WSJ: Why the NFL has a Quarterback Crisis

YoloinOhio

That's not my argument! If you see what I say above, you'll see that I think that it's impossible to have a good offense with a mediocre to bad qb no matter how good the RB is.

Just a quick look at offensive rankings in the past few years:

Philadelphia ranked 5th with Foles and Sanchez

Cincinnati ranked 10th Daulton

Houston ranked 7th with Matt Shaub

Tampa Bay ranked 9th with Josh Freeman

Raiders ranked 9th with Carson Palmer and Jason Cambell (this is a year Palmer threw more pics than TDs and looked pretty bad.)

So while it's not likely you can have a good offense without a good QB I think it's fair to say it's certainly possible.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading this this article, it's clear what we need to do...

We need to find a QB who has been learning his trade as a backup behind an established starting QB, like Rodgers did behind Favre and Young behind Montana - ideally about 4 years. The perfect scenario would be behind a Super Bowl winning QB. Aw shucks, we will never find a QB with that kind of start in the NFL to be our QB. It's just a pipe dream, I guess.

FP

Exactly. Perhaps Doug and Rex knew what they were doing after all. At least worth a try at TT's cap-friendly price.

2008: 11-5, 2-1 in Playoffs

2009: 9-7, 1-1 in Playoffs

2010: 12-4, 1-1 in Playoffs

And that's what we've seen lately. New QBs either have it or they don't. If they don't get it in the first season, chances are they never will. I'm not talking about first season in the NFL; I'm talking about first season as a starter (so that includes Brady and Rodgers and Kaep, as well as guys like Ben, Wilson, Luck).

Edited by The Frankish Reich

And that's what we've seen lately. New QBs either have it or they don't. If they don't get it in the first season, chances are they never will. I'm not talking about first season in the NFL; I'm talking about first season as a starter (so that includes Brady and Rodgers and Kaep, as well as guys like Ben, Wilson, Luck).

And a lot of it has to do with the situation they step into. Luck is really the only one that stepped into a really bad roster of the guys you listed. I'm hopeful for Tyrod because he is inheriting a roster that is loaded with talent on his side of the ball and has a defense that can put him in good situations and keep us in games.

NFL needs to create a spring developmental league at the very least with maybe 8 to 12 teams, in USA in smaller markets, playing about 10 games.

Other leagues have a minor league system. Maybe creating a full minor league system, where each team has a developmental roster playing games on Saturdays in small venues around the country would be better, Teams could call players up and send them back down. Practice squads are nice but having a full roster of 45 other players playing in the minors would allow teams greater opportunities to fully develop players.

You put rules into place which would prevent other teams from stealing your developmental players but also protect a player opportunity to play in the show.

If the league doesn't starting thinking differently, they will eventually run into a true QB crisis. They have a disturbing trend now.

Or a better idea is to allow teams two extra roster spots strictly for developmental QBs. A team could carry 2 QBs that wouldn't play unless all active QBs are injured. That way you can take a couple of years to develop talent. The whole notion of expecting QBs to walk into the NFL and instantly "get it" is ludicrous.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

FOLES AND SANCHEZ PLAYED PRETTY WELL LAST YEAR. FOLES WAS AWESOME THE YEAR BEFORE.

DALTON ISN'T GREAT, BUT HE ISN'T TERRIBLE. HE'S BETTER THAN ANYONE THE BILL HAVE HAD IN THE LAST 13 YEARS.

SHAUB WAS A VERY GOOD QB FOR A 3-4 YEAR RUN. I DON'T THINK HIS ARM IS WHAT IT USED TO BE.

I'M NOT A FAN OF FREEMAN, BUT THEY HAD GREAT RECEIVERS THAT SEASON.

Raiders ranked 9th with Carson Palmer and Jason Cambell (this is a year Palmer threw more pics than TDs and looked pretty bad.)

HE DID LOOK BAD THAT SEASON, BUT HE'S AN A-GRADE QB WHO CAN MAKE ALL OF THE THROWS. HE'S HAD SOME EXCELLENT SEASONS OVER THE COURSE OF HIS CAREER.

So while it's not likely you can have a good offense without a good QB I think it's fair to say it's certainly possible.

EXCEPT FOR FREEMAN, I THINK ALL OF THESE QBs WERE AT LEAST PRETTY GOOD. I'M NOT EVEN A SANCHEZ HATER, WHO I THINK JUST NEEDED SOME TIME TO BECOME DECENT. HE'S A PRETTY GOOD ATHLETE WITH A GOOD ARM, AND HE AVERAGED 7.8 YPA LAST SEASON.

FOLES AND SANCHEZ PLAYED PRETTY WELL LAST YEAR. FOLES WAS AWESOME THE YEAR BEFORE.

DALTON ISN'T GREAT, BUT HE ISN'T TERRIBLE. HE'S BETTER THAN ANYONE THE BILL HAVE HAD IN THE LAST 13 YEARS.

SHAUB WAS A VERY GOOD QB FOR A 3-4 YEAR RUN. I DON'T THINK HIS ARM IS WHAT IT USED TO BE.

I'M NOT A FAN OF FREEMAN, BUT THEY HAD GREAT RECEIVERS THAT SEASON.

HE DID LOOK BAD THAT SEASON, BUT HE'S AN A-GRADE QB WHO CAN MAKE ALL OF THE THROWS. HE'S HAD SOME EXCELLENT SEASONS OVER THE COURSE OF HIS CAREER.

EXCEPT FOR FREEMAN, I THINK ALL OF THESE QBs WERE AT LEAST PRETTY GOOD. I'M NOT EVEN A SANCHEZ HATER, WHO I THINK JUST NEEDED SOME TIME TO BECOME DECENT. HE'S A PRETTY GOOD ATHLETE WITH A GOOD ARM, AND HE AVERAGED 7.8 YPA LAST SEASON.

I'd say all those QBs are the definition of mediocre. I didn't include Philadelphia's 2013 season in that list because Foles was so good that year. That obviously was an outlier though.

Anyway, I'm not disagreeing with your basic premise, just that it's not impossible Obviously, I'd rather count on good QB play year in year out than hope to catch lightening. The last few years have shown that a team or two will break the mould every year. Let's hope one of two things happens: The Bills get actual, quality QB play this year or they are one of the teams who put up good/decent numbers despite the QB.

I'd say all those QBs are the definition of mediocre. I didn't include Philadelphia's 2013 season in that list because Foles was so good that year. That obviously was an outlier though.

Anyway, I'm not disagreeing with your basic premise, just that it's not impossible Obviously, I'd rather count on good QB play year in year out than hope to catch lightening. The last few years have shown that a team or two will break the mould every year. Let's hope one of two things happens: The Bills get actual, quality QB play this year or they are one of the teams who put up good/decent numbers despite the QB.

I'm optimistic about Taylor. He has some assets that compensate for the flaws. The big issue is whether he can effectively run a complex offense. If he can, he should be OK.

I made a statement during this last off-season that the BILLS should scout ONLY Pro Style QBs in college, regardless of school or location (in the U.S.). I would think, development would lend itself to better overall maturation and improved capability if they eliminated the spread offenses and gadget QBs - focus just on Pro Style QBs and spend as much time as possible with that narrow focus to get your guy. Just IMHO, but I think it would allow for greater scrutiny and a better player for the future.