Patriots' O missing big plays with Jimmy Garoppolo

Jimmy wasn't that bad. INT was poor placement, the deep balls need a lot of work but he did a lot of the simple stuff pretty efficiently.

Josh Boyce seemed to be the biggest problem they had. 2 catches on 11 targets and he dropped more than his fair share of them.

Edited by Blokestradamus

Jimmy wasn't that bad. INT was poor placement, the deep balls need a lot of work but he did a lot of the simple stuff pretty efficiently.

Josh Boyce seemed to be the biggest problem they had. 2 catches on 11 targets and he dropped more than his fair share of them.

Two other passes from JG to Boyce that were about 3-4 yards short should have been INTs. One was an easy one.

I watched a good bit, thought he looked pretty brutal

Are we sure this isn't just wishful thinking?

He averaged 5 yards a completion. He had an INT and should have had a couple more on very bad throws way short of his receiver. He was sacked seven times. The one TD drive he had was one nice 10 yard pass and a 55 yard run by an RB. I saw him make a few nice reads and 10-12 yard passes and that is it. He did not look good in any way.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

He averaged 5 yards a completion. He had an INT and should have had a couple more on very bad throws way short of his receiver. He was sacked seven times. The one TD drive he had was one nice 10 yard pass and a 55 yard run by an RB. I saw him make a few nice reads and 10-12 yard passes and that is it. He did not look good in any way.

He was getting off a lot of quick short passes because he had 5 turnstiles in front of him. I've already said that the deep passes were poor but the NFL is a short/intermediate game.

He was efficient in the areas he needed to be. For a 2nd year backup with little experience, he did a decent job.

He was getting off a lot of quick short passes because he had 5 turnstiles in front of him. I've already said that the deep passes were poor but the NFL is a short/intermediate game.

He was efficient in the areas he needed to be. For a 2nd year backup with little experience, he did a decent job.

Outside of stats, points, drives, wins, almost unanimous consensus amongst observers and the eye test, I agree. ;)

He had a lot of bad intermediate throws too.

I agree with this. Put nice spin on the ball, but looked fidgity. Boyce is fast, can't catch.

w

Agreed, except his last game vs the Bills, he was money. Cost me lots and lots of money. Il let ever forget that game. Along with the worst intentional grounding call ever

I think his game steps up a notch this year. He's got all the tools, just needs reps and experience.

I will say this, he will most likely be the best AFC East QB to start a week 1 game.

JG is not nearly ready to handle a gameplan that opens up the offence and that is not specifically tailored to his capabilities such as they are right now, but make no mistake this kid is talented. Sure it was a bad outing and yes I counted at least two other throws that likely would have been picks in a real game but I saw lots to like. He is capable of making the throws, has a nice deep ball and generally has pretty good accuracy, timing and anticipation and it will only all get better IMO. In game planning against him I would not take anything for granted. He has the ability to burn you big time with intermediate and deep throws if you cheat. His O line didn't exactly help him out much last night. What was it seven sacks?

He should be no match for Rex and the Bills D at this time but I'd sure feel good if he was in a Bills uni.

JG is not nearly ready to handle a gameplan that opens up the offence and that is not specifically tailored to his capabilities such as they are right now, but make no mistake this kid is talented. Sure it was a bad outing and yes I counted at least two other throws that likely would have been picks in a real game but I saw lots to like. He is capable of making the throws, has a nice deep ball and generally has pretty good accuracy, timing and anticipation and it will only all get better IMO. In game planning against him I would not take anything for granted. He has the ability to burn you big time with intermediate and deep throws if you cheat. His O line didn't exactly help him out much last night. What was it seven sacks?

He should be no match for Rex and the Bills D at this time but I'd sure feel good if he was in a Bills uni.

I think he was terrible but I do think he has a lot of potential. He has pretty good mechanics. He has a strong enough arm. He can run. It's just so hard to be a good NFL starting QB. I'd like him as our back-up, or #3 for sure.

I think he was terrible but I do think he has a lot of potential. He has pretty good mechanics. He has a strong enough arm. He can run. It's just so hard to be a good NFL starting QB. I'd like him as our back-up, or #3 for sure.

I thought I saw two bombs that were incomplete because the WRs were not up to snuff but we're well thrown and that somebody like Watkins or VJax would have put away in their back pockets. Sure there was a lot of short stuff but that's what Belly did when Brady took over from Bledsoe too. Honestly I think they are grooming him properly and there is a real chance he will turn into a good one.

No way he should be beating us now tho, but again I wouldn't take anything for granted in game planning for him. I think he's got one or two big plays in that arm.

I thought I saw two bombs that were incomplete because the WRs were not up to snuff but we're well thrown and that somebody like Watkins or VJax would have put away in their back pockets. Sure there was a lot of short stuff but that's what Belly did when Brady took over from Bledsoe too. Honestly I think they are grooming him properly and there is a real chance he will turn into a good one.

No way he should be beating us now tho, but again I wouldn't take anything for granted in game planning for him. I think he's got one or two big plays in that arm.

He is in a great situation, that is for sure. He will get great coaching and not have to play right away except for the suspension or in case of injury. But I can't wait to see him against a Rex defense in week two with the players and pass rushers we have. He's not going to know what the heck is going on or what hit him. That's going to be fun.

He has a chance, no question. He has the physical ability. It's just so hard for a second round pick to be a quality starter in this league. So very few are ever good enough, and even guys that are seemingly good enough, like Dalton, I really don't want on my team because I don't think you can win with him.*

*If you have a team like the 2015 Bills you could win with Dalton but that is so very rare to have a defense like this, good ST, and extraordinary skill players at every position. It just doesn't happen.

He is in a great situation, that is for sure. He will get great coaching and not have to play right away except for the suspension or in case of injury. But I can't wait to see him against a Rex defense in week two with the players and pass rushers we have. He's not going to know what the heck is going on or what hit him. That's going to be fun.

He has a chance, no question. He has the physical ability. It's just so hard for a second round pick to be a quality starter in this league. So very few are ever good enough, and even guys that are seemingly good enough, like Dalton, I really don't want on my team because I don't think you can win with him.*

*If you have a team like the 2015 Bills you could win with Dalton but that is so very rare to have a defense like this, good ST, and extraordinary skill players at every position. It just doesn't happen.

Well he's certainly not Andrew Luck (or even Russell Wilson) but I don't even think he ever lined up under centre in college and he's doubtless got a long way to go. I too will be really interested in seeing the Rex-Belly chess match when the Pats have the ball.