Free Windows 10 Upgrade Beginning 7/29: Who's in?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll probably do it.

By the way, anyone here ever shop at a Microsoft store? I didn't even know there was one in a mall in So.NH. They sell WIndows computers without any bloatware. Just a clean OS install. They also will tune up any Windows computer up to 6 years old. That includes virus removal, driver repair, etc. Very surprised at the level of free service they offer.

They also have some really inexpensive computers with solid state drives, starting at $229.

Free Upgrade to Windows 10

Personally, I'm upgrading all three of my Windows 8.1 machines. I'll hold off for at least one year before upgrading my Windows 7 Ultimate machine.

I'm advising my clients not to rush into it. I always take a "wait and see" attitude with a new Windows OS. Let other work the bugs out.

Most of my clients love their Windows 7 machines, and I'm not sure if I will ever advise them to change the OS. I certainly wouldn't do anything to my main Windows 7 machine. I have a spare laptop that I will upgrade, just so I can play around and get used to Win 10.

For my Windows 8.1 clients, it depends. Most of my clients are pretty satisfied with the OS, once I tweaked it for them. But others still don't seem to like Windows 8.1. For them, I guess the upgrade is likely.

I have one client whose computer has not successfully upgraded to Windows 8.1. Microsoft has advised as has HP and we have spent many hours working on the situation. (God how I despise HP.) No go. So she has been using Windows 8, with no complaints. Perhaps she will be my first client to try the upgrade, though I am worried the upgrade to Windows 10 will also fail and the whole thing might go sideways.

I'll probably do it.

By the way, anyone here ever shop at a Microsoft store? I didn't even know there was one in a mall in So.NH. They sell WIndows computers without any bloatware. Just a clean OS install. They also will tune up any Windows computer up to 6 years old. That includes virus removal, driver repair, etc. Very surprised at the level of free service they offer.

They also have some really inexpensive computers with solid state drives, starting at $229.

Had a few friends and clients get their PCs direct from the Microsoft store. You are correct, the computers were free of most crapware (still a couple useless manufacturers' programs, but minimal). Overall a very good experience. Price was right, too.

I'm advising my clients not to rush into it. I always take a "wait and see" attitude with a new Windows OS. Let other work the bugs out.

Most of my clients love their Windows 7 machines, and I'm not sure if I will ever advise them to change the OS. I certainly wouldn't do anything to my main Windows 7 machine. I have a spare laptop that I will upgrade, just so I can play around and get used to Win 10.

For my Windows 8.1 clients, it depends. Most of my clients are pretty satisfied with the OS, once I tweaked it for them. But others still don't seem to like Windows 8.1. For them, I guess the upgrade is likely.

I have one client whose computer has not successfully upgraded to Windows 8.1. Microsoft has advised as has HP and we have spent many hours working on the situation. (God how I despise HP.) No go. So she has been using Windows 8, with no complaints. Perhaps she will be my first client to try the upgrade, though I am worried the upgrade to Windows 10 will also fail and the whole thing might go sideways.

That's a good sound strategy. I'm going to create system images for all of my 8.1 machines prior to upgrading so that I'll be able to revert back if necessary.

That's a good sound strategy. I'm going to create system images for all of my 8.1 machines prior to upgrading so that I'll be able to revert back if necessary.

Excellent idea. Let us know how the upgrade goes.

I signed up for the upgrade. Whether or not I do it is a different story. I'm quite happy with Win 7 64-bit and the only reason I upgrade from xp 64 was because I couldnt get the newest version of the itunes software to update my iphone 3G.

I'm willing to wager that Win 10 will be a solid product because it seems that each new OS after a flop is a solid one. (Win 7 > Vista, XP > Windows ME) My only concern is they appear to have kept the GUI from Win 8 which I hate. Windows 8 should have never been placed on any laptop or PC. That was a touchscreen interface from its inception.

Did they skip Windows 9? Like Star Trek movies they seem to flip flop between good and blah or really bad.

I was hoping Windows 9 would replace the atrocious Windows 8.1

Vista should have be aborted at birth

Yes, they did. Because they have so many applications that have checks for legacy version of Windows of the sort "If X = 'Win9'..." that releasing a "Windows 9" would have broke nearly every damn thing on the planet.

So they jumped to Windows 10, which will just break have the **** on the planet.

• 4 weeks later...

So how is it? I am tempted, but scared off because the automatic updates and other potential poison pills

Is there anyways to shut off automatic updates with regedit? I turned off automatic updates on Windows 8, yet it still updates on it's own, usually at the worst time

So how is it? I am tempted, but scared off because the automatic updates and other potential poison pills

Is there anyways to shut off automatic updates with regedit? I turned off automatic updates on Windows 8, yet it still updates on it's own, usually at the worst time

Then you didn't turn it off.

I believe the Home versions of 8 and 10 don't allow users to turn off the updates. But I have it off right now on my Surface (I got sick of Windows rebooting to update while I was in the middle of something...!@#$ you, Microsoft, for making me lose a 40-page document because you just couldn't wait another ten minutes to update Skype.)

The Surface is great - the first real work-capable tablet to hit the market. I can actually write code with it. But God, do I wish I could put Linux on it.