Best Breaking Bad Episodes?

Just finished watching them for the 3rd time, this time with the commentary and close captioned for dialogue...lol. This is how I would rank them. Can't decide on the order just yet.

...And the Bags in the River (S1 EP. 3) - Bologna sandwich/broken plate realization.

Grilled (S2 Ep. 2) - Walt/Jesse kidnapped by Tuco and the dynamic with wheelchair bound Tio.
4 Days Out (S2 Ep. 9) - Marathon cooking session that ends up going wrong with a dead RV battery.
Box Cutter (S4 Ep. 1) - Gus Fring sending a message in the super lab after the murder of Gale.
Hermanos (S4 Ep. 8) - Back story of Tio (Hector), Gus and their controversial past.
Salud (S4. EP. 10)- Gus and Mike take on the cartel in Mexico unknowingly to Jesse who is there to cook for the boss.
Face Off (S4 Ep. 13)- Literally.
Live Free or Die (S5 Ep. 1) - Magnets!
Dead Freight (S5 Ep. 5) - Epic train heist and one of the most expensive episodes in the series.
Ozymandius (S5 Ep. 14) - Uncle Jacks crew and the conclusion to Hank and Gomez

Notables: Negro y Azul, Half Measures, ABQ, One Minute

What do you think are the best episodes of the series?

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Can't argue with any of these selections.

Chances are, if you post a completely different list, I wouldn't argue them, either.

Other than 'Fly', I can't think of a questionable episode. And I don't question that one too much, either. I think it had it's place in the story arc for sure.

Almost all the episodes in the second half of season 5 were incredible. Just amazing how the show kept getting better and better as it went on.

Not sure about best episode, but one of my favourite scenes was when Walt sees that junkie buying supplies at the hardware store and realizes the guy is a meth cook. He then goes outside and punks him and the tough guy by telling him to stay off his turf. Truly the turning point for Walt. And the accompanying music was excellent.

Guessing this thread gets moved soon.

Chances are, if you post a completely different list, I wouldn't argue them, either.

Other than 'Fly', I can't think of a questionable episode. And I don't question that one too much, either. I think it had it's place in the story arc for sure.

'Fly' was actually the first episode I saw. I remember thinking "Holy ****, they made an episode about two guys trying to kill a fly and made it interesting. How good must the rest of this show be?"

'Fly' may have been the worst episode of Breaking Bad, but that still makes it better than most things on TV.

'Fly' was actually the first episode I saw. I remember thinking "Holy ****, they made an episode about two guys trying to kill a fly and made it interesting. How good must the rest of this show be?"

'Fly' may have been the worst episode of Breaking Bad, but that still makes it better than most things on TV.

That speaks well of you that you gave the show a chance given 'Fly' was the first episode you saw. It definitely had it's place in the scheme of things, but I don't think Gilligan and Co. would have chosen that one as the pilot, which is what it was for you. I'm guessing you were happy you stuck around for the entire ride.

Fly is my least favorite episode. The production was suffering budget problems at the time and the easiest way to save money was to shoot an entire episode in a single location/set with the least amount of actors as possible.

Fly is my least favorite episode. The production was suffering budget problems at the time and the easiest way to save money was to shoot an entire episode in a single location/set with the least amount of actors as possible.

I recall Gilligan speaking of this concern. At the time they didn't have the commitment from AMC for season 4 and they had to write several variations for possible series-ending episodes as well. 'Fly' was the most polarizing episode for sure, but Cranston's chops really made it work as it was designed, I think.

Like DC Tom implies, 'Breaking Bad' at its worse was better than a lot of TV shows at their best. And 'Breaking Bad' at its best was rarefied air for a television series. Shows have been different, but none have been better, imo. It has a place at the table for the greatest shows ever.

I like Breaking Bad a lot, but "Fly" was one of the worst things I have ever seen. It's up there with the movie "Tree of Life" of things I've watched where it felt like God was punishing me for something. I couldn't just skip through either, because after the first 30 minutes of torture, I'd be furious if I gave up and missed something important. I don't think that episode really added anything of value. JMO.

It wasn't just the slow pace. I can handle the pace. I loved the movie "Gerry" by Gus Van Sant, and that was basically just two guys walking through a desert for 2 hours.

I like Breaking Bad a lot, but "Fly" was one of the worst things I have ever seen. It's up there with the movie "Tree of Life" of things I've watched where it felt like God was punishing me for something. I couldn't just skip through either, because after the first 30 minutes of torture, I'd be furious if I gave up and missed something important. I don't think that episode really added anything of value. JMO.

It wasn't just the slow pace. I can handle the pace. I loved the movie "Gerry" by Gus Van Sant, and that was basically just two guys walking through a desert for 2 hours.

The episode didn't jive or just "fit" with me either but it makes sense now when learning that creative was forced because of budget concerns. I'm sure "The Fly" would have never existed otherwise.

The episode didn't jive or just "fit" with me either but it makes sense now when learning that creative was forced because of budget concerns. I'm sure "The Fly" would have never existed otherwise.

Makes sense.

A similar bottle episode existed in season 2, I believe? The one where Jesse and Walt run out of gas in the desert for the weekend. It was still pretty good with just them two for 90% of the episode.

(Side note, the bolded synopsis sounds much less interesting than the show).

Just finished watching them for the 3rd time, this time with the commentary and close captioned for dialogue...lol. This is how I would rank them. Can't decide on the order just yet.

...And the Bags in the River (S1 EP. 3) - Bologna sandwich/broken plate realization.

Grilled (S2 Ep. 2) - Walt/Jesse kidnapped by Tuco and the dynamic with wheelchair bound Tio.

4 Days Out (S2 Ep. 9) - Marathon cooking session that ends up going wrong with a dead RV battery.

Box Cutter (S4 Ep. 1) - Gus Fring sending a message in the super lab after the murder of Gale.

Hermanos (S4 Ep. 8) - Back story of Tio (Hector), Gus and their controversial past.

Salud (S4. EP. 10)- Gus and Mike take on the cartel in Mexico unknowingly to Jesse who is there to cook for the boss.

Face Off (S4 Ep. 13)- Literally.

Live Free or Die (S5 Ep. 1) - Magnets!

Dead Freight (S5 Ep. 5) - Epic train heist and one of the most expensive episodes in the series.

Ozymandius (S5 Ep. 14) - Uncle Jacks crew and the conclusion to Hank and Gomez

Notables: Negro y Azul, Half Measures, ABQ, One Minute

What do you think are the best episodes of the series?

Gliding Over All is up there. Nat King Cole while 11 guys get whacked, Hank getting disillusioned chasing "monsters" while talking to Walt. One of the best moments in the series.

A similar bottle episode existed in season 2, I believe? The one where Jesse and Walt run out of gas in the desert for the weekend. It was still pretty good with just them two for 90% of the episode.

(Side note, the bolded synopsis sounds much less interesting than the show).

I don't know. That was one of the best bolded synopses I've ever seen. I was riveted to every word, each dripping with tension as it led to the next.

Not so good with the episode names...and I think Breaking Bad was damn near perfect...for me, a few that really stand out \:

the one where Walt dupes Hank into thinking Marie has been in a terrible car accident, in order to get him off Jessie (and his) trail...that was intense...that episode where you start to really realize how awful a person Walt really is, but you are kind of rooting for him anyways... I really didn't see any way the boys were getting out of that sticky situation, short of murdering Hank...but cold, and resourceful Walt really came through...

The one where we realize that Walt did, indeed, poison Brock...the last shot of the episode was one of those spine tingling moments..

Also, the episode where Walt frantically tares up the floor-boards of his house to get to his money stash, only to find out that Skyler has given a considerable amount of it away.... it ends with a brilliant shot of him lying in the dirt, laughing insanely at his own predicament....

And, of course, the episode where Walt realizes that Hank knows his secret..their confrontation in the garage was something that had been building up for a few seasons...

Such an amazing show...toying with the idea of watching from the beginning all over again...I have only seen them once...also thinking about a second run of the Sopranos...they are series #1 (Sopranos) and #1-A (Breaking Bad) for me.

Edited by Buftex

Not so good with the episode names...and I think Breaking Bad was damn near perfect...for me, a few that really stand out \:

the one where Walt dupes Hank into thinking Marie has been in a terrible car accident, in order to get him off Jessie (and his) trail...that was intense...that episode where you start to really realize how awful a person Walt really is, but you are kind of rooting for him anyways... I really didn't see any way the boys were getting out of that sticky situation, short of murdering Hank...but cold, and resourceful Walt really came through...

The one where we realize that Walt did, indeed, poison Brock...the last shot of the episode was one of those spine tingling moments..

Also, the episode where Walt frantically tares up the floor-boards of his house to get to his money stash, only to find out that Skyler has given a considerable amount of it away.... it ends with a brilliant shot of him lying in the dirt, laughing insanely at his own predicament....

And, of course, the episode where Walt realizes that Hank knows his secret..their confrontation in the garage was something that had been building up for a few seasons...

Such an amazing show...toying with the idea of watching from the beginning all over again...I have only seen them once...also thinking about a second run of the Sopranos...they are series #1 (Sopranos) and #1-A (Breaking Bad) for me.

Every scene in the junkyard with Larry Hankin in Breaking Bad was incredible. Junkyard Joe messing with Hank about "the law" in an attempt to delay him to get into the RV. The scene where the RV gets destroyed is awesome television as well.

That was at the end of Face Off and you see the Lilly of the Valley plant on the pool deck.