Gay Marriage everywhere, mass hysteria ensues

Did anyone catch the portion of the opinion where the Supreme Court justifies same-sex marriage with the rationale that it's related to the individual right of procreation? :wallbash: That logic is more tortured than William Wallace.

The three bizarro decisions the court's handed down the past several days (the third is the lethal injection decision, where the court argues that "Well, it could be cruel and unusual, but we don't have anything less cruel and unusual, so it's not cruel and unusual." And two justices argue that the death penalty itself is cruel and unusual which - true or not - wasn't even the issue under consideration), I'm seriously job-hunting, if not considering a complete career change. I can no longer work in support of a government that's abandoned the rule of law and governs on whimsy.

Glad you're waking up to the reality of our dire situation. May actually have better governance in third world countries.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anyone catch the portion of the opinion where the Supreme Court justifies same-sex marriage with the rationale that it's related to the individual right of procreation? :wallbash: That logic is more tortured than William Wallace.

The three bizarro decisions the court's handed down the past several days (the third is the lethal injection decision, where the court argues that "Well, it could be cruel and unusual, but we don't have anything less cruel and unusual, so it's not cruel and unusual." And two justices argue that the death penalty itself is cruel and unusual which - true or not - wasn't even the issue under consideration), I'm seriously job-hunting, if not considering a complete career change. I can no longer work in support of a government that's abandoned the rule of law and governs on whimsy.

Yeah, reasoning didn't die in the SCOTUS on Friday; it died on Thursday.

• 2 weeks later...

All jokes aside, I am curious what the liberal position is on the right of an artist to refuse to paint a picture because it depicts homosexuality (or anything else, for that matter).

1. Not all businesses are classified as public accommodations- I doubt that an artist would be but ask your lawyer

2. a business does not have to provide a service that it does not normally provide - if a sweater shop will not provide a wedding cake for a black wedding it is not discrimination, if a pizza shop will not provide a wedding cake for a black wedding it is not discrimination, if a bakery that makes wedding cakes will not provide a wedding cake for a black wedding that is discrimination and they can be sued, - the next question would be does a bakery have to make any modifications to it's standard fare? I think the answer is no, if a bakery makes square vanilla cakes with vanilla frosting it would be under no obligation to make round chocolate cakes with chocolate frosting. -

3. basically a business of public accommodation has to sell it's standard fare or provide it's standard service regardless of race, gender, ethnicity or religion- also reasonable accommodations must be made for the disabled- as discussed before sexual orientation is not a federally protected class but is protected in 20 States and some localities

4. standard fare -a strip club would be required to let in female patrons but would not be obligated to have male strippers

5. If a artist was considered a business of public accommodation (I don't think so), what would his standard fare be ? can you make a landscape artist do portraits? I have a friend who's an artist, he does three or four paintings a year and he turns down many commissions every year for all types of reasons, for example he won't do a portrait of a living person.

6. you might find these interesting

http://civilrights.findlaw.com/enforcing-your-civil-rights/discrimination-in-public-accommodations.html

https://www.legalzoom.com/articles/the-right-to-refuse-service-can-a-business-refuse-service-to-someone-because-of-appearance

2. a business does not have to provide a service that it does not normally provide - if a sweater shop will not provide a wedding cake for a black wedding it is not discrimination, if a pizza shop will not provide a wedding cake for a black wedding it is not discrimination, if a bakery that makes wedding cakes will not provide a wedding cake for a black wedding that is discrimination and they can be sued, - the next question would be does a bakery have to make any modifications to it's standard fare? I think the answer is no, if a bakery makes square vanilla cakes with vanilla frosting it would be under no obligation to make round chocolate cakes with chocolate frosting. -

I agree with that, but I don't think most liberals do.

1. Not all businesses are classified as public accommodations- I doubt that an artist would be but ask your lawyer

For example: BAKERIES.

Liberals classify as "public accommodations" whatever causes the most outrage.

I agree with that, but I don't think most liberals do.

lets say you were in a state were sexual orientation is a protected class and you are a bakery that sells wedding cakes

would you have to sell a gay couple a wedding cake? yes! would you have to sell a gay couple a special vagina shaped rainbow wedding cake ? no! - lets say you do Happy Anniversary cakes where you write people's names, for instance "Happy Anniversary Bill and Betty" would you also have to do "Happy Anniversary Barb and Betty" or "Happy Anniversary Bill and Bob" ? yes!

For example: BAKERIES.

Liberals classify as "public accommodations" whatever causes the most outrage.

well Tom you should call and state your opinion maybe you'll get the verdict overturned- look how well your opinion is respected here

well Tom you should call and state your opinion maybe you'll get the verdict overturned- look how well your opinion is respected here

It's not opinion - Title II is specific on the matter.

And it's wasn't a verdict. It was an administrative finding and fine. There was no court or due process involved.

And it's wasn't a verdict. It was an administrative finding and fine. There was no court or due process involved.

But since sexual orientation is not a protected class in Title II, The bakery case was about state or local law not Title II

This is the age of Obama. Administrative rulings trump due process

Who does the liberal side with?

is he white muslim?

3. basically a business of public accommodation has to sell it's standard fare or provide it's standard service regardless of race, gender, ethnicity or religion- also reasonable accommodations must be made for the disabled- as discussed before sexual orientation is not a federally protected class but is protected in 20 States and some localities

4. standard fare -a strip club would be required to let in female patrons but would not be obligated to have male strippers

5. If a artist was considered a business of public accommodation (I don't think so), what would his standard fare be ? can you make a landscape artist do portraits? I have a friend who's an artist, he does three or four paintings a year and he turns down many commissions every year for all types of reasons, for example he won't do a portrait of a living person.

6. you might find these interesting

http://civilrights.findlaw.com/enforcing-your-civil-rights/discrimination-in-public-accommodations.html

https://www.legalzoom.com/articles/the-right-to-refuse-service-can-a-business-refuse-service-to-someone-because-of-appearance

So, if a couple who's beliefs do not align with mine and I refuse to sell them beef because they are a homosexual, different race, different religion, a giant crustacean from the Paleolithic Era, or even a tranny?