Dennis Thurman is Rex Ryan's Albatross

dezertbill

I'm afraid you're missing the (or at least MY) point: Thurman is just doing what Rex is asking for. Thurman may even be MORE talented than Rex, we don't know - he's a puppet. Rex is the guy behind all this nonsense. But he sure talks a good game...

I'm not totally missing your point. I'm just saying Rex is one of these guys who takes loyalty to the extreme in that he probably won't even consider replacing his DC. Just listening to Thurman speak, he doesn't come across as a very bright guy, so I can't really see Thurman doing a better job on his own w/o Rex. And he probably is just a puppet, so this may all be on Rex as you say. Either way, I hope something changes for the better one way or another.

I'm not totally missing your point. I'm just saying Rex is one of these guys who takes loyalty to the extreme in that he probably won't even consider replacing his DC. Just listening to Thurman speak, he doesn't come across as a very bright guy, so I can't really see Thurman doing a better job on his own w/o Rex. And he probably is just a puppet, so this may all be on Rex as you say. Either way, I hope something changes for the better one way or another.

I totally get where you're coming from. Rex IS too loyal. He's in a rut of mediocre, at best. But he sure can sell!

I wonder if maybe Rex is letting his albatross run things. Give him the reigns. Let Dennis do what he wants. Doesn't look like a Rex D to me. We don't blitz very much. Did Rex drop DL into coverage in Jersey? I swear sometimes it looks like we're running the Flex Defense.

Whenever they show Rex on the sidelines when we don't have the football, looks like Dennis is busy. Calling in plays, signaling, etc. Rex looks to be just standing there disinterested.

Maybe one of the things Rex did at his last gig that he thinks was a mistake was being too involved in the D?

Edited by reddogblitz

Preston Brown and Bradham and Manny Lawson are not 3-4 Linebackers.

Kyle and Marcel....they are not 3-4 DEs.

This is Whaley and Pegulas fault....if this doesn't get fixed. They were either duped in the interview over discussions of scheme or they're both idiots. This team needed an offensive Coach and retain Schwartz.

It is absolutely hilarious that before the season all the talk was about how Rex was going to make this D one of the best, if not the best, in the league. I don't even think most people knew who Dennis Thurman was.

And now that it's not going well? Ahh, errr, uhh it's obviously Thurman's fault!

I wonder if maybe Rex is letting his albatross run things. Give him the reigns. Let Dennis do what he wants. Doesn't look like a Rex D to me. We don't blitz very much. Did Rex drop DL into coverage in Jersey? I swear sometimes it looks like we're running the Flex Defense.

Whenever they show Rex on the sidelines when we don't have the football, looks like Dennis is busy. Calling in plays, signaling, etc. Rex looks to be just standing there disinterested.

Maybe one of the things Rex did at his last gig that he thinks was a mistake was being too involved in the D?

I agree. Although this is Rex's defense And he has input its Thurman making the calls. For him to admit that he has to see what he's asking his players to do signifies to me that he's not fully aware of what Thurman is asking our front to do.