A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

Bill from NYC

Well, Boobie blocked several punts last year and came close again today.

good call, I missed that

I keep hearing that but Im not seeing it. I see Easely make plays. Maybe Im not following ST enough to notice, but I think it's clear FJ is much better in the backfield

Couple other points while I have the mic:

- Rex really is a defensive genius. With Dareus and McKelvin out, and starting a rookie as #2 DB, we would have gotten smoked last year with Schwartz showing the same look. Rex mixed it up, and anticipated well the adjustments Colts would make, and also their pass-first tendency

- I know everyone is excited, but TT better have his "A" game next week. You can bet Pats are going to come up with a better game plan having a full game of film and an extra week to prepare. In particular I see them taking away his tendency to throw in the flats, and make him prove he can beat them with throws over the middle

while you have the mic - love it.... :thumbsup:

agreed 1000% with your second point; I would say w/out hesitation BB's game plan will be far more challenging than Pagano's, esp. since BB has now seen TT in action (albeit, only a single game as a body of work...)

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very good post, John. Agree with all of that. TT not panicking was my biggest takeaway, too. He really didn't throw a terrible ball the entire game. If he doesn't make mistakes, which he didn't, we should be scary. I was especially impressed with the way he led backs on swing passes and usually hit McCoy in perfect stride.

Another thing great about this game was all three teams were prepared and played well except for the penalties (which cannot be ignored). The offense, defense, and special teams were all well prepared and played well.

I am an avid admirer of Russell Wilson. Right from the start he played with maturity and poise. If he were four or five inches taller he would be receiving more accolades and recongnition than he is currently receiving. And he is already recognized as one of the better qbs in the league!!! Wilson has excellent stats. But even with his high end stats they don't define how special he is. It is his mental grasp of the game that elevate him as a player.

I don't want to get carried away in my bias with the home town qb. But when I watch TT (admittedly a very small sample) I seem to watch a qb playing a very similar game. A lot of people gush over TT's running and scrambling ability. That isn't what is getting me excited. It is the mature way he plays and it is the beautiful ball he throws. He has a good arm, he is accurate and he has a great touch on the ball depending on situation.

Whenever I see TT scramble I watch how he usually keeps his eyes downfield. That is what Wilson does when he is moving away from pressure. TT doesn't have to match Wilson for our offense to make a major leap forward. If he can play even at a lesser but similar style of game then the Bills should be very hopeful about their prospects this year and in the future.

Edited by JohnC

I am an avid admirer of Russell Wilson. Right from the start he played with maturity and poise. If he were four or five inches taller he would be receiving more accolades and recongnition than he is currently receiving. And he is already recognized as one of the better qbs in the league!!! Wilson has excellent stats. But even with his high end stats they don't define how special he is. It is his mental grasp of the game that elevate him as a player.

I don't want to get carried away in my bias with the home town qb. But when I watch TT (admittedly a very small sample) I seem to watch a qb playing a very similar game. A lot of people gush over TT's running and scrambling ability. That isn't what is getting me excited. It is the mature way he plays and it is the beautiful ball he throws. He has a good arm, he is accurate and he has a great touch on the ball depending on situation.

Whenever I see TT scramble I watch how he usually keeps his eyes downfield. That is what Wilson does when he is moving away from pressure. TT doesn't have to match Wilson for our offense to make a major leap forward. If he can play even at a lesser but similar style of game then the Bills should be very hopeful about their prospects this year and in the future.

Great insight here. TT's pocket game has been a revelation as he's clearly looking to find an open guy before taking off most of the time. He's a 180 from where he was in college in that regard.

I don't think we realize just how hard it is for a QB to remake himself like that. It's a testament to his intelligence and work ethic, which I've heard are off the charts.

GO BILLS!!!

I have said this endless times here, that Russell Wilson is a total freak and no one should be compared to him and there has never been another player like him and probably never will. He was great at 19 out of 20 things you want in an NFL QB except height. He had one of the best college seasons of all time (without looking it up like a 193 rating and 37 TDs versus 5 or so INT, whatever). EVERYONE, including the Seahawks thought his height would affect him in the NFL and it just didn't.

Taylor played great but he has a long, long way to go before he can be considered like Wilson. He had a great, great start today. It's possible that lightning has struck twice. But Taylor never showed a lot of the stuff that Wilson did in college or in the pros, although he is starting to now. He's very smart, and he's a great leader, and he is making great decisions right now. If he continues this, though, he could be something I doubted would happen.

I have said this endless times here, that Russell Wilson is a total freak and no one should be compared to him and there has never been another player like him and probably never will. He was great at 19 out of 20 things you want in an NFL QB except height. He had one of the best college seasons of all time (without looking it up like a 193 rating and 37 TDs versus 5 or so INT, whatever). EVERYONE, including the Seahawks thought his height would affect him in the NFL and it just didn't.

Taylor played great but he has a long, long way to go before he can be considered like Wilson. He had a great, great start today. It's possible that lightning has struck twice. But Taylor never showed a lot of the stuff that Wilson did in college or in the pros, although he is starting to now. He's very smart, and he's a great leader, and he is making great decisions right now. If he continues this, though, he could be something I doubted would happen.

Another good post. Wilson simply hasn't had to remake his game like Taylor.

GO BILLS!!!

I was about to take exception to your opinion on Kyle and Bryant, then I kept reading and have to agree... While they didn't change the game, they did their jobs- pressuring and collapsing the pocket... I have to ask.... Why dedicate this game to a fan who made that terrible decision? While I don't what to make light of whatever issues he was going through, I'm not quite sure I agree with publicizing his decision as it may influence others who suffer from the same or similar mental illness..... I hope his family can find peace, though... Very sad....

Great insight here. TT's pocket game has been a revelation as he's clearly looking to find an open guy before taking off most of the time. He's a 180 from where he was in college in that regard.

I don't think we realize just how hard it is for a QB to remake himself like that. It's a testament to his intelligence and work ethic, which I've heard are off the charts.

GO BILLS!!!

RGIII is a good example that no matter how well you played in college the pro game is a different game. It doesn't matter how great your physical skills are unless you master the mental side of the game you will fail. With RGIII, without even considering his diva personality traits, unless he can develop better vision and master the mental side of the game he will struggle.

As you suggested it is a process of hard work and effort in learning how to play. Some people can grasp the intuitive side of the game and others will never get it. TT has an understanding what it takes. That is a good start and a good sign.

What I also liked about TT today was his intense nature on the sidelines--CBS showed him several times during the game talking intently either to a single player (Dixon comes to mind) or to large groups of the O. He had fire in his eyes and to an outsider at least looked like he knew what he was talking about. Rex and others have raved about his football IQ and I think on plays like the batted down batted pass showed it. We may have a real good one here, folks (fingers crossed)....

What I also liked about TT today was his intense nature on the sidelines--CBS showed him several times during the game talking intently either to a single player (Dixon comes to mind) or to large groups of the O. He had fire in his eyes and to an outsider at least looked like he knew what he was talking about. Rex and others have raved about his football IQ and I think on plays like the batted down batted pass showed it. We may have a real good one here, folks (fingers crossed)....

I think that is really the one reason why he may be very good. IMO there are about 20 different things you have to be good at to be a great NFL QB. A few of them, like leadership, and ability to read defenses pre-snap and change plays, and getting your teammates to believe in you are things that we as fans can't easily detect. It's not shown in accuracy or pocket presence or stats or highlight reels. But if you are going to be a good NFL QB you need this, too.

Pretty much everyone who has commented on this kind of thing has made a point out of saying that TT has it. Now, granted, coaches and players will always talk up their teammates. But this is a specific, important, thing, and they go out of their way to mention it.

I don't know if TT is going to be good. He has a good start but a LONG way to go. The reason I think he has a chance, however, is not his performance, it is this kind of stuff.

I think that is really the one reason why he may be very good. IMO there are about 20 different things you have to be good at to be a great NFL QB. A few of them, like leadership, and ability to read defenses pre-snap and change plays, and getting your teammates to believe in you are things that we as fans can't easily detect. It's not shown in accuracy or pocket presence or stats or highlight reels. But if you are going to be a good NFL QB you need this, too.

Pretty much everyone who has commented on this kind of thing has made a point out of saying that TT has it. Now, granted, coaches and players will always talk up their teammates. But this is a specific, important, thing, and they go out of their way to mention it.

I don't know if TT is going to be good. He has a good start but a LONG way to go. The reason I think he has a chance, however, is not his performance, it is this kind of stuff.

The reason I think he has a chance is because of his shirt.

buffalo-bills-tyrod-taylor-postgame-shir