MMQB: 2 Bills assistants looked at as future HC candidates

Roman has been talked about as a HC candidate for many years, but has been repeatedly passed over. At this point I have to think there's a valid reason he hasn't gotten that HC gig he seems to want pretty badly (judging by the interviews he has done). Or maybe it's just been bad luck and now owners are gun shy. That happens. And sometimes guys are just much better coordinators or position coaches than stepping up a level. I don't know what's up, but I'd love to.

The nicest part about the BILLS having potential HC candidates on their staff is that there are potential HC candidates on the staff. That means the new ownership is doing something that Ralph was the worst at: spending money on coaching talent.

Based on that list, nearly every team has a "potential HC" on the staff.

Lynn is not a potential HC. I can't see that ever happening for a guy who has been around for 15 years and is still a RB coach. He's only here (anywhere?) because Rex is a loyal guy and brought nearly his whole Jets staff with him.

You aren't likely to keep a coordinator that is being offered a HC job, no matter the money. It happens, but it's pretty rare. The money will be helpful bringing in new talent, but just like the draft bringing in a new OC is a crap shoot.

And in the meantime...sit on my thumbs? I'm just talking here about a possible eventuality, pretty much 98% of the offseason discussion.

Thought that was his point. Even if the Bills lose a coordinator to a HC job somewhere, they will be in the mix, at worse, to get the next coordinator that'll be in the mix for HC openings.

The nicest part about the BILLS having potential HC candidates on their staff is that there are potential HC candidates on the staff. That means the new ownership is doing something that Ralph was the worst at: spending money on coaching talent.

As you know though, Ralph really was cheap.