulting in them not being able to play without hitting themselves. Each of these players are trying to get better than they normally would be to make more money or compete when they could not otherwise. In additional there are players who deliberately violate rules injuring other players like Suh but the NFLPA protects them rather than protecting rest of the players and protect the players using drugs, HGH, Ritalin, steroids, etc; they even tried to stop NFL from requiring additional pads! Make the game safer by getting the players who violate rules out!

Getting more and more difficult mostly because of the grotesque concussions but also because of the expanding corporatism of the sport (e.g. breast cancer awareness/military revenues, public financing of billionaires' stadiums, etc. (not to mention the perpetual forgiveness of violent crimes but none for smoking weed)).

It's a tough sport for tough people. I'm quite certain that if your cause picked up enough steam to have any impact that roughly 100% of the grown men you're so anxious to protect would prefer it if you would kindly mind your own business. They desperately want the opportunity that you think would be compassionate to take away from them.

And the thing with the children is so attenuated that it really doesn't deserve much discussion. You can make an argument against virtually anything if you're willing to stretch that far.

Except that it's getting clearer every day that blows to the head are really bad for you and football is the only sport where they happen on almost every play and are part of the game.

It's the kid issue that is the tough one. I can't imagine letting a kid play football hear days. A million other safer sports where a kid can be tough.

Edited by Observer

T

How do you justify automobiles?

Sure, I really enjoy the convenience, but every time I hear of a car accident death, I feel like maybe it's all just not worth it. People dying while big companies are getting rich.

How do you justify this thread?

Sure, you're voicing your opinion, but can you really justify all the time you are wasting of those that have clicked on this?

How do you justify being a fan of a temperamental rag armed midget twerp who never won an NFL playoff game.

Edited by Billsmovinup

Except that it's getting clearer every day that blows to the head are really bad for you and football is the only sport where they happen on almost every play and are part of the game.

It's the kid issue that is the tough one. I can't imagine letting a kid play football hear days. A million other safer sports where a kid can be tough.

What's your point?

For me, my reasons for not wanting to waste time watching are a little different. The absolute inconsistency of officiating (especially in holding and pass interference calls), and just blown/missed calls, has become a joke. And then there's the "no loyalty" by 99% of the players...I mean no loyalty to the city & fans they play for. Many fans' lives revolve around the NFL season, but the players couldn't care less...offer'em more $$$ and they're gone in a heartbeat.

So yeah, over the past 10 years, I have definitely cut way back my time watching NFL games. Sure I'll try to watch all the Bills games, but I don't go out of my way to watch, especially if they stink...and that has been often over the last 10 years, LOL.

For me, my reasons for not wanting to waste time watching are a little different. The absolute inconsistency of officiating (especially in holding and pass interference calls), and just blown/missed calls, has become a joke. And then there's the "no loyalty" by 99% of the players...I mean no loyalty to the city & fans they play for. Many fans' lives revolve around the NFL season, but the players couldn't care less...offer'em more $$$ and they're gone in a heartbeat.

So yeah, over the past 10 years, I have definitely cut way back my time watching NFL games. Sure I'll try to watch all the Bills games, but I don't go out of my way to watch, especially if they stink...and that has been often over the last 10 years, LOL.

I agree with you on the officiating, but loyalty is a two way street, and fans and organizations are loyal only so long as it's convenient.