Rex: It's the players' defense,not the "Rex Ryan" D

YoloinOhio

that's pretty cool, that's a lot to put on Preston Brown's shoulders as such a young guy but his dad was a football coach so he probably has at least a little bit of that in him. still, that's kind of intimidating to to be asked to be a leader in that room full of pro bowl linemen as a 22 yr old

You're right, it probably is. What's more impressive to me is how Brown responded this week on the field after being asked to take such a strong leadership position. Winning AFC Defensive Player of the Week after a week of leading the defensive meeting room is the definition of walking the walk after talking the talk. Love me some Preston Brown.

And then Rex comes up with something like this:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000542610/article/rex-patriots-were-clearly-trying-to-embarrass-bills

Was he giving the D credit or blame? Sometimes I wish he'd just shut his trap.

You don't shut your trap so why should he have to? He isn't saying anything that's not truem Edited by Beef Jerky

Did the team paste the Dolphins?

They did indeed paste the Dolphins. All the credit in the world for that and week one. And much of the Pats game as well. I just find it odd that he was still dwelling on the Pats* and not moving forward. Is this the best method in the long term? I don't know... and only time will tell. He seems to be entirely likable and a guy you'd want to have a beer with. I'm curious to see how his style plays out long term. I hope it's great. I'd prefer the "moving on" approach, not the "they tried to embarrass us" approach. I get being proud of the guys for staying in it, but not the sour grapes part.

EDIT: If we kick their butts next time I'll be the first to cheer. But the problem wasn't getting the players fired up enough (maybe quite the opposte!) The problem was scheme and execution.

Edited by Augie

They did indeed paste the Dolphins. All the credit in the world for that and week one. And much of the Pats game as well. I just find it odd that he was still dwelling on the Pats* and not moving forward. Is this the best method in the long term? I don't know... and only time will tell. He seems to be entirely likable and a guy you'd want to have a beer with. I'm curious to see how his style plays out long term. I hope it's great. I'd prefer the "moving on" approach, not the "they tried to embarrass us" approach. I get being proud of the guys for staying in it, but not the sour grapes part.

EDIT: If we kick their butts next time I'll be the first to cheer. But the problem wasn't getting the players fired up enough (maybe quite the opposte!) The problem was scheme and execution.

i think I caught part of this interview. It was actually something that he didn't really bring up - it's hard to explain but it made sense within context and didnt sound like he was dwelling. I think they pieced together some different comments for this article. Edited by YoloinOhio

i think I caught part of this interview. It was actually something that he didn't really bring up - it's hard to explain but it made sense within context and didnt sound like he was dwelling. I think they pieced together some different comments for this article.

I was just about to say that context is probably important here. Wouldn't be surprised if it was said half-jokingly.

i think I caught part of this interview. It was actually something that he didn't really bring up - it's hard to explain but it made sense within context and didnt sound like he was dwelling. I think they pieced together some different comments for this article.

OK, thanks. I'm not at all surprised if the media did something like that. I agree he didn't say anything untrue, but the way they make it sound it's unappealing. Winning cures all....

And then Rex comes up with something like this:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000542610/article/rex-patriots-were-clearly-trying-to-embarrass-bills

Was he giving the D credit or blame? Sometimes I wish he'd just shut his trap.

context my friend, watch the presser again. its just a comment while talking about the team getting better

Really? My experience is that most think that he's a good coach, but can't control his mouth and that gets him and the team into trouble.

Pats* game, case in point - after all the pregame hype, the common refrain I heard on Monday was "Same ol Rex"

A lot of what I'm hearing from him, though, is the type of public comments that can be used to motivate players. "It's the players' D" is a perfect case in point: some people would undoubtedly interpret that as Ryan trying to avoid responsibility. It's just as likely (if not more so) that it's an indirect statement to motivate the players to perform. It depends on how much they respect him, ultimately.

He does tend to run his mouth, but he seems to be reigning it in more than he did in NYC. Don't know, though, if that's because he learned his lesson, or because of sampling bias where we, as out-of-market viewers, would only hear the worst examples that made the national sports news.

I get it. Context. I never saw the presser and just read the article. Admitted.

Hey brother i wrote before i saw that you were caught up.

I would never call you out.

my wording may be misconstrued sometimes .

I am always the lamb at heart.

My timing when posting is atrocious. i read the whole thread from front to back and send up notes as i see fit as i go.

you should know me by now Augie

:nana:

Hey brother i wrote before i saw that you were caught up.

I would never call you out.

my wording may be misconstrued sometimes .

I am always the lamb at heart.

My timing when posting is atrocious. i read the whole thread from front to back and send up notes as i see fit as i go.

you should know me by now Augie

:nana:

Zero problem whatsoever. I get it.

A lot of what I'm hearing from him, though, is the type of public comments that can be used to motivate players. "It's the players' D" is a perfect case in point: some people would undoubtedly interpret that as Ryan trying to avoid responsibility. It's just as likely (if not more so) that it's an indirect statement to motivate the players to perform. It depends on how much they respect him, ultimately.

He does tend to run his mouth, but he seems to be reigning it in more than he did in NYC. Don't know, though, if that's because he learned his lesson, or because of sampling bias where we, as out-of-market viewers, would only hear the worst examples that made the national sports news.

I dont feel he will be as boisterous as before. In his pressers he has some fun wit, but is cautious.

Good sense of humor. But if a media type grabs a single sentence I could see it being misconstrued.

He cracks me up actually

:)

That's not what I was commenting on. I was relaying what I'm hearing from the locals.

It's interesting living in what is mostly a NYC football market as people here generally think Rex sucks. I know he is still in his honeymoon in B-lo but man does he ever seem to have the ingredients of being an outstanding coach. I think he got burned by the owner and GM in NY.

Look what he has done for this franchise in three games. The really cool thing is that there is still a ton of upside if Whaley and the bean counters keep the core of this roster together over the upcoming years. If Whaley puts together a draft next year that is in the same zip code as the one he had this year the future will look bright indeed.

They thought BB sucked in Cleveland to......I wonder if Rex has ever had the support system anywhere like he has had it here?

My thoughts as well.

He's being completely sincere and honest which I admire. At the same time it may seem to backfire on him at times.

Well he's gotta be Rex. He freely admits his mistake in regards to the NE dust up. Us old folks can still learn sometimes.

They thought BB sucked in Cleveland to......I wonder if Rex has ever had the support system anywhere like he has had it here?

Good point John, seems like everyone is rowing in the same direction to me !

I hear it mostly from the guys in the locker room where I work out. A couple of them are diehard Jets fans. Before the season started they both said B-lo will regret the hire. They would agree with the idea he runs his mouth too much but they also added that he has no talent with the offense and his team was "sloppy."

Again, it's early days in Buffalo but Rex does seem like he has learned from his NY experience.

To me the biggest question will be whether he and Whaley remain on the same page.

Has there been anything to indicate otherwise?

Rex has got his wishes in Whaley getting Tyrod, Incognito, and Harvin into the line up. He has let Whaley bring in Shady, Miller, Williams and Darby