Buffalo in the summer

Ice bowl 67

You guys ever get any Summers there where you don't use the pool, AC or the beaches because it is cool out all Summer? How bout years where you never hit 90 degrees?

I grew up there,it does get hotter and more humid there ,than I was a kid in the 60s and 70s. It was brutal a couple years ago visiting Fort Niagara and other places around the area. 90s and humid.

There's a reason why the Natives spent winters away from Lake Erie and inland while spending the summers close to shores. BFLO is a microclimate.

I suspect Door County has been "cool" like it has been here @ the southern end of Lake Michigan? We've had 90's but, nothing to write home about. I still set my a/c to 73 if it is 80 or above.

All Lake temps are much warmer than the last two summers... Even with the brutal freezes the last couple of years. With a big El Nino, we may get a warmer winter in the Great Lakes region.

I want it hot. Especially when you have a hard winter.

The two don't usually mesh in BFLO. Harder Lake freezes usually lead to supressed summetime Lake temps. Usually...

One thing that is noticed is the middle lakes, Michigan-Huron are the highest they have been in 20 years. I thought Lake Michigan would never come back. We are @ high water by about a 1.5 feet in the plus range. That's a tenuous high water I suspect though. We need the hard freezes and winters to keep summertime water temps down. With that dynamic in play, there is less evaporation during high-summer.

Again... It has been cooler here, I suspect the same in WNY

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

If we get a screaming hot summer, you can pretty much count on a mother-of-all-lake-effects sometime in late October or early November. Just too much thermal energy in the lake, and that cold clipper comes roaring across from western Canada, like clockwork.

Boom. A foot of snow, and every stupid network is filming autumn snow coverage downwind of the lower Great Lakes. Also like clockwork. Idiots.

If we get a screaming hot summer, you can pretty much count on a mother-of-all-lake-effects sometime in late October or early November. Just too much thermal energy in the lake, and that cold clipper comes roaring across from western Canada, like clockwork.

Boom. A foot of snow, and every stupid network is filming autumn snow coverage downwind of the lower Great Lakes. Also like clockwork. Idiots.

Not just the lower Great Lakes... All alee areas of The Lakes get the snow. BFLO is just unique in that the fetch of Lake Erie is orientated southwest to northeast, right where the prevailing weather systems come through...

Here in this part of Illinois, windward of The Lake... We get Lake Effect, but the pattern has to come from the northeast. Not too many times does this happen. Of course weather moves (most of the time in northern hemi) west to east.

Green Bay is also windward as opposed to BFLO's alee (protected) positioning.

You guys ever get any Summers there where you don't use the pool, AC or the beaches because it is cool out all Summer? How bout years where you never hit 90 degrees?

I remember a couple of summers where it rained so often we couldn't finish our softball season.