Is Sam Aiken ready to step up as the #3 WR?

LabattBlue

Josh Reed will be back for another training camp, but even the most loyal Reed supporters(including me) don't have much faith anymore. Aiken will be entering his 3rd year and sometimes this is how long it takes before a WR steps his game up. He has got the ideal size to go over the middle and become a reliable target on 3rd downs.

Other options...

Freddie Smith

UFA willing to fill the role of the 3rd WR

I don't see a low round pick coming in and filling this role and I don't see the Bills using a 2nd or 3rd round pick on a wr.

Josh Reed will be back for another training camp, but even the most loyal Reed supporters(including me) don't have much faith anymore.  Aiken will be entering his 3rd year and sometimes this is how long it takes before a WR steps his game up.  He has got the ideal size to go over the middle and become a reliable target on 3rd downs.

Other options...

Freddie Smith

I don't see a low round pick coming in and filling this role and I don't see the Bills using a 2nd or 3rd round pick on a wr.

237860[/snapback]

No. The love for Aiken is unwarranted. He is not that fast or quick, drops too many passes and has a history of injury (Aiken=Achin'). He makes plays in practice, but not in the games. If Sleepy separates himself from Fast Freddy and the 7 stiffs in preseason games and that translates into being the #3.......great, but right now he's JAG.

I would say he is about a 50/50 to even make the team because he is in the vulnerable position of not being a top 2 receiver, not being a kick or punt retuner and not being an exceptional kick coverage man.

Josh Reed will be back for another training camp, but even the most loyal Reed supporters(including me) don't have much faith anymore.  Aiken will be entering his 3rd year and sometimes this is how long it takes before a WR steps his game up.  He has got the ideal size to go over the middle and become a reliable target on 3rd downs.

Other options...

Freddie Smith

237860[/snapback]

A few guys I like for this spot:

Travis Taylor, Alex Bannister

Jerome Mathis- big and fast he looks really good as a sleeper prospect

Chauncey Stovall- I love this kid, he look just like Moulds to me, he isnt the fastest but is built and makes the tough catches and gets the tough yards.

There is a chance that Josh steps up next year. Hear me out, Josh played great when we had two bonafide WR's and that where we will be again next year. Its almost like Josh will be a very good 3rd option if he has a deep threat (used to be Peerless, now Evans) and a star (Moulds). Maybe he reverts to what made us excited about him as our #2, a great #3 with Evans and Moulds ahead of him.

I havent seen ANYTHING in Aiken that would make me think that he is capable of being a #3 WR.  All I've seen from him is his knack for getting hurt and dropping passes with no defender around him.  Getting another WR will be a definite FA move this offseason.

237943[/snapback]

I tend to agree. And if we decide not to get a viable WR in Free Agency, I wouldn't be disappointed with giving Freddie/Jonathan/Jim Doe Smith a shot at the position.

Other options...

Freddie Smith

237860[/snapback]

He'd better or we're in bad shape in the receiving corps. Reed is turning into a bust and I have no idea why.

I'm really big on Dane Looker from the Rams. Here is a guy who couldnt get a shot because he was on the same team with Holt, Bruce and the surprising emergence of Shaun McDonald as a decent 3rd WR. Looker has some serious talent though, and he really came through in the playoffs when he was the only Rams WR without the dropsies. He'll come pretty cheap too...I'd definitely take a chance on him.

Hopefully Reed doesn't play as putrid as he has in the past but if he does then what Astobot said seems to have some value to it. If we get a 2nd or even a 3rd rder for TH then I'd love for us to trade the pick for Rod Gardner. What a trio of recievers that would be.

My blanket reply: neither Reed nor Aiken has shown enough to give the Bills the warm and fuzzies about them being a bonafide #3 WR. So that means signing one in FA or taking one in the draft if the FA route doesn't work. Evans emerged midway through last year, to complement Moulds, and Reed did squat. Aiken has been injury and drop prone. The Bills can't wait to see if they develop, just like they can't wait on Campbell and Euhus to come back from their ACL injuries. If they do, great, it's more depth.

Sam Aiken hasn't shown me enough to be confidant that he can be a quality #3 receiver, but from what Josh Reed has shown so far, he may not even make the team.

I think the Bills need to bring in someone else to be their #3 guy or a rookie who can compete with Reed & Aiken this season & who has the potential to become a starter or a very good #3 in the future

Some Potential mid to late round picks

Chris Henry

Official Bio College: West Virginia Height: 6-5

Position: Wide Receiver Weight: 195

Class: Junior 40-Yard: 4.5

SCOUTING REPORT

Strengths: Has been very productive the last two years...Is a big play waiting to happen...Has great size...Speed is good...Is an excellent natural athlete...Has great leaping ability and ball skills...Can run after the catch...Still has a ton of upside...A playmaker.

Weaknesses: Very raw and has a long ways to go in terms of technique and route running...Character is a major question mark...Very immature...Doesn't have a lot of experience...A project who will need a lot of development.

Notes: Has as much potential as any wideout available...Junior season was very turbulent and included team suspensions, temper tantrums and even a game ejection...Any team drafting him will be making a gamble on greatness with both a high risk as well as a high reward factor.

Jerome Mathis

Official Bio College: Hampton Height: 6-0

Position: Wide Receiver Weight: 180

Class: Senior 40-Yard: 4.41

SCOUTING REPORT

Strengths: Has good size...Excellent speed...Has been very productive...Physical player and very tough...Has all the confidence in the world...A big play waiting to happen who is a threat to score everytime he gets his hands on the ball...Also a tremendous return man.

Weaknesses: Played against a lower level of competition and the jump will require a lot of adjustment...Has some character questions that need to be answered...Needs to work on his hands...Still raw and will need to work hard and be developed to reach his full potential.

Notes: Also a track All-American at Hampton...Great sleeper prospect with all the physical tools you look for as well as a lot of upside...Could surprise on Draft Day.

Courtney Roby

Official Bio College: Indiana Height: 6-0

Position: Wide Receiver Weight: 190

Class: Senior 40-Yard: 4.38

SCOUTING REPORT

Strengths: Has excellent speed...Very quick...Good hands...Always a threat to run after the catch...Dangerous playmaker who defenses have to account for deep...Fearless and will give up his body to make the catch...Strong character and hard worker.

Weaknesses: Only average size...Has a slight frame and needs to bulk up and get stronger...Upside could be limited and he may top out as a #2 or slot receiver.

Notes: Also a top sprinter in college...Former NFL All-Pro punter Reggie Roby is Courtney’s cousin...Had a great senior campaign and really helped himself in terms of the draft.

Craphonso Thorpe

Official Bio College: Florida St. Height: 6-2

Position: Wide Receiver Weight: 175

Class: Senior 40-Yard: 4.37

SCOUTING REPORT

Strengths: Playmaker...Has great speed...Good height...Is a very good athlete...Has great leaping ability and can outjump cornerbacks...Knows how to go up and get the ball...Tough player who is willing to block...Hasn't yet reached his potential.

Weaknesses: Frame a little slight and could stand to add some weight...Needs to work on technique...Durability may be a question after he suffered a broken leg at the end of the 2003 season...Struggles to beat the bump....Not a great route runner.

Notes: Did not have the big senior year most were expecting...Also a track star for the Seminoles...Still getting better and still has some upside...Has the type of size, speed and athleticism that is sure to make scouts drool in workouts.

Vincent Jackson

Official Bio College: Northern Colorado Height: 6-6

Position: Wide Receiver Weight: 235

Class: Senior 40-Yard: 4.53

SCOUTING REPORT

Strengths: Excellent size and height...Good speed...Very good athletic ability...Strong...Has good hands...Will jump over defensive backs to make the grab...Also a good punt returner...A playmaker who has a knack for making the big play and scoring touchdowns.

Weaknesses: Did not play against a top level of competition...May be too big to play wideout in the pros and could grow into a tight end...Isn't a great route runner and doesn't look smooth...Inconsistent and needs to show more effort...Isn't much of a threat to run after the catch.

Notes: Prospect with a lot of upside and potential...Also played basketball in college...One of the top sleeper prospects in the draft and a player on the rise.

Chase Lyman

Official Bio College: California Height: 6-4

Position: Wide Receiver Weight: 210

Class: Senior 40-Yard: 4.45

SCOUTING REPORT

Strengths: Has excellent size and a solid build...Has excellent speed and is a good athlete...A physical receiver...Very productive when healthy...Smart player...Has good hands...Was having an excellent senior season before getting injured...Still has a high upside.

Weaknesses: Coming back from yet another injury and durability will be a major concern...Can't stay on the field...Most recent knee injury will have to check out...Still raw and hasn't played a lot...A boom or bust player who will be a major risk.

Notes: Father Brad played for UCLA and late the Houston Oilers in the NFL...Physical tools are very intriguing and he could end up being a steal if he can ever stay healthy.

Larry Brackins

Official Bio College: Pearl River Community College Height: 6-5

Position: Wide Receiver Weight: 220

Class: Sophomore 40-Yard: 4.55

SCOUTING REPORT

Strengths: Has great size and a huge frame...Is a tremendous leaper...Very strong...Is an amazing natural athlete...Has decent speed and quickness...Is physical and also a willing blocker...Runs well after the catch...A playmaker who knows how to go up and get the ball...Was very productive at his level...Has a ton of upside and could eventually develop into a star.

Weaknesses: Extremely raw and has a lot to learn...Has only played two years of college football...Was a big fish in a small pond and has not played against anything near top competition...There will be major questions about his learning capabilities since he couldn't get into a four year school...A lot of time will need to be invested in him and he won't pay immediate dividends...Downside is just as great as his upside and any team choosing him early will be taking a major risk.

Notes: The #1 JUCO recruit in the country according to Rivals...Was being recruited by the likes of Florida St., USC and Louisiana State...Developmental prospect with loads of potential but will need a lot of work and coaching...May be able to bulk up and become a dynamic, playmaking tight end...His will be a very interesting situation to watch play out as the Draft nears.

Roscoe Parrish

Official Bio College: Miami (FL) Height: 5-9

Position: Wide Receiver Weight: 172

Class: Junior 40-Yard: 4.35

SCOUTING REPORT

Strengths: Quick and very fast...An excellent punt returner...Very tough and plays bigger than he is...A threat to score every time he touches the ball...Shifty and very hard to tackle...Is a reliable target.

Weaknesses: Very short and has a frail frame...His ability to stay healthy and withstand the pounding he will take at the next level will be questioned...Probably doesn't have the size to be much more than a backup and special teams player in the pros.

Notes: Had a nice junior campaign and was the Hurricanes leading receiver...Exciting player who is fun to watch but his lack of size will limit him in terms of pro potential...Could be an excellent return man and slot receiver.