NFL to announce end of tax exempt status

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2015-04-28/nfl-will-end-its-tax-exempt-status-goodell-tells-team-owners

While I hate that the NFL is tax exempt, I can only think of selfish reasons that Goodell would want to turn the tables. Prepare for his salary to go from 35 mil to 50 mil

I hope the money they pay in taxes doesn't cause inflation of NFL-related expenses for the fans.

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2015-04-28/nfl-will-end-its-tax-exempt-status-goodell-tells-team-owners

While I hate that the NFL is tax exempt, I can only think of selfish reasons that Goodell would want to turn the tables. Prepare for his salary to go from 35 mil to 50 mil

I hope the money they pay in taxes doesn't cause inflation of NFL-related expenses for the fans.

I love how people that have no knowledge blame Goodell for everything.

So Goodell has selfish reasons for wanting the league office to pay taxes? Yeah that makes sense.

What does Goodell's salary have to do with anything? I will never understand why people hv an issue with it as he's basically the CEO of a multi billion dollar company that continues to grow.

About time, they sure aren't a non-profit.

Because the NFL doesn't make a profit. The franchises make profits.

The LEAGUE actually loses money. Not only that, but the league's balance sheet is in the red. And now, as a "non-non-profit," the franchises can now use those losses to offset some of their income, and pay less in taxes themselves.

That's right: the NFL might actually pay LESS in taxes now than they did with tax-exempt status.

So be careful what you wish for. Particularly when you're too stupid to understand it.

The LEAGUE actually loses money. Not only that, but the league's balance sheet is in the red. And now, as a "non-non-profit," the franchises can now use those losses to offset some of their income, and pay less in taxes themselves.

That's right: the NFL might actually pay LESS in taxes now than they did with tax-exempt status.

So be careful what you wish for. Particularly when you're too stupid to understand it.

Bravo.

Particularly corporate taxes, when they assume that "revenue" and "profit" are the same damned thing.

Never mind the difference between accrual and cash accounting.

I love how people that have no knowledge blame Goodell for everything.

I totally agree with you, dude gets crapped on for any move the NFL makes. I can assure that RG had nothing to do with the tax status of the NFL

This will net the NFL money hand over fist on what it already has (off the books). I'm sure the NFL has exhausted most of the outlets that they can for NFP and exploited others such as deals with FOX/NBC/NFLN/Nike/etc. but now they are going to take the non-profit label off and be a true business. Get ready to see a new name on the NYSE (NFL).

Thank you for this excellent post.