2015 Bills Hype: Is it Warranted?

Wazzu Bill

We were supposed to have playoff caliber team in 2012, Mario's first year, with the upgrade to Wanny as the Defensive coordinator.

True but Wanny had been out of the NFL a long time. If Roman washes out like Wanny did our season goes with him but given that he ran an offense that has made two Championship games and a Superbowl in the last 4 years I think the chances of that are slimmer. Fingers crossed.

Unfortunately it's a different era now. Not sure if teams built like that can have SB success anymore. Seattle is the closest thing, and Wilson is a big step up from McMahon, imo.

Well unless someone pulls a franchise QB from their butt, this is what we have. So enjoy the ride or give up now.

Well unless someone pulls a franchise QB from their butt, this is what we have. So enjoy the ride or give up now.

Why can't I have low expectations and enjoy the ride? I don't expect us to win the superbowl, but it should be a fun season :)

The Bills were 9-7 last year, but if Detroit's kicker hadn't screwed up so badly, and if New England had needed to win the last game (at home), it would have been 7-9. The Bills beat the Packers and then lost to the Raiders the very next week. Inconsistency like that is a sign of a team without enough leadership or character. I'll want to see clear proof that this problem has been solved before I go all in. If, as seems possible even if not likely, Fred Jackson doesn't make the team, the leadership quotient will go in the wrong direction. Considering Shady's ill-considered blather about racism, I need to see evidence that he's ready to fill Jackson's leadership shoes.

The biggest improvement this year is in coaching. Partly Rex, but more Roman. Hackett was a disaster as OC last year. Roman simply has to be a big improvement. Also the O line has been upgraded.

The biggest caveat out there is injuries. The defense has good depth but it's unrealistic to think backups can come in to replace Dareus or either Williams or Hughes, and not have a dropoff in talent. The offense is deep at WR, with also a lot of bodies at RB, but is pretty thin elsewhere. A couple of injuries to the same position on the offense would be doom.

Edited by Utah John

Until I hear something more encouraging from our QBs, I think we're going to be pretty mediocre. Our defense will give teams fits, but without a QB it'll be hard to score our own points. Same as the last couple of years basically. It'll come down to our strength of schedule what our actual record is.

Exactly, we can ground and pound all we want but to get from the red zone to the end zone we need a QB that can throw a laser on target. We could not get this done last season - so I'm cautious about talking playoffs and superbowl until this team proves they can string together a few wins in a row against good teams.

We have an OC that knows how to win with an average QB and Whaley's done a good job getting him everything else he needs to be successful (Gs and all skill players).

That's the best collective improvement.

This is why I said that Roman could make this an exciting season. I didn't start this thread to say we are DOOMED, I just think people should come back down to earth.

Can't wait for the home opener :beer:

The Bills were 9-7 last year, but if Detroit's kicker hadn't screwed up so badly, and if New England had needed to win the last game (at home), it would have been 7-9. The Bills beat the Packers and then lost to the Raiders the very next week. Inconsistency like that is a sign of a team without enough leadership or character. I'll want to see clear proof that this problem has been solved before I go all in. If, as seems possible even if not likely, Fred Jackson doesn't make the team, the leadership quotient will go in the wrong direction. Considering Shady's ill-considered blather about racism, I need to see evidence that he's ready to fill Jackson's leadership shoes.

The biggest improvement this year is in coaching. Partly Rex, but more Roman. Hackett was a disaster as OC last year. Roman simply has to be a big improvement. Also the O line has been upgraded.

The biggest caveat out there is injuries. The defense has good depth but it's unrealistic to think backups can come in to replace Dareus or either Williams or Hughes, and not have a dropoff in talent. The offense is deep at WR, with also a lot of bodies at RB, but is pretty thin elsewhere. A couple of injuries to the same position on the offense would be doom.

love the what if game...i would like to add, if B Brown doesn't fumble against KC and if EJ doesn't throw it right into JJ Watts hands, the record could be different as well...

If GB didn't choke, they would have been in the SB.

If not for trick plays, Baltimore most likely would have been in the SB.

if Seattle runs the ball, they are most likely SB champs.

If my grandma had nuts she'd be my grampa...

Edited by ricojes

I like our D but the league favors offense now more than it ever has..

We are likely the same at QB this year as we were last year with Orton.. Could be a slight upgrade, could be worse... who knows.

We don't beat NE in NE last year if that game meant anything.

This looks like a 9-7 team. Great D but bad O. QB is just so important... sigh.

Exactly, we can ground and pound all we want but to get from the red zone to the end zone we need a QB that can throw a laser on target. We could not get this done last season - so I'm cautious about talking playoffs and superbowl until this team proves they can string together a few wins in a row against good teams.

This is why I said that Roman could make this an exciting season. I didn't start this thread to say we are DOOMED, I just think people should come back down to earth.

Can't wait for the home opener :beer:

I have little doubt that we'll win the home opener.

Tough defenses like ours come out and smack the opponent in the first game when there's little tape to go off of.

While with the Jets, Rex was 5-1 in season openers and that one loss came to Baltimore in 2010, another tough defense.

Just an optimistic tidbit for ya. :thumbsup:

And the Colts are soft. The Bills are exactly the kind of team they hate playing against. If Dareus was available for that game I'd already be chalking up the "W" without him I am a little more nervous but I do think we have a very good chance of winning it.