Sophomore Spotlight: Sammy Watkins

This is it right here. Especially if he's healthy, as he has rare talent.

the team upgraded their coaching staff, including at offensive coordinator. Greg Roman, formerly the OC of the 49ers, will undoubtedly come up with game plans that involve getting the ball in Watkins hands often. Buffalos quarterbacks dont seem like a trio that can stretch the field consistently, but throwing bubble screens, slants and other routes that allow Watkins to create after the catch will surely be a part of the teams game plan.

i dont think Watkins will get as many targets as last year. Too many other "weapons" and too many running plays.

I hope the staff schemes ways to get him the ball in space, so he can have the same production with fewer touches.

(and secretly, like many bills fans, I hope he is not a Barry Sanders, whose talent is wasted on a team that cant use him right. Because his talent is off the charts. One of only 4 players ever to be NCAA first team all-american as a true freshman).

i dont think Watkins will get as many targets as last year. Too many other "weapons" and too many running plays.

I hope the staff schemes ways to get him the ball in space, so he can have the same production with fewer touches.

(and secretly, like many bills fans, I hope he is not a Barry Sanders, whose talent is wasted on a team that cant use him right. Because his talent is off the charts. One of only 4 players ever to be NCAA first team all-american as a true freshman).

Madden, your probably right, but it also means he won't be getting double and triple teamed. remember when they rolled a lot of coverage to him, Woods had good games. Imagine that times four with Clay, Harvin, McCoy, Watkins, and Woods out there together along with Pelton plowing the way for McCoy.

The key here is can our upgraded coaching and different philosophy in blocking help our line to improve. On another thread on EJ there were lots of comments on the pourous line and was fair. The funny thing is our massive line, that is powerful was not made for zone blocking which is what Maroon forced on the team. Our sizable line is better suited for a hat on a hat power game. My guess is even Richardson, and Kuondjo will look better with this new philosophy.

Some comments I like in this article is how they compare Watkins explosiveness and shifty nature is comparative to a RB. I couldn't agree more. Now imagine him healthy as he fought through three injuries last year. I'm guessing Watkins is going to have a hell of a year not in overall yards, but how many yards per catch and YAC.

I remember right before we drafted him i was reading a draft rag that gave player comparisons of rookies and who they related to in already NFL players.....

In this one.......Sammy Watkins compared to......

non other then.......

Percy Harvin

yes they are very similar in terms of ability and being multi-dimensional weapons. Sammy has a higher football IQ (imo) and is a more polished outside WR. And of course the attitude thing or whatever it is Percy has/had.

I think the main reason they got Harvin was to open things up for Watkins.

Edited by YoloinOhio

This should be correct. Less touches , but much more effective when he gets the ball !

Harvin and McCoy offer some of the same attributes as far making play after getting the ball. We saw next to none of what Watkins does best called last year. Kinda screwed Spiller too.

If we can get more out of the blockers. opening holes , getting to the second level and actually lead blocking these Bills are designed to find the weak spots and blow right through them. and if any of these guys , even Goodwin! can turn the corner or find the gap ... we score.

Sophomore slump be damned!! Felton Clay O Leary Conner and Jackson can all block and hit like beasts. just get one or two of them out in front of Sammy on the sweep. reverse or anything thing with misdirection and Boom!

Gonna be the best Bills season EVER. so glad i lived this long!!

Go Bills

yes they are very similar in terms of ability and being multi-dimensional weapons. Sammy has a higher football IQ (imo) and is a more polished outside WR. And of course the attitude thing or whatever it is Percy has/had.

I think the main reason they got Harvin was to open things up for Watkins.

You would be foolish not to think Harvin will be taken seriously by the Defenses Bills battle. He will get enough attention for sure. and we could have two or three more on the field that also need attention !

I am going to mark it down here today.

I think Harvin is going hit his stride this season as a Bill. He will be used outside more often and succeed. But his advantage is the Coaches ability to move him around. Lal is coaching this kid up and i think loves him some Percy

Think pressure Crazy Rex's multi Defense play calling . Showing itself on Offense under Roman. Where is the pressure coming from?

Screw the Mike will be the callout!

Ground and pound? sure we will :flirt:

But if we can do just that . Run the ball effectively, if not at will even and gain 3-4 yds, the skies open up for play a calling jamboree festival that will delight all

:thumbsup:

Edited by 3rdand12