Edit: now confirmed rumor that Bills will release Cassel

eball

• Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I like most of your work, but when it came to the QB situation specifically, it didn't appear that the reporters had any better information than the fans.

Not sure if that's the case. There was a split between Cassel and Tyrod heading into last weekend. Some wanted one, others wanted the other. It came down to Rex breaking the deadlock by going with Tyrod. Once Tyrod was named the starter, then it became evident that Cassel's contract was too expensive for a backup job -- though some who supported Tyrod pushed in part for Tyrod by knowing it would lead to Cassel's departure..

So, by Wednesday, there were discussions but no decision made on what to do with Cassel. And the decision was not dependent on how Simms did in the preseason game. And then it reached the point where Cassel was cut today.

Check my timeline. These are all things that I've tweeted.

I have also tweeted that I have concerns about Tyrod maintaining his consistency once the season begins. I say that, because he's never had an NFL start. And I was tweeting this in the face of everyone going ga-ga over Tyrod during the Cleveland preseason game. I like Tyrod. I think he earned the job and has a chance to be a dynamic player.

That doesn't mean I'm fully and completely sold on the guy as being good.

I believe I've tweeted comments to that effect as well.

To suggest I've been all over the place on this, is a little much.

jw

Edited by john wawrow

Not sure if that's the case. There was a split between Cassel and Tyrod heading into last weekend. Some wanted one, others wanted the other. It came down to Rex breaking the deadlock by going with Tyrod. Once Tyrod was named the starter, then it became evident that Cassel's contract was too expensive for a backup job -- though some who supported Tyrod pushed in part for Tyrod by knowing it would lead to Cassel's departure..

So, by Wednesday, there were discussions but no decision made on what to do with Cassel. And the decision was not dependent on how Simms did in the preseason game. And then it reached the point where Cassel was cut today.

Check my timeline. These are all things that I've tweeted.

I have also tweeted that I have concerns about Tyrod maintaining his consistency once the season begins. I say that, because he's never had an NFL start. And I was tweeting this in the face of everyone going ga-ga over Tyrod during the Cleveland preseason game. I like Tyrod. I think he earned the job and has a chance to be a dynamic player.

That doesn't mean I'm fully and completely sold on the guy as being good.

I was asked if I wanted a helping of crow for putting forward my view that I thought we should keep Cassel, even if he's #3. Mmmm, not in this case, it's just my opinion, the Bills obviously differ. But I too have the concern that Tyrod who looked great against a vanilla PS defense may stumble after teams get some film on him - wouldn't be the 1st or 2nd time that's happened to a Bills QB who looked good through 5 games.

Can you comment on what would be the motivation of guys to push for Tyrod because they want to move Cassel down the road? I hope that's because they're "all in" with Tyrod and EJ and not because they're trying to save $$

I was asked if I wanted a helping of crow for putting forward my view that I thought we should keep Cassel, even if he's #3. Mmmm, not in this case, it's just my opinion, the Bills obviously differ. But I too have the concern that Tyrod who looked great against a vanilla PS defense may stumble after teams get some film on him - wouldn't be the 1st or 2nd time that's happened to a Bills QB who looked good through 5 games.

Can you comment on what would be the motivation of guys to push for Tyrod because they want to move Cassel down the road? I hope that's because they're "all in" with Tyrod and EJ and not because they're trying to save $$

not saying it was an "all money" decision, but it became a factor once it became apparent that Tyrod had something and EJ was showing signs of improving. ... that said, there were some in organization who were very much down on EJ in the early days of camp.

jw

I saw reports saying EJ played well too. I also saw reports that Darby was looking really good. So what? Reports from camp by sports writers means nothing. As a fan I only go by what I see on the field which is all that counts anyway. I saw EJ out perform everyone else on stats that are often trotted out on TBD to prove who is the best QB. Things like points, TD passes, YPA, QB rating, and yards. Look it up Thurman.

Tyrod's main strength on TBD is that he didn't play QB for the Bills the last 2 years under Coach Moron and Hackett Jr.

Tyrod played well and I hope for the best. If EJ makes the team he'll get in at some point and we'll see what happens.

If Tyrod is #1, then EJ is 1A.

Go Tyrod !!

Go BILLS !!

No....EJ Manuel is not "1A"

Thinking like that is going to continue a qb contiversy when it needs to be over at least for this year......

Tyrod is the starter

EJ Manuel is the backup

not saying it was an "all money" decision, but it became a factor once it became apparent that Tyrod had something and EJ was showing signs of improving. ... that said, there were some in organization who were very much down on EJ in the early days of camp.

jw

Thanks for your input, John. Did EJ convert them, or are they still down?

jw

John,

I appreciate the time you spend on this site explaining your position......the scenario you put out right there I think is spot on

jw

I think EJ surprised a lot of people with his transformation over the course of camp. I personally didn't give him much of a chance, although I was not at all one of the "we have seen enough" crowd. But I'm sure his play against the Panthers impressed people, his last drive with all the chips on the table against the Browns impressed them more, and then he blew people away in the Steeler game with a variety of different good plays not just 1-2 tough passes.

With better showings in practices, too, it's easy to see that he was behind Cassel in a lot of minds, caught up to him, and then passed him (if we consider all factors including money and ceiling and pure ability). Some of it was luck, some of it was just knowing the offense, some of it was maturity, some of it was way better coaching, but it all added up to changing some minds.

What we don't know, of course, is whether it would continue when real bullets fly. He surely wouldn't be able to match his preseason. But confidence based on success can take you a long way.

He surely hasn't arrived until he does it for real though.

jw

first off - thanks for taking the time to indulge our comments.. but regarding the amount of negative reports concerning Manuel's execution of the offense - throughout the competition - led many of us 'fans from afar' to conclude that this was a two horse race, only. certainly, EJ's improvement didn't come over night, yet here we were.. watching the kid make plays on television, when by many reports, he was embarrassing himself in camp. that's the disconnect i had with this, and why i would have liked one beat guy to take a few minutes of Roman's or Rex's time, and question them on where Manuel was in terms of where they wanted him to be, and what level of confidence they had in his closing the gap - my assumption being, that there was a gap - due to what was being reported.

edit.. my point is that the only people interested in any of this - the fans - weren't given a clear picture of what was taking place with our team.

i don't expect the Bills' beat guys to understand everything they're seeing, but i would think they could compensate by asking the opinions of those who do.

Edited by BackInDaDay