Dareus Signs Six Year Extension with Bills

26CornerBlitz

According to Spotrac.....rounding numbers to nearest $0.5M....

We have $7.5M left for rollover.

We are $4.5M over a projected $150M cap for next year(I expect it will be $3-8M higher).

Harvin is stated as a 1 year deal, though they list his full cap hit....will be $8M savings if he is let go.

Clay's restructure will save $7.5M.

That means...on the assumed $150M 2016 cap we will have $18.5M in cap space(plus the extra guessed $3-8M of cap increase).

That should be easily enough to re-sign Glenn and Bradham(Gilmore will already be earning $11M+ in 2016). I would be astounded if we cut Kyle Williams as we have just given him a pay rise....unless his play drops dramatically. It seems to me that the plan is to keep our 4 star DLmen as a unit through 2017.

Right...I was fully ignoring a restructure for Clay and a new contract for Mario (bonus cap space as far as I'm concerned).

I also was taking for granted that Gilmore's contract won't change his cap hit (he's probably in the $10M/year range any way you slice it).

I'm planning that Glenn will get $10M/year (he better given that Costanzo and Solder both got that much), and I expect Bradham will be $5M/year. I don't know what the cap hits will be like for those deals, but I think space will be at a premium.

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right...I was fully ignoring a restructure for Clay and a new contract for Mario (bonus cap space as far as I'm concerned).

I also was taking for granted that Gilmore's contract won't change his cap hit (he's probably in the $10M/year range any way you slice it).

I'm planning that Glenn will get $10M/year (he better given that Costanzo and Solder both got that much), and I expect Bradham will be $5M/year. I don't know what the cap hits will be like for those deals, but I think space will be at a premium.

Yeah, 1st year cap hits can be kept low if one wants to do it that way.

Regarding your Mario extension/restructure point....and relating it to your comment upthread about Kyle Williams age...

Kyle is only 1.5 years older than Mario. Kyle becomes a FA in 2018...Mario in 2019....6 months differnce in age when hitting FA. It seems odd that you would think to cut Kyle before that time....yet extend Mario past that time.

Regarding your Mario extension/restructure point....and relating it to your comment upthread about Kyle Williams age...

Kyle is only 1.5 years older than Mario. Kyle becomes a FA in 2018...Mario in 2019....6 months differnce in age when hitting FA. It seems odd that you would think to cut Kyle before that time....yet extend Mario past that time.

I'm not sure either will be good in 2018 but they are not comparable as athletes so being 1-2 years older and a lesser talent is significant.

I'm not sure either will be good in 2018 but they are not comparable as athletes so being 1-2 years older and a lesser talent is significant.

Yeah, I personally would be wary about extending Mario unless we really need the cap relief. One just doesn't know however when players will hit the wall. Kyle might be making probowls at the age of 35 while Mario might lose a step at 31....or vice versa.

Age-wise, that's a salient point.

I do think that Mario (a) has less wear and tear on him, and (b) is physically more likely to hold up over time. I also think he's the tougher player to replace. Lastly, a new contract for Mario may pay out more cash up front, but it also pushes his cap hit down the road further and more effectively than a restructuring would IMO.

Age-wise, that's a salient point.

I do think that Mario (a) has less wear and tear on him, and (b) is physically more likely to hold up over time. I also think he's the tougher player to replace. Lastly, a new contract for Mario may pay out more cash up front, but it also pushes his cap hit down the road further and more effectively than a restructuring would IMO.

Hehe...he's undoubtedly the tougher player to replace.

I'm hopeful that both men will play at probowl levels till at least 2017(along with Dareus and Hughes)....that would truly be fantastic.

Edited by Dibs

Yeah, I personally would be wary about extending Mario unless we really need the cap relief. One just doesn't know however when players will hit the wall. Kyle might be making probowls at the age of 35 while Mario might lose a step at 31....or vice versa.

I agree, I don't know about beyond 2018. I'd like to see Mario get more technically proficient as an edge rusher. Those guys can last a long time. His game is bull rushing and manhandling OT's and that has a shorter shelf life, IMO.

I agree, I don't know about beyond 2018. I'd like to see Mario get more technically proficient as an edge rusher. Those guys can last a long time. His game is bull rushing and manhandling OT's and that has a shorter shelf life, IMO.

I don't look at it so much as locking him down for a longer period of time, but rather alleviating $9M or so of his cap hit for the 2016-2018 seasons. He's most likely gone by 2019 regardless.

Kyle is still playing at a seriously high level. they will restructure him if they need to. they will free up space restructuring Mario too. plus Harvin is gone and Incognito is probably gone as well as Cassel. i don't think they can afford to re-sign Glenn after paying Gilmore and Bradham so there will be space from that too

It might be ideal to keep Incognito but we may not be able to afford him. It would be funny if after his "pay the man" comment regarding Dareus if we had to let him go because we "paid the man" the money we'd have used to re-sign him.

Probably nothing....but he seems like he's medicated or drunk or something. Maybe the moment is overwhelming him-- but compare this to his demeanor in the bills cribs episode. Maybe it's just me. Regardless good for him and I'm excited to see him Sunday.

When he's looking down at Chris Brown his eyes are like half closed and he seems like he's stumbling for words. He's really fidgety too.....so maybe he's just nervous/overwhelmed. That's probably it. Either way-- I blame EJ.

Edited by Billschinatown

Probably nothing....but he seems like he's medicated or drunk or something. Maybe the moment is overwhelming him-- but compare this to his demeanor in the bills cribs episode. Maybe it's just me. Regardless good for him and I'm excited to see him Sunday.

When he's looking down at Chris Brown his eyes are like half closed and he seems like he's stumbling for words. He's really fidgety too.....so maybe he's just nervous/overwhelmed. That's probably it. Either way-- I blame EJ.

Holy crap, he is high as a kite here. Seriously, watch this and tell me he's not under the influence: http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Watch_Marcell_Dareus_Signs_Contract_Extension/877f1a83-50ce-4dff-bda3-ae666bb74d1b

Holy crap, he is high as a kite here. Seriously, watch this and tell me he's not under the influence: http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Watch_Marcell_Dareus_Signs_Contract_Extension/877f1a83-50ce-4dff-bda3-ae666bb74d1b

Bills fans. :doh: The guy is just coming off suspension for an illegal substance and he's high? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot! The openly expressed ridiculous conjecture never stops it seems. :blink: