Bills training camp practice 8/10

YoloinOhio

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well he's going to have to win a job before he's ever going to have a season as good as Orton did last year. And I don't think Orton had a good season last year- to me, he was a disappointment. But look at his numbers. Extrapolate them over 16 games (4,000+ yards and 24 TD's) and I'd be surprised if Manuel ever has a season that good in this league. And that's my issue. The EJ guys love to take cheap shots at Orton, Cassel, even Tannehill (which is utterly preposterous). Let's see Manuel sniff what any of those three guys have ever accomplished in this league and then you can make fun of them again.

I took your question to assume EJ would be starting no matter what. If you're asking me the odds he starts I say 40% and if he wins the competition, 90% he is better than Orton.

Edited by YattaOkasan

Well he's going to have to win a job before he's ever going to have a season as good as Orton did last year. And I don't think Orton had a good season last year- to me, he was a disappointment. But look at his numbers. Extrapolate them over 16 games (4,000+ yards and 24 TD's) and I'd be surprised if Manuel ever has a season that good in this league. And that's my issue. The EJ guys love to take cheap shots at Orton, Cassel, even Tannehill (which is utterly preposterous). Let's see Manuel sniff what any of those three guys have ever accomplished in this league and then you can make fun of them again.

I don't disagree. But you are looking at them in a vacuum. We can extrapolate Ortons number and he would have had a great year. He also could have gone 0-4 against the first 4 teams with 180 ypa. Same way us "EJ supporters" say he could have bounced back. I was all for EJ getting benched, until about week 16 when Orton was doing very little.

I'm not sure why it's so important to you that others agree that EJ will not succeed in the NFL. Can he, maybe. But the likelihood is low and we all know that. Not something that really needs to be rehashed over and over. Just because we support him doesn't mean we don't know he has his issues.

Orton had a lower qbr last year than Manuel as a rookie. Orton's first 2 years were way worse than EJ's. Cassel didn't play until year 4.

I had a busy weekend and wasn't around here. But by all accounts, Manuel was the most productive qb in the scrimmage. Yet the second he struggles in a practice, people jump all over him. Why is that? Why does Joe B report Manuel throws a terrible pass and later we find out the wr ran the wrong route?

No, you are right. The scrimmage did matter. I was in attendance and thought he made some nice throws. However, he often follows up those nice throws with a head scratcher. The truly good and or franchise guys don't do that. That is what I meant by "eye test".

I once was high on EJ too, especially after that comeback at home vs the Panthers. Since then he just hasn't looked the part. I wish he did!

If EJ was more consistent, this competition wouldn't be happening. He said he is really trying to wrong on his mechanics, so hopefully we'll see the improvement.

I've seen the Matt Cassel show before and know how it ends. Taylor is exciting but I don't think he can win often enough from the pocket and will get killed if he scrambles all the time. I think EJ is the best blend but he needs to win it. And it sounds like he was the best qb in the only meaningful game situation they have had yet.

Long way to go. Also, the oline needs to get better.

If EJ was more consistent, this competition wouldn't be happening. He said he is really trying to wrong on his mechanics, so hopefully we'll see the improvement.

I've seen the Matt Cassel show before and know how it ends. Taylor is exciting but I don't think he can win often enough from the pocket and will get killed if he scrambles all the time. I think EJ is the best blend but he needs to win it. And it sounds like he was the best qb in the only meaningful game situation they have had yet.

Long way to go. Also, the oline needs to get better.

It'll be nice to assess the QBs and the entire offense against a real opponent of Friday night.

It'll be nice to assess the QBs and the entire offense against a real opponent of Friday night.

I used to hate preseason games because how people overreact to everything ("I can't we believe we cut that guy! We are so dumb!").

But man, this over analyzing of practice is the worst thing ever. Of course, I always hated camp.

Orton had a lower qbr last year than Manuel as a rookie. Orton's first 2 years were way worse than EJ's. Cassel didn't play until year 4.

I had a busy weekend and wasn't around here. But by all accounts, Manuel was the most productive qb in the scrimmage. Yet the second he struggles in a practice, people jump all over him. Why is that? Why does Joe B report Manuel throws a terrible pass and later we find out the wr ran the wrong route?

Let's put the EJ debate aside. That's nitpicking at Joe Buscaglia. If you're on the sideline and your job is to tweet about every pass or whatever and he sees EJ sail one, how is he supposed to know that the WR ran the wrong route. His job is to give us updates throughout training camp and he does that just fine. I seriously doubt he or anyone else has an anti-EJ agenda.

I don't disagree. But you are looking at them in a vacuum. We can extrapolate Ortons number and he would have had a great year. He also could have gone 0-4 against the first 4 teams with 180 ypa. Same way us "EJ supporters" say he could have bounced back. I was all for EJ getting benched, until about week 16 when Orton was doing very little.

I'm not sure why it's so important to you that others agree that EJ will not succeed in the NFL. Can he, maybe. But the likelihood is low and we all know that. Not something that really needs to be rehashed over and over. Just because we support him doesn't mean we don't know he has his issues.

Guess what? We are on the exact same page. I have never once said that EJ will not succeed in the NFL. All I have said is that it's OK, or at least you'd think it would be OK, to have the opinion that it appears less than likely that he will. Which it sounds like you agree with. As someone who has wasted WAY too much time on here arguing about this subject, I can tell you that there are many people who do not agree with you that the likelihood of his success is low. There are many people who think that all of his issues can be attributed to Doug Marrone. There are far more people who insist he was/is a project and it's way too early to have any sort of opinion on him whatsoever.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Let's put the EJ debate aside. That's nitpicking at Joe Buscaglia. If you're on the sideline and your job is to tweet about every pass or whatever and he sees EJ sail one, how is he supposed to know that the WR ran the wrong route. His job is to give us updates throughout training camp and he does that just fine. I seriously doubt he or anyone else has an anti-EJ agenda.

I am sure that Joe Buscaglia's job is to report accurate events and not argue with tweeters or taking a video of some kid on the sideline when his job is observing an NFL team.

I am sure that Joe Buscaglia's job is to report accurate events and not argue with tweeters or taking a video of some kid on the sideline when his job is observing an NFL team.

I actually stopped following him on twitter because I thought he was too dorky. But whenever I used to hear him on the radio or now when I read his daily articles, I think he does just fine.

And I was at camp today, as soon as I saw the pass and the receiver at least 5 yards past where the ball was thrown, I knew it was miscommunication on the route.

And I was in the stands, not on the sideline like the media.

Nitpicking the media is one thing. Picking out Joe B is another. He doesn't like EJ.

Edited by The Wiz

I assume you're referring to this:

"EJ----8 for 12, 1 too long, 2 too high. Trying too hard. Waiting too long, not making reads fast enough. At one point likely sacked on 4 successive plays."

But the reports said he was working with 2nd/3rd team and the O-line was getting dominated. So, I'm keeping that in mind.

75% completions...

75% completions... that number for EJ sure does occur frequently.

Can we stop with the childish reference of "meh"? Please?

I know you are in EJ's camp, but to me and to many others, he just doesn't pass the eye test and if he hasn't started to shine consistently in practice, ever, I wouldn't anticipate it to happen anytime soon.

Oh please first - many people here does it. second - the the test - eye roll

and lastly Meh is short hand for NOT IMPRESSED.

Guess what? We are on the exact same page. I have never once said that EJ will not succeed in the NFL. All I have said is that it's OK, or at least you'd think it would be OK, to have the opinion that it appears less than likely that he will. Which it sounds like you agree with. As someone who has wasted WAY too much time on here arguing about this subject, I can tell you that there are many people who do not agree with you that the likelihood of his success is low. There are many people who think that all of his issues can be attributed to Doug Marrone. There are far more people who insist he was/is a project and it's way too early to have any sort of opinion on him whatsoever.

Does Joe B, who has pretty much bashed EJ since he was picked, look better or worse if EJ becomes a productive NFL qb? These guys have giant egos and think they are important.

And the point is that maybe you shouldn't talk crap about a pass play if you don't have all the information. These media guys are the dudes who couldn't play sports but now get to talk crap about the jocks.

When is the last time a buffalo media memelber has ever broken a Bills news story? Ian Rappaport and Adam Sheftner know more about the team than they do. It's pretty pathetic.

75% completions... that number for EJ sure does occur frequently.

Oh please first - many people here does it. second - the the test - eye roll

and lastly Meh is short hand for NOT IMPRESSED.

Boyuel is short for until he has a season like Cassel has had in this league, he's still a little boy by NFL standards. Perhaps one day he will develop into a man that an NFL team can trust to be their starting QB. A real man like Kyle Orton or Matt Cassel for instance. Until then, he is just a little Boyuel. Serious question- are you a bigger EJ Manuel fan than you are a Bills fan?

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Does Joe B, who has pretty much bashed EJ since he was picked, look better or worse if EJ becomes a productive NFL qb? These guys have giant egos and think they are important.

And the point is that maybe you shouldn't talk crap about a pass play if you don't have all the information. These media guys are the dudes who couldn't play sports but now get to talk crap about the jocks.

When is the last time a buffalo media memelber has ever broken a Bills news story? Ian Rappaport and Adam Sheftner know more about the team than they do. It's pretty pathetic.

That could all be true. Like I said, I stopped following him on twitter but I never thought of him as being anti-EJ. Now that you mention it though, I remember him being against the pick at the time. I think that's fair. Every last person on this website fancies themselves a football prognosticator to some extent. He saw a guy who wasn't very good in college and was seen as a massive project. So far he's been dead on. If he's been unjustly critical of Manuel between the pick and now, that could be, again, I don't really follow him too much.

Boyuel is short for until he has a season like Cassel has had in this league, he's still a little boy by NFL standards. Serious question- are you a bigger EJ Manuel fan than you are a Bills fan?

It wasn't for me but I'll give my opinion. I'm all about the Bills.

But I think it's embarrassing the way EJ has been treated since he was drafted. Crap coaching staff and fans consistently riding the dude. I want him to win the job because Cassel is the lesser version of Orton (and I can't stand Orton) and Taylor makes me nervous (both good and bad).

Plus, I would love how some of these media members would look dumb and have to backtrack if EJ wins the job. But it's all about the playoffs and I almost think the Bills can make it no matter who the qb is.

That could all be true. Like I said, I stopped following him on twitter but I never thought of him as being anti-EJ. Now that you mention it though, I remember him being against the pick at the time. I think that's fair. Every last person on this website fancies themselves a football prognosticator to some extent. He saw a guy who wasn't very good in college and was seen as a massive project. So far he's been dead on. If he's been unjustly critical of Manuel between the pick and now, that could be, again, I don't really follow him too much.

Agreed. He also loved Manziel. It's the great thing about the media - zero accountability.

Boyuel is short for until he has a season like Cassel has had in this league, he's still a little boy by NFL standards. Serious question- are you a bigger EJ Manuel fan than you are a Bills fan?

Serious question actually 2 ....

Do you love trolling?

Do you honestly think Boyeul bothers me?

If EJ stays in the league for 11 years and isn't a Franchise QB I'll call him meh when that time comes.