is the new deal partly to blame for baltimore's riots

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you can just make up anything from a comment?

I'm just following your logic. You said poverty is a culture. Then you bring up corporations are part of our culture so I took that to mean that corporations are responsible for the culture of poverty. :wacko:

I'm just following your logic. You said poverty is a culture. Then you bring up corporations are part of our culture so I took that to mean that corporations are responsible for the culture of poverty. :wacko:

Stop obfuscating his point with details and clarifications!

You asked for any example and I gave you one. No, our wonderful corporations--which are up today on Wall Street--have not impoverished inner city people. I think the legacy of slavery and Jim Crow are part of the creation of a culture of poverty, though

Stop obfuscating his point with details and clarifications!

Dick alert!

Hi Tom B-)

To play gator's advocate, many of those slaves were not allowed to learn how to read or write. We're five generations removed from black folks who were prohibited by law from learning pretty much anything besides picking cotton. Fast forward to 1900 and still only 50% of black men aged 20-64 can read and write. By 1930 about 20% of all blacks aged 10 and up are illiterate. It's considerable improvement, but we're only about 70-75 years removed from a full fifth of the black population not being able to read or write.

It is not surprising, then, that many blacks, and the impoverished as a whole, continue to live in a way that makes middle-class white people raise their eyebrows. Their way of thinking about things is vastly different from the way you or I may think. You and I are future-oriented in our thinking. We invest, save, prioritize around the future. Our parents raised us to think about the future, it's all we know. The impoverished as a whole are present-oriented. Their lives revolve around what they and their kids are going to eat tomorrow, where they'll find decent winter coats and boots for this winter, where the money for utility bill that's due next week is coming from, etc. Everything is prioritized around the present out of necessity. Kids fall in with gangs and the drug trade because they provide immediate safety and financial security. They won't live to see 30, but hey, at least they'll have friends and some cash.

So the way to change culture is to change thinking. The benefit and safety net type programs are in place so that impoverished folks can worry less about the present and invest and work hard towards the future. But there's no incentive or motivation to work and invest towards the future if there's no education and no end to the benefits in sight. They keep thinking about the present and often never even see a way out even though it's there for them.

Link for percentages? I'd also be interested in seeing those same stats for the Irish-American immigrants during those time periods.

You asked for any example and I gave you one. No, our wonderful corporations--which are up today on Wall Street--have not impoverished inner city people. I think the legacy of slavery and Jim Crow are part of the creation of a culture of poverty, though

So you're saying that black people are impoverish today due to the way they were treated 200 years ago? So black people are the only people in poverty? Racist much?

Edited by Chef Jim

You finally found yours? Congratulations!

:lol:

So you're saying that black people, due to the way they were treated 200 years ago, is the reason they are impoverished today? So black people are the only people in poverty? Racist much?

Jim Crow was 200 years ago???

:wallbash: do you carry a club and drag women around by the hair?

Why do you say that? Stay at home moms have the most important job of all. Doing the lions share of raising quality citizens. You would rather have a mom working at Sears with some random idiot looking after her kids at a day care? Not saying women must do this but if they have that luxury it is the best situation for producing quality people. I don't blame you. You don't know any other way because you have been brought up on feminism that has devalued motherhood to being subservient to men. Narrow minded bs that goes against common sense.

Edited by Dante

No but slavery was. Care to explain why white people are poor?

But Jim Crow was just 50 years ago.

Why are some white people poor...for a million reasons.

Why do you think many inner city people are poor?

Because they are paid not to take jobs creating a culture of dependency. Given enough to sustain,. Get the flat screen and xbox and a cell phone and life is good. Never having to go to work to acquire a work ethic or basic employee skills. So after a few generations this is what you have. A culture of dependency never striving for something more. I've thought that black America in the 60s had an advantage of sorts. They had come from adversity which should have made them superior as far as toughness goes. Whats the saying "Adversity builds men, prosperity builds monsters"( Was Hugo thinking Soros, Buffet?) Not physically but mentally and for all I know they probably were. But the Democrats made sure they crushed that little advantage when the waged war on poverty. Got the black community on the heroin of the social assistance. Thanks LBJ you pos.

A million reasons? Give me a couple?

Many people are poor because that's all they've lived with and have given up. Some are content with living on the government dole. Some are lazy. But my question is why do you equate poor with black?

Because rich white republican politicians have legislated for decades to the advantage of their rich white cronies and continue to do so with no end in sight?

Edited by keepthefaith

Why do you say that? Stay at home moms have the most important job of all. Doing the lions share of raising quality citizens. You would rather have a mom working at Sears with some random idiot looking after her kids at a day care? Not saying women must do this but if they have that luxury it is the best situation for producing quality people. I don't blame you. You don't know any other way because you have been brought up on feminism that has devalued motherhood to being subservient to men. Narrow minded bs that goes against common sense.

because i can't imagine anyone doing a better job at vital position than my wife. it would have been a shame to waste that talent when a wet nurse would suffice.

i believe you lead by example. there's clearly merit in stay at home motherhood, at times even glory. i believe successful parenting does not require it, however.

Edited by birdog1960

because i can't imagine anyone doing a better job at vital position than my wife. it would have been a shame to waste that talent when a wet nurse would suffice.

Are you really equating stay-at-home motherhood with a stand-in breast-feeder?