Patrick Kane--sexual assault allegations--

Guffalo

Here's the USA Today piece. Written by my old friend Dave Staba, former Sports Editor for the Niagara Gazette and stringer for the New York Times.

He used quite a few of my quotes.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/2015/09/11/patrick-kane-investigation-buffalo-chicago-blackhawks/72060676/

That's definitely a different angle. I never have even thought about it reflecting on Buffalo. I guess being in S. Buffalo, I think about the people involved more. If it was, say, Gronk, maybe I would have thought about it in terms of the article.

I totally agree that we've become so robust lately that we would be able to shake off bad news better...........It is so great that after decades of 90% of headlines being bad news, now 90% are about good news.

Thanx ChevyVanMiller!!!!

"“I was pleasantly surprised by how enlightened many hockey fans, especially in Buffalo, seemed to be about the whole thing,” Bedenko said. “There’s a small minority of diehard Kane fans who see the whole thing as being some sort of manufactured witch hunt, or someone is out to get money. But they’ve been very, very vocal and completely unreasonable.”"

Not in Chicago! Read this:

http://www.talk-sports.net/nhl/girlfriend.aspx/Patrick_Kane

Read this from 2013:

http://thecommittedindian.com/evening-reading-last-nights-ci-editorial/

Bedenko is such an ahole - giving a backhanded compliment to sports fans and Buffalonians - both of which he hates.

That first link - I have no idea what that is.

That second link mentions Kane's "arrogant sneer" after a goal. It has seemed to me - and I don't watch them enough to know for sure - that when he scores, the celebration is not so much about "We got a goal" but "I got a goal"

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was slammed earlier in this thread for thinking it reflected negative on BFLO... And I haven't even lived there in 25 years!

I guess, old habits are hard to die...

Thanx for the article CVM! Great take!

That's definitely a different angle. I never have even thought about it reflecting on Buffalo. I guess being in S. Buffalo, I think about the people involved more. If it was, say, Gronk, maybe I would have thought about it in terms of the article.

I totally agree that we've become so robust lately that we would be able to shake off bad news better...........It is so great that after decades of 90% of headlines being bad news, now 90% are about good news.

Bedenko is such an ahole - giving a backhanded compliment to sports fans and Buffalonians - both of which he hates.

That first link - I have no idea what that is.

That second link mentions Kane's "arrogant sneer" after a goal. It has seemed to me - and I don't watch them enough to know for sure - that when he scores, the celebration is not so much about "We got a goal" but "I got a goal"

I am not sure what that link is either... I searched to see what was up w/his girlfriend (from Illinois) and got that bizarre exchange of posts. I was searching because she was supposedly nixed from doing 'Hawks charity events. Did they break-up? How can they not... He has just been accused of rape. Even if he wasn't, what the hell is he bringing two chicks home to party w/? Where was his girlfriend. What a scumbag!

It later comes out that she was @ the private Stanley Cup party @ his house... AFTER the allegations. Gee, money must be everything w/these dirtballs, girlfriend included!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I was slammed earlier in this thread for thinking it reflected negative on BFLO... And I haven't even lived there in 25 years!

I guess, old habits are hard to die...

BS. Your take was that Buffalo is to blame. This article is about how Buffalo would have said in the past "just our luck"

I am not sure what that link is either... I searched to see what was up w/his girlfriend (from Illinois) and got that bizarre exchange of posts. I was searching because she was supposedly nixed from doing 'Hawks charity events. Did they break-up? How can they not... He has just been accused of rape. Even if he wasn't, what the hell is he bringing two chicks home to party w/? Where was his girlfriend. What a scumbag!

It later comes out that she was @ the private Stanley Cup party @ his house... AFTER the allegations. Gee, money must be everything w/these dirtballs, girlfriend included!

She was there. So was her whole family.

BS. Your take was that Buffalo is to blame. This article is about how Buffalo would have said in the past "just our luck"

She was there. So was her whole family.

NO WAY! Not that SOUTH BFLO culture wasn't to blame... That holds true. I was born in BFLO, yes... Right in BFLO. South BFLO and BFLO are like two different planets when it comes to the culture.

BFLO wasn't to blame... Douchbaggery South BFLO culture was! Big difference!

And... To a point... That is what I was thinking... Just BFLO's luck. Here we have a legit superstar and he pulls this crap!

This is the same guy that toasted BFLO cabbies @ his first Cup victory parade!

Who's he gonna toast next year? All the hot cheerleaders in BFLO?

That's definitely a different angle. I never have even thought about it reflecting on Buffalo.

Nor would anyone else with half a brain cell.

%#*@^! dumb premise to think someone who moved away 12 years ago factors into how the 1.1 million residents who live here now view themselves...

Edited by Lurker

Nor would anyone else with half a brain cell.

%#*@^! dumb premise to think someone who moved away 12 years ago factors into how the 1.1 million residents who live here now view themselves...

I don't think it is, then again, I only have half a brain cell.

Look how a lot of people still call BFLO "home." This is a uniqueness with the area more so than other places. I still refer to the area as home. You know why, becuase it is. All my family is there. There is only us 4 in Illinois (wife, daughter, son, and myself)... Extended family life centers around WNY.

I suspect Patrick Kane is the same. Sure he left, but he associates with the area just as others who left. Just notice how much he brings up his "home" in conversation.

I guess it is good for the area to distance itself and kinda get on par with how other areas view their identity.

Myself? It's like I have been on the road with work for 25 years... Same with my wife. This feeling of "home" has even passed through to our children.

Here... One can be so proud of a local BFLO guy and then he continues to sh*t all over the area he associates with.

You know what is saddening? Through the years, everytime I go home, the area is looking more and more like other places. BFLO has lost its uniqueness and tight knit feel, IMO. But that is a good thing?

I live in Illinois... But I am from WNY. No matter where I go.

I do love how you own your insanity!

:rolleyes:

If everybody could be so humble.

The dude lives in Hamburg... Brings The Cup "Home" everytime he wins one... BUT he doesn't live there! He left 12 years ago! And I am insane. Sure sounds like the area still can't break out the grips of what it would use to think.

Denial is not just a river in Egypt.

I know there are a lot of new and exciting things taking place in the area and that area of 1.1 million doesn't need to ride on and associate w/Kane's coattails. He associates, but they don't. That's very refreshing! And why would they with an accused rapist! I am glad that many are distancing themselves w/this punk. Everybody is still proud of the local kid when they make it... This is very disappointing to say the least.

Only about 1% of Buffalo area residents...and one guy in Illinois, apparently...

Oh come on! He just happens to play a stone's throw from here. People @ work, know my hometown is BFLO... Whenever Kane comes up in conversation, they always bring it up! It is like a magnet. Even my Blackhawks fan neighbor's corner me on it! I don't iniate the conversation. I monopolize it and finish it though! :nana:

Don't get me wrong... BFLO is very touchy about a lot of things! I am glad this is Chicago's problem now!

And... I even haven't mentioned boo to anybody back home, especially my South BFLO native father-in-law.

The bit I saw of the PC was brutal. IMHO was a big mistake for the Hawks to do this now. They would have been better off reserving comment until this comes to some sort of conclusion.

It was! Kane looked lost & guilty, the organization lost. I wonder what the point was? You think the victim was watching? In a sick to my stomach way, I felt kinda sorry for this eff-up punk! Think that was the point? Sympathy? Will the victim will grant him quarter? BUT, now if I was the victim, I wouldn't have felt as sorry. If what she is saying is true, she needs to step on this punk's throat once and for all!

If what she is saying is true, he controlled (to put it politely) her against her will AND settling will also be controlling her through money. If this goes to court, if I was her and took the stand, I'd say all money from this will go to victim advocacy! Let them try and slut shame her as a gold digging hockey whore then, they couldn't!

He looked scared... He's not so tough now!

Mark Potash asked him if he will quit drinking! Of course, no comment... Money will buy him out of this!

I am almost wondering if they pushed the Grand Jury back when they found out when Blackhawks camp was. ?? This way, Kane goes to camp, and it distracts the media from watching the victim going in front of the Grand Jury. Basically, a "diversion." All eyes will be on Kane @ Notre Dame... Not downtown BFLO.

I am really hoping the DA is playing this that way, avoiding the media circus. I don't want to be jaded, cynical... If there was a crime committed, the state should do everything in its power so this doesn't turn into a three-ring circus. It seems they are doing a good job protecting the victim and making sure justice is not compromised. This is the stage of the game where victims would get scared, shamed, and run. Kane in camp deflects away from the legal process.

If they were going to settle, wouldn't it be done by now. Blackhawks and Kane looked like deer in headlights. We have the weekend and the Notre Dame camp should be winding down just around the time the Grand Jury is finishing up with the victim and Kane is 450 miles away!

I may be wrong, but I don't think that any one goes before the Grand Jury, accuser, accused, witnesses, etc. The GJ simply looks at the facts before them and weighs if there is enough evidence to bring it to trial.

I am almost wondering if they pushed the Grand Jury back when they found out when Blackhawks camp was. ?? This way, Kane goes to camp, and it distracts the media from watching the victim going in front of the Grand Jury. Basically, a "diversion." All eyes will be on Kane @ Notre Dame... Not downtown BFLO.

I am really hoping the DA is playing this that way, avoiding the media circus. I don't want to be jaded, cynical... If there was a crime committed, the state should do everything in its power so this doesn't turn into a three-ring circus. It seems they are doing a good job protecting the victim and making sure justice is not compromised. This is the stage of the game where victims would get scared, shamed, and run. Kane in camp deflects away from the legal process.

If they were going to settle, wouldn't it be done by now. Blackhawks and Kane looked like deer in headlights. We have the weekend and the Notre Dame camp should be winding down just around the time the Grand Jury is finishing up with the victim and Kane is 450 miles away!

I may be wrong, but I don't think that any one goes before the Grand Jury, accuser, accused, witnesses, etc. The GJ simply looks at the facts before them and weighs if there is enough evidence to bring it to trial.

Yeah... I wasn't sure either, but I did hear that they were saying she and possibly he may be called. The thing about him being called, they were some defenses may not thing that was a wise move.

I wonder what the definitive answer on this is? Do people appear before the Grand Jury or what?

Quick search reveals that people DO testify before Grand Juries.

"Your rights in a grand jury room--whether called as a witness or as the target of the investigation--are very limited."

http://nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/testifying-before-a-grand-jury.html

"People called before a grand jury as witnesses do not have to be warned that they are or may become targets. Miranda-type warnings are not required, unless they are specifically given immunity (that is, promised that they won't be charged based on their testimony), any testimony witnesses provide to a grand jury may be used against them in a later prosecution."

None of his DNA found down you know where, same with the undergarments... BUT they found his DNA under her nails and on her back (presumably where the alleged bite mark is?).

Party Kaner clears a hurdle, minor one... BUT read on... Serious questions still... Did he bite her? Penetrate w/out ejaculating? Wear a condom? "Rape in New York" is defined even by the slightest penetration.

http://sabres.buffalonews.com/2015/09/19/dna-test-results-spur-questions-in-kane-case/

Geeze... I am gonna be the steward of this thread... LoL