Howard Simon Ready to Leave WGR?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Relax, WGR is an infant in the world of sports radio.A small market radio station will never attract talent so you get what you get.We essentially get radio personalities here that cant go beyond Buffalo.If he leaves another warm bodied Bills fan will take his place.

I think you may be a bit confused on this subject. In fact, small markets are where many (most?) TV and Radio on-air "talent" gets their start. It is very common for some of the most talented young broadcasters to start in a smaller market. As such, Buffalo has been a hotbed for talent through the years.

Now, you are right that, as a rule, established stars don't flock to a market such as Buffalo---the money just isn't there to pay them, and they get limited exposure. But that doesn't mean the older local on-air personalities don't have talent. I don't make the mistake of equating fame/stardom/etc with talent. I mean, how can one argue that a guy like Colin Cowheard has more talent than someone like Howard Simon (for example)? Perhaps he has a stronger radio voice than Howard, though I'd say both are adequate for the job. What separates them, IMO, is Cowheard's willingness to engage in controversy for it's own sake. He is willing to make preposterous comments on the air, to make unfounded/over-the-top accusations and bark opinions I'm not even sure he truly believes. All this for the sake of controversy.

It's become clear to me, in modern media (and this is more true in talk radio than anywhere) controversy has taken the place of honest/reasonable discussion. And "talent" now means the ability, and especially willingness, to do whatever it takes to stir the pot. Because drawing an audience with controversy is much easier than to attract one with a calm discussion. After all, most every blowhard has an opinion, and is more than willing to share it. Relatively few have an intelligent and informed take on things, and have the eloquence to state it convincingly.

I haven't heard Howard in man years now, but he was always top-notch with Empire sports. He was the kind of sports talk-radio host that fostered reasonable discussion. So I guess he doesn't have the "talent" to make it in radio in a big market.

OK, end of rant.

I think you may be a bit confused on this subject. In fact, small markets are where many (most?) TV and Radio on-air "talent" gets their start. It is very common for some of the most talented young broadcasters to start in a smaller market. As such, Buffalo has been a hotbed for talent through the years.

Now, you are right that, as a rule, established stars don't flock to a market such as Buffalo---the money just isn't there to pay them, and they get limited exposure. But that doesn't mean the older local on-air personalities don't have talent. I don't make the mistake of equating fame/stardom/etc with talent. I mean, how can one argue that a guy like Colin Cowheard has more talent than someone like Howard Simon (for example)? Perhaps he has a stronger radio voice than Howard, though I'd say both are adequate for the job. What separates them, IMO, is Cowheard's willingness to engage in controversy for it's own sake. He is willing to make preposterous comments on the air, to make unfounded/over-the-top accusations and bark opinions I'm not even sure he truly believes. All this for the sake of controversy.

It's become clear to me, in modern media (and this is more true in talk radio than anywhere) controversy has taken the place of honest/reasonable discussion. And "talent" now means the ability, and especially willingness, to do whatever it takes to stir the pot. Because drawing an audience with controversy is much easier than to attract one with a calm discussion. After all, most every blowhard has an opinion, and is more than willing to share it. Relatively few have an intelligent and informed take on things, and have the eloquence to state it convincingly.

I haven't heard Howard in man years now, but he was always top-notch with Empire sports. He was the kind of sports talk-radio host that fostered reasonable discussion. So I guess he doesn't have the "talent" to make it in radio in a big market.

OK, end of rant.

I never said talent doesn't get their start at small market stations, that's obvious.If you read my post I stated that they don't move beyond those markets.I enjoy our local guys as well such as Tom Bauerle,the guy is awesome .I personally can't listen to local sports talk shows cause they go on and on about really stupid topics that are unrelated to sports at all then when they do a post game show they insult the majority of callers.I love listening to hockey talk coming out of Toronto, top notch.

I never said talent doesn't get their start at small market stations, that's obvious.If you read my post I stated that they don't move beyond those markets.I enjoy our local guys as well such as Tom Bauerle,the guy is awesome .I personally can't listen to local sports talk shows cause they go on and on about really stupid topics that are unrelated to sports at all then when they do a post game show they insult the majority of callers.I love listening to hockey talk coming out of Toronto, top notch.

Well, that's exactly what happens to ambitious talent at small markets: move beyond to bigger markets. Most of the top names in national media started in small markets, then moved their way up. The ones that stay put do so for a variety of reasons. But not everyone is in a race to get to NYC or LA.

Well, that's exactly what happens to ambitious talent at small markets: move beyond to bigger markets. Most of the top names in national media started in small markets, then moved their way up. The ones that stay put do so for a variety of reasons. But not everyone is in a race to get to NYC or LA.

You are correct however my point is that if they don't have the talent they stay in those small markets no matter how ambitious they are.

I wonder if Jeremy White would take the reigns if Howard left? I grew up in the same neighborhood with him, and graduated in the same HS class. Truly a good dude. Funny...I don't recall him being a Bills/Sabres fan growing up.

Maybe he can come over and help you stain that deck Johnny LOL.

Can you expound on why you think Tom Bauerle is awesome?

You are correct however my point is that if they don't have the talent they stay in those small markets no matter how ambitious they are.

Well, if you believe talent is what matters in the radio game (I tend to disagree, though it is a factor), then wouldn't it be fair to say, you simply don't move up from any market if you aren't talented? In fact, seeing as how little talent it actually takes to do the job, it's hard to believe you would even be able to keep a job in any market, if you lacked talent.

Remember, what you initially said was "A small market radio station will never attract talent so you get what you get.We essentially get radio personalities here that cant go beyond Buffalo". So, what exactly is your position now?

Well, if you believe talent is what matters in the radio game (I tend to disagree, though it is a factor), then wouldn't it be fair to say, you simply don't move up from any market if you aren't talented? In fact, seeing as how little talent it actually takes to do the job, it's hard to believe you would even be able to keep a job in any market, if you lacked talent.

Remember, what you initially said was "A small market radio station will never attract talent so you get what you get.We essentially get radio personalities here that cant go beyond Buffalo". So, what exactly is your position now?

Whatever position makes the least sense and/or makes him the biggest troll.

imo