• Jeb Bush
    • Donald Trump
    • Hillary Clinton
    • Bernie Sanders

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think people forget that the GOP have won three out of the last five presidencies and would have won at least another if Bush sr. vs Clinton if Perot hadn't run. So it's a myth to believe that they keep losing elections, it's simply not supported by the facts. When was the last time the D's won back to back presidencies?

I have no problems with candidates running "aggressive" campaigns, but purposely lying about a race to gin up voters is not the way to do it. Why do you think that an overwhelming portion of the country views him as a clown? We aren't talking about a slight majority we are talking about 2/3 of the entire country who see him for what he is.

Not to mention the 2010 and 2014 midterm elections.

I think people forget that the GOP have won three out of the last five presidencies and would have won at least another if Bush sr. vs Clinton if Perot hadn't run. So it's a myth to believe that they keep losing elections, it's simply not supported by the facts. When was the last time the D's won back to back presidencies?

I have no problems with candidates running "aggressive" campaigns, but purposely lying about a race to gin up voters is not the way to do it. Why do you think that an overwhelming portion of the country views him as a clown? We aren't talking about a slight majority we are talking about 2/3 of the entire country who see him for what he is.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I am saying that the last two republican presidential candidates were too soft in their campaigning, whether due to their personality or their chosen approach in presenting themselves. Romney had Obama on the ropes during their first debate, but then pulled his punches in the next two.

The deal with Trump is that despite what we all may think of him as a legitimate candidate, he's connecting with a lot of people who have been anxious for their candidate to show a little fire in their belly, and he's unapologetic about it. That resonates.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I am saying that the last two republican presidential candidates were too soft in their campaigning, whether due to their personality or their chosen approach in presenting themselves. Romney had Obama on the ropes during their first debate, but then pulled his punches in the next two.

The deal with Trump is that despite what we all may think of him as a legitimate candidate, he's connecting with a lot of people who have been anxious for their candidate to show a little fire in their belly, and he's unapologetic about it. That resonates.

My father had the exact same observation regarding Romney on the those two other debates. Well, hopefully Trump doesn't run as a third party candidate, the saving grace could be his financial bottom line. Despite his bluster about his net worth, his income has taken a little bit of a hit with all the boycotts etc. Not only will have the Latino's written him off, which has hurt his commercial brand if he ruins the chances of the GOP, there will be some wealthy elite GOP donors who won't do business with him either.

Have you not seen how thin-skinned he is? Can you imagine him losing and how he'd react?

You know the funny part? Many here make a living of posting cartoons of another egotistical thin skinned intellectual middleweight. But it's ok if one represents their party.

I don't vote against my best interests. I'm not represented, so I vote against your best interests.

As of right now, I could cast a ballot for either Rand Paul or Gary Johnson, should he get into the race.

Johnson strikes me as being the same league as Kasich... Track records, expereince, very unlucky to get traction... I'd like to see one of them get a fair shake and shot.

“He makes Jerry Springer look like Masterpiece Theatre.” - David Brooks on The Donald

Say what you want about "The Donald" but upthread Azalin's comments are right on. By-and-large, most other candidates have no message that isn't tempered so that it does not offend anyone. Trump says some things that resonate with those of us that are fed up. He also says some things that make us cringe, not only for their content but because they serve no purpose, ie. the McCain remarks or the illegal Mexican rapists remarks.

Right, it is hardly shocking that a big segment of Trump's support is the white working class. The Post probably intended that article to be a takedown of Trump's supporters in order to thrill the Post's elitist progressive readers.

But really, uneducated is a compliment, because it also means un-indoctrinated and un-lied-to. As I've said before, I'd much rather the country be run by your average midwestern working class white than by a Harvard graduate.

And white. And uneducated.

At first, I thought it was an attempted sleight at his supporters but after reading the article the tone wasn't derogatory it was simply putting the pieces of the puzzle together. The findings of what the writer of the article makes a lot of sense, republican voters that are at most risk of having to compete for jobs with illegal immigrants are the ones that support Trump. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the article.

Once again, racism is the answer.

Trump is popular now IMO because he is a plain speaking un-politician. The problem that the rest of the GOP field has is that there is a sameness among several of the candidates and at this early stage they are splitting the remainder of support. Trump is like a 2nd party within the party and with no competition. The longer the 15 non-Trump candidates stay in the race, the better it is for Trump. Trump may well win some early primaries if he gets through the early debates OK and if there are still a whole bunch of other candidates in the race.

At first, I thought it was an attempted sleight at his supporters but after reading the article the tone wasn't derogatory it was simply putting the pieces of the puzzle together. The findings of what the writer of the article makes a lot of sense, republican voters that are at most risk of having to compete for jobs with illegal immigrants are the ones that support Trump. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the article.

To be honest with you, I think that entire article is complete BS because of the way that the term 'immigration' has been nearly redefined in our modern culture. It's not insignificant that the word 'illegal' has been left out of the equation. People do not have a problem with legal immigration, but many people - such as myself - have a big problem with people being allowed to stay after entering the country illegally, while others are spending the time and a hell of a lot of money to go about immigrating the legal way. That article, like damn near all the others offered on the issue, are not focusing on the real problem with immigration, and nobody out there is trying to do anything about simplifying the process for immigrants to come here legally and integrate into our society.

There's a lot more than just a resonance among uneducated white republicans in the reaction to Trump's stance on the issue. Articles like that one only serve to buttress the continuing false narrative regarding immigration.

Articles like that one only serve to buttress the continuing false narrative regarding immigration.

As well as the predictable, simplistic liberal thinking that if you like Trump, you are clearly "uneducated" and have "negative views of immigration and Mexican immigrants in particular."

Negative views of immigration? That's like saying you have negative views of weather because you think man-made climate change is bunk.

Once again, racism is the answer.

Trump is popular now IMO because he is a plain speaking un-politician. The problem that the rest of the GOP field has is that there is a sameness among several of the candidates and at this early stage they are splitting the remainder of support. Trump is like a 2nd party within the party and with no competition. The longer the 15 non-Trump candidates stay in the race, the better it is for Trump. Trump may well win some early primaries if he gets through the early debates OK and if there are still a whole bunch of other candidates in the race.

He's twice as unpopular as he is popular....Just sayin'

He's twice as unpopular as he is popular....Just sayin'

Yes, but if there are 10 other GOP candidates in the race through several primaries and they are all splitting 67% of the support, Trump could very well win or be in the top two in a bunch of primaries with only 25%-30% supporting him. I don't see Bush doing well in the debates. Not his strength IMO.

To be honest with you, I think that entire article is complete BS because of the way that the term 'immigration' has been nearly redefined in our modern culture. It's not insignificant that the word 'illegal' has been left out of the equation. People do not have a problem with legal immigration, but many people - such as myself - have a big problem with people being allowed to stay after entering the country illegally, while others are spending the time and a hell of a lot of money to go about immigrating the legal way. That article, like damn near all the others offered on the issue, are not focusing on the real problem with immigration, and nobody out there is trying to do anything about simplifying the process for immigrants to come here legally and integrate into our society.

There's a lot more than just a resonance among uneducated white republicans in the reaction to Trump's stance on the issue. Articles like that one only serve to buttress the continuing false narrative regarding immigration.

How is it BS? when its simply pointing out facts. It's not making a case one way or another, all the article does which makes sense is connect the dots. It simply states that the people who are voting for Trump tend to be less educated and are against immigration reform. That's not a sleight, that's simply reporting what they see in their polling data. No one is saying there is anything wrong with being less educated, Democrats have shown to have had lower IQ scores than Repubs , but that's besides the point.

A lot of people are wondering, who are Trump's supporters? That's a legitimate question considering all the hoopla around Trump. So this article delves into their polling data and there is a sensible explanation to it. I'm not gonna lie, as soon as I read the headline, I was thinking Oh boy, here we go again, some article that was written to caste Repubs in a negative light. But then after reading it, I didn't come away with that whatsoever.

Right, it is hardly shocking that a big segment of Trump's support is the white working class. The Post probably intended that article to be a takedown of Trump's supporters in order to thrill the Post's elitist progressive readers.

But really, uneducated is a compliment, because it also means un-indoctrinated and un-lied-to. As I've said before, I'd much rather the country be run by your average midwestern working class white than by a Harvard graduate.

as joe miner said in the bernie thread, "very few peoples opinion matters". no one challenged him on it cuz he is correct. doesn't matter. trump can't win the presidency. written in stone.

Edited by birdog1960