There is no downside to cheating

Let us also not forget practicing players who were on IR (Ross Tucker, who played for them, as well as the Bills, Cowboys and 'Skins, said that Pats* players told him "Everyone does this" to which he replied, "No, we're the only ones doing this."), communications going out at Gillette for opposing coaches at key times (two head coaches, Del Rio and Marinelli, made this claim), micing up players to capture audibles, a team full of aging vets, one of whom was caught using HGH (only because he was dumb enough to us his own name and address to ship them to), etc. This is not an isolated incident.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it hurts the argument to point to these plays as cheating, they were legal at the time and the Pats found a way to exploit a weakness in the rule. As Kraft says in the article, " we play to the rule book" . And , as Brady famously mentioned" maybe the Ravens should read the rule book"

Hmm, I believe the rule boom also states something about air pressure in balls.

I'm not sure how I feel as a fan of the team if the Bills were to cheat to win. Personally I don't condone cheating and would never encourage or support it. However as a fan, other than the fact I root for the team, my interest or support is microscopic to the team so would it be worth me getting upset if they did cheat to win? I imagine I'd feel embarrassed to say I was a Bills fan, but at the end of the day I'm not 100% sure mine or any fans opposition to the team cheating means very much.

You gloss over the question of intent, but it's critical. Cheating is intentionally doing something against the rules of the game to gain an advantage or perceived advantage. Holding, jumping across the line early, pass interference, those aren't cheating - although in some cases, like when Seattle dares the officials to call them for contact, you might be able to make a case. But you're lumping together ordinary in-game infractions with extraordinary, largely out-of-game violations, and it's not clear why.

I think the reverse could be equally as true. As mentioned, the Seahawks defensive backfield basically cheats on every play which causes the officiating to shift in their favor because no official is willing to call interference/holding/illegal use of hands on every single pass play. But the issue here is that Pete Carroll and his defensive staff are coaching to push/bend/break the rules. It is clearly a conscious decision and intended to fly in the face of the rules.

Teams grow the grass on the field a little longer to slow down speedy teams, raise the temperature of the ice for the same reasons, baseball stadiums are designed for competitive advantage....these examples are not necessarily rule infractions but they skirt the spirit of honest competition.

Do I think the Patriots broke a rule and should be punished? Absolutely and the rule book states the penalty is a fine...so a fine should be levied. If the league feels that any team or player has done something that effects the integrity of the league (on and off the field), then they should take action. I don't ever hear much about the fact that kickers continue to manipulate the balls for more distance......is that any different, really?

But what bothers me the most is if the air pressure is so crucial and so vital to the integrity of the game, then game balls should all be the same...kickers too, prepped and controlled by the league just like the game balls are in basically every other sport in the world.