EJ Will Start Pittsburgh Game

Just got word this morning- coaches' minds already made up, starting Manuel is a charade mostly to mess with Indianapolis and/or to see if he has any trade value. He has no chance of starting on opening day. Take it to the bank. According to a pretty credible source, I'm pretty sure I know who is starting. Carry on.

I certainly hope this info is wrong for many reasons, and I'm even hoping for perhaps the opposite.

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of us are not truly qualified to state with authority that this or that QB is "the one" and this or that QB is "the bum." We watch with the eyes of pretty knowlegeable fans but without the level of experience and insight that a real analyst of QBs has. I am in this group of the not-really-qualified myself which is why I am still ambivalent about which of the Bills QBs should be the starter. However, a few people who comment around here have shown a much better understanding of the nuances of the position and so it is to them that I ask this question:

In a straight-up comparison between the two, what are the differences that make Cassel supposedly a better choice than EJ, either as starter or first backup? To my eyes it appears that EJ is better or no worse than Cassel in every measurable category except NFL starting time. I am not saying that either one is great. In fact, they are both kind of "eh" at this time. What I am asking is what are the differences that would lead the coaches to choose Cassel over EJ if they're both relatively equal (not sure that they are, just assuming for the purpose of this question). It would seem to me if that's the case that you'd keep the younger with potentially a higher ceiling over the older guy whose plateau is well established.

Cassel's done the mediocre thing longer. Let's roll with his brand of mediocrity.

If he's a true competitor, which I believe he is, he doesn't want to be third string. So he is playing for his life. If he isn't, I don't want him

Rex already has a rep for being a joke of a QB guy, if EJ plays well and Rex don't start him, national media will have a field day with him.

I don't know if I agree with the "Rex doesn't know anything about QB's" narrative. HE'S NEVER HAD A GOOD QB TO WORK WITH! So everyone who's coached Brady, Manning, Rodgers and Brees in the last decade is a QB master now? I just don't buy it. I like this website but too many of you put way too much emphasis on every last circumstance surrounding the QB and not enough on the QB himself.

Cassel's done the mediocre thing longer. Let's roll with his brand of mediocrity.

Your posts have become stale and predictable. We get it, you hate Cassel.

He sucks. What's his madden THP ? 55 ? His intermediate/deep game has been stale for a while. I'm good on the ragarm qb's, unless Chad Pennington wants to play.

Youre a funny one to call out someone else's posts. Talk about predictable. Lighten up sally. I'm just here for the laughs. Plenty come from you.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

I don't know if I agree with the "Rex doesn't know anything about QB's" narrative. HE'S NEVER HAD A GOOD QB TO WORK WITH! So everyone who's coached Brady, Manning, Rodgers and Brees in the last decade is a QB master now? I just don't buy it. I like this website but too many of you put way too much emphasis on every last circumstance surrounding the QB and not enough on the QB himself.

Rex will never ever live down the mistake he made with Sanchez, he knows it and only has so many oppurtunities o get it right. This QB competition is crucial to him, to get it right.

Especially with the quality of team Whaley has handed him.

Which is why the first damn thing I said when you posted the leak this morning, was Rex better not eff this up.

Edited by mastershake

Here is a quote from Rex early this year that seems to contradict the trail bait suggestions:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25136686/rex-ryan-lets-not-dump-ej-manuel-after-two-years-look-at-aaron-rodgers

I am not saying it happening it is just completely different than what they have been saying. That seems to be where the press has gotten it wrong ... not listening to what they are saying and assuming they know what is going on.

Thanks for posting that!

Quite contradictory from what some have been saying.

I also understand why Ryan stuck with Geno with the Jets, and with that thinking it makes much more sense to start either Taylor or EJ.

Well I will stake my credibility to this: even if EJ looks unbelievable and the other two QB's play poorly on Saturday, EJ aint starting week 1.

This keeps bugging me.

When was the last NFL franchise that, in the midst of a QB competition, chose to go with the QB that did not perform the best in the preseason games?

This keeps bugging me.

When was the last NFL franchise that, in the midst of a QB competition, chose to go with the QB that did not perform the best in the preseason games?

i don't think we need to worry about this unless it all actually happens that he plays significantly better than the other two.

This keeps bugging me.

Interesting question. Although I suppose both Cassel and Taylor would have to crap the bed tomorrow for this to be relevant. They have both looked very good in their limited time.

i don't think we need to worry about this unless it all actually happens that he plays significantly better than the other two.

If posters are saying they have sources that feel this way, I think this says a lot about the people in charge.

That's exactly the problem with having 3 guys performing adequately and not having one guy obviously take the job.

Whomever is the starter will be under intense scrutiny and the first mistake will draw a chorus of "They should've gone with..."

Everyone always loves the backup.

Yes.....

The thing I think is somewhat strange is that it appears many people here are assuming that these quarterbacks were all being looked at as equals by the coaching staff before this supposed "quarterback competition" started. And I don't think that is the case at all. Even if the coaches said that, there is no way it would be true.

I am quite certain (due to human nature) that every single coach had a "favorite" and a "second favorite" and so on even back at the point where each new quarterback was introduced to this team for this season. The coaches already had preferences.

And you can bet that the whole point of this "quarterback competition" was to see if their opinions of their pecking order might change after working with each QB in camp.

And you can bet that their minds (probably all of their minds) were made up within a week or slightly longer of training camp. They could see who knows the position better than the next guy. They could see who possessed what talent and how that talent compared to the next guy. And they made up their minds.

That doesn't mean that their minds can't change based on circumstances. But I highly doubt that the quarterbacks are really "that close" in the coaches' minds as so many people here seem to want to think. It just isn't realistic to think that. And one preseason game played tomorrow is very, very unlikely to change anything at all in terms of the QB position, except maybe make them think slightly better about a guy or slightly worse about a guy. Barring an injury, It isn't going to be a difference maker. It is too close to the opener for it to be.

And one preseason game played tomorrow is very, very unlikely to change anything at all in terms of the QB position, except maybe make them think slightly better about a guy or slightly worse about a guy.

You see, you're like the 4th guy who said this today. If EJ kills it tomorrow, it's not just one preseason game. He will have shown NFL QB ability in three straight preseason games and a scrimmage. That would include clutch performances when the game and his career was on the line, AND the ability to step up and seize the opportunity. That should be acknowledged instead of marginalized.

Edited by musichunch

You see, you're like the 4th guy who said this today. If EJ kills it tomorrow, it's not just one preseason game. He will have shown NFL QB ability in three straight preseason games and a scrimmage. That would include clutch performances when the game and his career was on the line, AND the ability to step up and seize the opportunity. That should be acknowledged instead of marginalized.

The other guys have played well in preseason too. In fact, there is a big buzz around the league right now surrounding Taylor. No one is saying EJ sucks. I want him to make the team and wouldn't be shocked if he got to start a game this season. But if and when he is not named the starter, regardless of Saturday's outcome, you have to try and trust the front office on this one. There is no conspiracy against EJ Manuel, I can promise you.

You see, you're like the 4th guy who said this today. If EJ kills it tomorrow, it's not just one preseason game. He will have shown NFL QB ability in three straight preseason games and a scrimmage. That should be acknowledged instead of marginalized.

That is if you think that games like the last one he played prove him to be worthy of an NFL starter. I don't. He had four possessions with the offense. His first three possessions amounted to about 1 first down and 3 sacks. His fourth possession was impressive. But who wants a QB who is impressive on 25% of the offense's possessions. I don't. If you do, good for you. I don't think that is good enough.

I know EJ played with 3rd stringers who didn't block well. I know that he also played against the other team's 3rd stringers. A decent starting quarterback in the NFL should have been able to move the ball 30-40 yards in at least 2 out of those first 3 possessions. There was a quarterback on the team who accomplished that. It wasn't EJ.

That is if you think that games like the last one he played prove him to be worthy of an NFL starter. I don't. He had four possessions with the offense. His first three possessions amounted to about 1 first down and 3 sacks. His fourth possession was impressive. But who wants a QB who is impressive on 25% of the offense's possessions. I don't. If you do, good for you. I don't think that is good enough.

I know EJ played with 3rd stringers who didn't block well. I know that he also played against the other team's 3rd stringers. A decent starting quarterback in the NFL should have been able to move the ball 30-40 yards in at least 2 out of those first 3 possessions. There was a quarterback on the team who accomplished that. It wasn't EJ.

You give your reasons in paragraph 1, and then in paragraph 2 you point out why your reasons aren't solid.

So your argument is that he should have had one more good drive with 3rd stringers in order to be a "decent starting quarterback". Yet one sentence earlier explained why it was extremely difficult to have a good drive. I just find your qualifications to be odd.

The other guys have played well in preseason too. In fact, there is a big buzz around the league right now surrounding Taylor. No one is saying EJ sucks. I want him to make the team and wouldn't be shocked if he got to start a game this season. But if and when he is not named the starter, regardless of Saturday's outcome, you have to try and trust the front office on this one. There is no conspiracy against EJ Manuel, I can promise you.

That's my concern. The coaching staff, and Rex Ryan in particular, is playing favorites with Tyrod Taylor going back to before training camp started. Your comments stating pretty much that there is nothing on earth EJ can do to win the starting job really concerns me and makes me cautious about "trusting the front office on this one".