Why not Extend Incognito Now?

I would like to see both Cogs, and Glenn resigned before they both become free agents.

AGREE !!!!

Although Glenn is far more likely to put himself out there on the open market. He and his agent have to be thinking someone will overpay for him …. we will see if this team has learned anything from the Jason Peters debacle.

I was thinking the same thing--like 2 years at 3.5 per

For a team that is consistently vying for the super bowl, a player doesn't have to think twice to sign with the patriots. The Bills on the other hand, I can see why a player would wait.

I tbink Incognito is such a changed man he may stay pit of principle

AGREE !!!!

Although Glenn is far more likely to put himself out there on the open market. He and his agent have to be thinking someone will overpay for him …. we will see if this team has learned anything from the Jason Peters debacle.

So the Bills should overpay for him then? Why? he is not even in the same solar system as Peters as far as play goes.

Checkout his holding calls this season.

So the Bills should overpay for him then? Why? he is not even in the same solar system as Peters as far as play goes.

Checkout his holding calls this season.

I don't think that's what CSBill is saying. I think he's saying that wrapping up Glenn now - before Incognito or anyone else - is the smart move simply because he plays LT and that's a position that's likely to get overpaid on the open market. I agree in general although the LT position has come down in importance and value over the past few years while the other OL positions, including OG, have increased. There is one specific issue with the AFCE however. The DTs in this division are brutal so quality interior line play is of premium importance compared to most.

The other factor that we don't know is how willing Glenn and Incognito are to extend. I'd suspect Glenn would be more likely to want to test free agency due to the league-wide value of LTs. Incognito is going to be looking for a deal that sees him until retirement and, while he will also want to make as much as possible, he will also have to be realistic. He's not getting a contract in line with his performance because of his past issues and he'll have to accept clauses that protect the team he plays for in the event of suspension. Due to his baggage there is also going to be a lot more uncertainty of what he will fetch on the market. That alone should make him much more willing to get a deal done early. Additionally the Bills have a great need at OG due to lack of other talent there and divisional strength at DT, they're familiar with each other and it is certain Incognito fits the scheme very well. They're a great match and he's probably worth more to the Bills than just about any other team, so why not get it done?

So if all else was equal I'd get the LT locked up before the RG. In this case I touch base with Glenn and see where they stand. If he seems eager to do a reasonable deal I get that done. As that's unlikely I let them know that since we are so far apart I'm moving on to Incognito and that I'll be back in touch. It seems like the first part of that has happened so I'd like to see Incognito locked up. The real question is, how much and how long? Probably a 4-5 year deal that is more of a 3 (or maybe 4) year deal in reality. I don't see the $3M-$3.5M range getting it done, but I'm still thinking about how his I'd go. Here is what RGs make:

http://overthecap.com/position/right-guard/