NLRB says college football players cannot unionize

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ncaa is such a sham. generate a billion on revenue on a national championship game but the schools/students who risk themselves receive pennies on the dollar. I'm not saying i have the answer but the current model is bad and they have tried to paint the student athletes as the greedy ones and people are buying into that.

This is great news.

Now, go back to class, kids.

Why do you say that?

I was hoping they win.

I think the NCAA right up there with the FIFA and the IOC in terms of corruption and only being concerned with one thing....lining their own pockets.

I thought there were some interesting issues on the table...health care for life if due to injury suffered while playing, 5 year scholarships , being able to be paid for your own likeness etc.

On the flip side, I think scholarships would have become taxable and more " unintended" consequences would have developed.

Interested why you think this is a win

They are being prepared for their futures like everyone else in college. The schools generate money in a lot of different ways.

The bigger issue might be the enormous amount of money spent on coaches.

prepared to be ****ed up their arse by corporations generating billions who want to pretend they are not corporations?

prepared to be ****ed up their arse by corporations generating billions who want to pretend they are not corporations?

They are being prepared to make careers out of football...the ones that are able to make it happen do not get ****** in the ***.

The ones that don't make it into the NFL usually/hopefully have a back up plan which is why they are in college in the first place.

So, the billions made off of the big sports bowls people talk about - everyone forgets that it goes to the funding of minor sports like water polo, wrestling, and other sports?

The NCAA is not perfect but it is the real world. Shouldn't you take the company you work for to court because they make millions while you only make a little bit for it and all you get is a 5 year anniversary plaque?

Of course they are.

Maybe I should have been more clear. They are playing football in college in order to prepare for football in the NFL. NCAA is setting the stage for these guys to make careers out of playing football. Not all of them of course but the ones who are good enough.

Students who prepare for regular jobs in college are allowed to get paid when they have summer jobs or internships in the fields they pursue. NCAA athletes can't get paid for playing their sport. A bit contradictory.

They are being prepared to make careers out of football...the ones that are able to make it happen do not get ****** in the ***.

The ones that don't make it into the NFL usually/hopefully have a back up plan which is why they are in college in the first place.

What are the odds that CFB players will make it in the professional ranks? Pretty darn small. Are the schools really preparing the majority of athletes for careers beyond their eligibility to play and generate revenue? Another resounding no!

So, the billions made off of the big sports bowls people talk about - everyone forgets that it goes to the funding of minor sports like water polo, wrestling, and other sports?

The NCAA is not perfect but it is the real world. Shouldn't you take the company you work for to court because they make millions while you only make a little bit for it and all you get is a 5 year anniversary plaque?

:lol: This is a terrible analogy.

Was ridiculous to begin with.

The players have a free ride to school for the most part. Get the education, gtfo.

You mean the ones who are in too many cases steered into sham curriculums (complete with a sham degrees) that are designed to keep them eligible while providing no marketable skills and no career path beyond college? Don't be naive.

Students who prepare for regular jobs in college are allowed to get paid when they have summer jobs or internships in the fields they pursue. NCAA athletes can't get paid for playing their sport. A bit contradictory.

Worse. A musician can sell records and win Grammy's while at Columbia without having to forgo her college education or participation in the music programs. An athlete cannot make money off his or her talent because that would take money away from the NCAA.

That's called a racket, folks.