Why just release Bledsoe?

JStranger76

or 3rd rounder? I think he still has some value, and may be pissed off. We gave up a 1st for him so I'd like at least something back. Please don't make an ass out of yourself by replying trade him for a 6 pack or something stupid. With another pick we can build more depth like with a Olineman, corner, or a TE. I'd hate for him to just be released.

or 3rd rounder? I think he still has some value, and may be pissed off. We gave up a 1st for him so I'd like at least something back. Please don't make an ass out of yourself by replying trade him for a 6 pack or something stupid. With another pick we can build more depth like with a Olineman, corner, or a TE. I'd hate for him to just be released.

237433[/snapback]

Would you give a second or third round pick for him???? I rest my case!!!!

The Bills have probably already shopped Bledsoe around the league to see what kind of offers they might recieve once the trading period starts. If they haven't recieved any interest, they may have concluded that they're better off getting Bledsoe off the roster as soon as possible.

If a team trades for him, not only will they be giving up a pick, but they assume the last two years of his contract.  If they wait for him to be cut, they give up no draft pick, his current contract is void and they sign him to whatever dollar amount they see fit.

237436[/snapback]

If they wait for him to be cut he can go where he wants. By trading for him they are sure to get him, and I think they could live with the contract as they won't have to pay a bonus.

The Bills have probably already shopped Bledsoe around the league to see what kind of offers they might recieve once the trading period starts.  If they haven't recieved any interest,  they may have concluded that they're better off getting Bledsoe off the roster as soon as possible.

237446[/snapback]

Exactly right. Surely they've already tried. These guys do this for a living...

Why just release Bledsoe?  Shouldn't we try for at least a 2nd or 3rd rounder?

This is actually a really good point. I'm a Pats fan, and when I keep hearing people talk about releasing Earthwind Moreland this offseason, I tell them they're crazy. We should definitely try to trade him and get back a mid-to-late 1st rounder.

This is actually a really good point.  I'm a Pats fan, and when I keep hearing people talk about releasing Earthwind Moreland this offseason, I tell them they're crazy.  We should definitely try to trade him and get back a mid-to-late 1st rounder.

237474[/snapback]

took me a few seconds to get the humor...

I much prefer we try to trade him to a team that needs a proven Quarterback - like Philadelphia.

Maybe we could get that Terrell Owens guy in return. He's damaged goods.

That makes a LOT more sense - doesn't it?

Afterall - who needs another Draft Pick? :P

Releasing bledsoe will come back to haunt the bills. Just a feeling I have.

Usually my gut feelings are right.

237488[/snapback]

I've had a gut feeling since Bledsoe came into the league that the perpetual blank expression on his face was a mirror to his soul. My gut is usually right, also.

If I was a team (dallas) who wanted drew, I would offer up a 5th or 6th round pick for him. Here is why:

By trading for him, he comes free and clear of any bonuses. Lets face it, drew is not the quarterback he once was, and he is questionable to ever regain that form. With no bonus, his new team can cut him at any time and it will have ZERO cap ramifications. If he signs as a FA after being cut by the bills, there will inevitably be a signing bonus, and a large cap hit if he is released before the end of his contract.

So bottom line, the draft pick given up in a trade for drew would be an insurance policy against drew sucking it up and having to be cut. a 6th round pick is a small price to pay for several million in potential dead cap space.

It should be noted that it makes no difference on the bills cap whether he is traded or released.

Look, the whole Bledsoe experiment was a total waste. The Bills are kind of stuck. Who in their right mind would trade for him when they know the Bills have to release him by March 3rd or pay him a roster bonus AND the team that traded for him would have to pick up his remaining contract? A team can get him free and clear and pay him way less than his remaining contract knowing full well the Bills have to cut him. The Bills save cap space by cutting him and that is good enough for me.

I've had a gut feeling since Bledsoe came into the league that the perpetual blank expression on his face was a mirror to his soul.  My gut is usually right, also.

237497[/snapback]

Drew Bledsoe is the reason for the leadership being reinstalled on the buffalo bills team.

Leadership has been lost on the team since Jim Kelly retired.

Drew Bledsoe is not a selfish QB. Just a Team Leader.

Drew Bledsoe is the reason for the leadership being reinstalled on the buffalo bills team.

Leadership has been lost on the team since Jim Kelly retired.

Drew Bledsoe is not a selfish QB. Just a Team Leader.

237502[/snapback]

No argument there - Drew is the team leader......in sacks and int's!!!