Kickoffs

norton20

Has anyone heard anything about whether the Bills are going with Dan Carpenter to kick off? With Cundiff gone it certainly looks like it but i haven't heard this mentioned. While I understand the arguments against keeping 2 kickers, I was in favor of keeping Gay. I thought he did an excellent job at what he did and teams rarely got outside the 20. What they did last week made little sense to me. If Cundiff didn't beat out Carpenter during the week then why cut Gay and make yourself weaker at that position? Especially in light of cutting Cundiff this week it makes even less sense. I never thought Carpenter had the strongest leg on kickoffs but I guess we'll see.

I am wondering if they are waiting until Karlos is healthy. Then they cut Boom and re-sign Gay.

They would get rid of Cierre Wood I believe before Boom.

edit just saw that Ik was activated and that wood was IR'ed. I'm guessing that Boom stays until Shady and Karlos are healthy.

Edited by justnzane

I think the thought on cutting Gay is that there is/was little risk as he's unlikely to get picked up elsewhere, ie there's very few teams where replacing their current KO guy w/ Gay would warrant the roster position.

They likely signed Cundiff as competition &/or motivation for Carpenter. When the need for the extra roster spot arose &/or it was apparent that Cundiff was inferior to Gay & (at least for this week) Carpenter performed well, they let him go.

Assuming they stay w/ Carpenter, I'd say it's quite likely that Gay will be re-signed. If not this week, but soon.

Waiting for the day when a kicker does ALL of the "kicking". Have ur backup QB as the placeholder and ur kicker handles kickoffs, punts & FGs.

I am amazed it hasn't happened yet. If you are a young kid with a big leg why would you not be trying to perfect all 3... if you did 2 excellently and one at least effectively you would guarantee yourself a job in the NFL for 15 years.

If Taylor can't go, we needed a spot for the new QB no? Getting rid of only kickoff guy in league makes sense to me. If you wanna keep guys like Dixon and Easly , make Em earn their keep on kicks that only get to the 5.

Edited by plenzmd1