Suh "Sack

peterpan

my bad (maybe) for some reason I thought it had to reach or cross the LOS

A ball carrier, in any location, commits intentional grounding when throwing a pass that does not reach the line of scrimmage; for instance, throwing the football down near himself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intentional_grounding

Here's the actual verbiage (from the 2015 NFL rule book):

"Intentional grounding will not be called when a passer, who is outside, or has been outside, the tackle position throws a forward pass that lands at or beyond the line of scrimmage, even if no offensive player(s) have a realistic chance to catch the ball (including when the ball lands out of bounds over the sideline or endline). If the ball crosses the line of scrimmage (extended) beyond the sideline, there is no intentional grounding. If a loose ball leaves the area bordered by the tackles, this area no longer exists; if the ball is recovered, all intentional grounding rules apply as if the passer is outside this area."

So as long as the ball passes the LOS before it lands, regardless of whether or not the ball is in bounds at the time it passes the LOS, then there's no intentional grounding.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

did it?

or are you just saying that wishfully?

my bad (maybe) for some reason I thought it had to reach or cross the LOS

A ball carrier, in any location, commits intentional grounding when throwing a pass that does not reach the line of scrimmage; for instance, throwing the football down near himself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intentional_grounding

What are you watching? The ball not only goes past the line of scrimmage, it appears to go past the first down marker as well.

It's odd that someone doesn't want the league to become even more subject to the capricious judgement of officials? If we're so worried about preventing any conceivable injury, why not just change the game to two-hand touch?

Are you speaking of me? I am not criticizing the call at all !

I am pissed that Tyrod kept fighting against a guy that has bad intentions usually. Officiating is what it is.

So not sure why the two hand touch comment KD ??

I was wondering if he'd get fined for this

@AP_NFL: Suh apologizes to his mom for profane language during game https://t.co/kivHCtVuCh@steve_wine #Dolphins #NFL

I thought it was a rule ?!

Are you speaking of me? I am not criticizing the call at all !

I am pissed that Tyrod kept fighting against a guy that has bad intentions usually. Officiating is what it is.

So not sure why the two hand touch comment KD ??

:blink:

This clarification is from 1991 when they changed the original rule.

The "in-the-grasp" rule, proposed by Jerry Seeman, the league's new supervisor of officials, clarifies a rule that has been one of the NFL's most controversial since it took effect in 1978.

"If a quarterback is scrambling from the pocket and one man gets his hand on him, he's not down," Seeman said. "It takes effect only when the man is being held up and there are other defenders around to grab him. He can be in control but the whistle blows only when he's in danger of injury."

alright, i give up my crusade.

When Suh was coming down on him i wished he went down quickly. watching him run while Suh had a hand on him was noble and commendable. Love the Guy!!

But he needs to protect himself too.

/ rant

The guys have to make plays, not wimp out hoping not to get hurt.

This clarification is from 1991 when they changed the original rule.

The "in-the-grasp" rule, proposed by Jerry Seeman, the league's new supervisor of officials, clarifies a rule that has been one of the NFL's most controversial since it took effect in 1978.

"If a quarterback is scrambling from the pocket and one man gets his hand on him, he's not down," Seeman said. "It takes effect only when the man is being held up and there are other defenders around to grab him. He can be in control but the whistle blows only when he's in danger of injury."

Thank you.

The guys have to make plays, not wimp out hoping not to get hurt.

Thank you.

I agree and disagree. Can't make plays on the sidelines in street clothes. A healthy Taylor is the only way we make the postseason this year. Don't want to see him get hurt doing something that has a low chance of success.

I agree and disagree. Can't make plays on the sidelines in street clothes. A healthy Taylor is the only way we make the postseason this year. Don't want to see him get hurt doing something that has a low chance of success.

Depends on what the situation is. On that Suh play, TT played it perfectly. I was pissed on another play where he scrambled for a first down but went head first instead of sliding.

Depends on what the situation is. On that Suh play, TT played it perfectly. I was pissed on another play where he scrambled for a first down but went head first instead of sliding.

Yeah but 3rd's point was a guy like Suh may have done something dirty and hurt him. That's why he was worried.

Yeah but 3rd's point was a guy like Suh may have done something dirty and hurt him. That's why he was worried.

like you said, losing Tyrod again is too much to overcome.

The kid did what he thought was right. And Bravo indeed for him. But as fan i just was waiting for that yank. Some have said Suh may not have had enough grasp to get him down with one arm. I think he could have.

Its not a point of contention just as Chan has kindly clarified ( ty). we need the kid to play smart with his body and live another day

:thumbsup:

Just out of curiosity, what did you guys want to see TT do in that situation, instead of what he did?

roll up in a ball and cry :nana:

Look at it this way - 3 sacks per game is never good. Throwing the ball away at the last second to avoid a sack is better but hides the fact that the sack # per game would be closer to 4+ per game. 3 sacks per game is as bad as .... never mind

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Different quarterbacks do get treated differently by the refs, and for good reason. I recall Vick complaining that he wouldn't get the roughing the passer calls other QBs would get. Obviously, that was a result of Vick's style, and I suspect that there is that sort of judgment being applied here, and rightfully so. That play probably would have been called a sack on other QBs, including Brady. But, the refs know that TT has far more ability to escape a sack than most QBs and were willing to give him the chance.

If Suh is a little gun-shy in how punishing he is to the QB, based on his past performances, and subsequent fines, and suspensions, he has nobody to blame but himself. And, the majority of those instances occurred after the whistle was blown. That's what has made Suh one of the dirtiest players in the league.

But, nobody was stopping Suh from wrapping up TT, other than his own inability, and TT's ability. Suh knows how to make a legal sack without "slamming the f**k"out of the quarterback. The refs made the right call, imo.

Different quarterbacks do get treated differently by the refs, and for good reason. I recall Vick complaining that he wouldn't get the roughing the passer calls other QBs would get. Obviously, that was a result of Vick's style, and I suspect that there is that sort of judgment being applied here, and rightfully so. That play probably would have been called a sack on other QBs, including Brady. But, the refs know that TT has far more ability to escape a sack than most QBs and were willing to give him the chance.

If Suh is a little gun-shy in how punishing he is to the QB, based on his past performances, and subsequent fines, and suspensions, he has nobody to blame but himself. And, the majority of those instances occurred after the whistle was blown. That's what has made Suh one of the dirtiest players in the league.

But, nobody was stopping Suh from wrapping up TT, other than his own inability, and TT's ability. Suh knows how to make a legal sack without "slamming the f**k"out of the quarterback. The refs made the right call, imo.

This point should not go unnoticed.

If that's P. Manning or Tom Brady (a/k/a guys that don't have escapability) that play is more likely to get blown dead than it is for Russ Wilson, Kaepernick, or Taylor.

like you said, losing Tyrod again is too much to overcome.

The kid did what he thought was right. And Bravo indeed for him. But as fan i just was waiting for that yank. Some have said Suh may not have had enough grasp to get him down with one arm. I think he could have.

Its not a point of contention just as Chan has kindly clarified ( ty). we need the kid to play smart with his body and live another day

:thumbsup:

Yep!!! And people slack The French. ;-)