How To Cover Gronk

Peace Frog

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, if we commit to running with 3 safeties - if Graham can play, I think we'll do fine. Graham playing FS. AWilliams @ SS, primarily against the run. Then use Rambo as top man over Gronk with Lawson under him. Gilmore and Darby outside on islands. Then a 3 man front with a hybrid Hughes or Mario playing outside. Sliding Dareus outside to DE a few times here or there in obvious passing downs to bring in Butler.

I would also be fine with playing a little bit of zone. Insert Gilmore to cover Gronk man coverage, Butler outside against whoever their #2 outside guy is, with Darby over Amendola and Roby or a Safety over Edelman. If we put a LB over Edelman in the slot to knock him off it might help. Lawson is better in man coverage then zone but I would take him covering Edelman in zone vs. man.

That'd be something like

AWilliams - Graham

Darby - Gilmore - Butler

Lawson - Bradham - Brown

Dareus (DE) - KWilliams - MWilliams

So, if we commit to running with 3 safeties - if Graham can play, I think we'll do fine. Graham playing FS. AWilliams @ SS, primarily against the run. Then use Rambo as top man over Gronk with Lawson under him. Gilmore and Darby outside on islands. Then a 3 man front with a hybrid Hughes or Mario playing outside. Sliding Dareus outside to DE a few times here or there in obvious passing downs to bring in Butler.

I would also be fine with playing a little bit of zone. Insert Gilmore to cover Gronk man coverage, Butler outside against whoever their #2 outside guy is, with Darby over Amendola and Roby or a Safety over Edelman. If we put a LB over Edelman in the slot to knock him off it might help. Lawson is better in man coverage then zone but I would take him covering Edelman in zone vs. man.

That'd be something like

AWilliams - Graham

Darby - Gilmore - Butler

Lawson - Bradham - Brown

Not sure Darby is ready to be put on an island.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out though.

I'd love to see us find a way to remove Gronk from the game.

Not sure Darby is ready to be put on an island.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out though.

I'd love to see us find a way to remove Gronk from the game.

Ryan, IIRC has done well shutting down Gronk.

Darby can handle Amendola well enough, I believe. He's no better then what he saw last week against Hilton.

That'd be something like

AWilliams - Graham

Darby - Gilmore - Butler

Lawson - Bradham - Brown

Like the 3 safeties, and brackting Gronk hi-lo with Rambo-Lawson, but I would make an effort to keep Hughes on the field and see if our front 4 can force Brady to make protection adjustments that would pull a potential receiver out of the loop- to help his O-line.. then we could answer with a blitzng Safety. There was an article somewhere on TBD about how the Pats have shortened their passing game.. I believe this is a response to the impact a strong pass rush has on their immobile QB. Quickness is the key to their passing game. Front Gronk with length (Lawson), jam Amendola, pick up Edelman immediately as he runs away from the formation.. these techniques will help disrupt the timing and may cause Brady to hesitate a split second more than he 's comfortable with.

I doubt if you cloned Gronk he could cover himself

Anyone the same size as Gronk who can run and switch directions quickly would be playing TE.

True...but that's only relevant if you're asking a single player to handle the responsibility. If you break the task up into having the size and initial quickness to stick with him for 10-yards--a task that falls to Lawson--and then having the closing speed to cut off his route (think Rambo or Graham), then it becomes a much clearer picture.

True...but that's only relevant if you're asking a single player to handle the responsibility. If you break the task up into having the size and initial quickness to stick with him for 10-yards--a task that falls to Lawson--and then having the closing speed to cut off his route (think Rambo or Graham), then it becomes a much clearer picture.

Cut off the head and the body dies.... It's imperative to get to Brady early and often!

Cut off the head and the body dies.... It's imperative to get to Brady early and often!

Yes, get to Brady. You also need to physically impose your will on his pass-catchers. Hit them early in their routes, and do it on every single play. Hit them hard. Use guys like Bradham and Brown if you must, but hit them. Beat them up. You're bigger and stronger than they are, so use that to your advantage. Throw off their timing and get in their heads.

Like Rex says: "we're built to beat the sh*t out of people"

Yes, get to Brady. You also need to physically impose your will on his pass-catchers. Hit them early in their routes, and do it on every single play. Hit them hard. Use guys like Bradham and Brown if you must, but hit them. Beat them up. You're bigger and stronger than they are, so use that to your advantage. Throw off their timing and get in their heads.

Like Rex says: "we're built to beat the sh*t out of people"

Couldn't agree more... I don't care if they have 53 leave on carts...

We are focusing too much on stopping Brady. We need to focus on scoring points. I am tempted to write up some play calls and what to watch for on offense but I don't know if i have the steam to do one of my big write ups.

Like the 3 safeties, and brackting Gronk hi-lo with Rambo-Lawson, but I would make an effort to keep Hughes on the field and see if our front 4 can force Brady to make protection adjustments that would pull a potential receiver out of the loop- to help his O-line.. then we could answer with a blitzng Safety. There was an article somewhere on TBD about how the Pats have shortened their passing game.. I believe this is a response to the impact a strong pass rush has on their immobile QB. Quickness is the key to their passing game. Front Gronk with length (Lawson), jam Amendola, pick up Edelman immediately as he runs away from the formation.. these techniques will help disrupt the timing and may cause Brady to hesitate a split second more than he 's comfortable with.

We need to dare them to run on us and see what happens next.

This probably wouldn't work every play, but why couldn't we have Mario or Hughes pass rush from outside the TE, engage Gronk as a blocker, and bullrush him into the backfield on obvious passing downs in situations where they have a tendency to go to him a lot?

I would suspect that will be a wrinkle they'll throw into the game plan as well.

This probably wouldn't work every play, but why couldn't we have Mario or Hughes pass rush from outside the TE, engage Gronk as a blocker, and bullrush him into the backfield on obvious passing downs in situations where they have a tendency to go to him a lot?

Because he often lines up in the slot...