redrafting 2014 oline class

Pete

The Bills seem to have a lot of difficulty scouting and valuing offensive linemen, both at the collegiate level and in the pros. There have been some hits - Glenn and Henderson - but there have been a ton of misses. It should not be this difficult to find interior linemen who can hold up respectfully. They need to take a hard look at their scouting process. I'm disgusted by it.

The Bills seem to have a lot of difficulty scouting and valuing offensive linemen, both at the collegiate level and in the pros. There have been some hits - Glenn and Henderson - but there have been a ton of misses. It should not be this difficult to find interior linemen who can hold up respectfully. They need to take a hard look at their scouting process. I'm disgusted by it.

But how much does coaching affect this? Glenn and Wood's play has dropped off in recent years. Levitre is FA bust after he left Buffalo. Pears was a passable RT who got switched to G. Urbik was a servicable starter who was probably our best G (not saying much) who got benched for half of the season.

If the players produced as poor under this staff as they did under Marrone, it obviously is them. But I'm predicting a better oline and it's nto because the players magically got better. It will be because of better coaching.

But how much does coaching affect this? Glenn and Wood's play has dropped off in recent years. Levitre is FA bust after he left Buffalo. Pears was a passable RT who got switched to G. Urbik was a servicable starter who was probably our best G (not saying much) who got benched for half of the season.

If the players produced as poor under this staff as they did under Marrone, it obviously is them. But I'm predicting a better oline and it's nto because the players magically got better. It will be because of better coaching.

That's a fair point.

Yeah, I agree with this though by coaching I'm primarily thinking about the blocking scheme/offensive system. They drafted, big lineman who excelled at man blocking and tried to make them fit a zone blocking scheme.

I am a little worried about Roman's history of liking to pull his guards as we might have the worst pulling guards in the league. It was downright embarrassing last year. Hopefully Roman can do what Hacket couldnt - adjust the scheme to fit your players and still be successful.

Yeah, I agree with this though by coaching I'm primarily thinking about the blocking scheme/offensive system. They drafted, big lineman who excelled at man blocking and tried to make them fit a zone blocking scheme.

I am a little worried about Roman's history of liking to pull his guards as we might have the worst pulling guards in the league. It was downright embarrassing last year. Hopefully Roman can do what Hacket couldnt - adjust the scheme to fit your players and still be successful.

Great point and that sums up why I started to hate Marrone as a coach. Great coaches adjust to their players. Gailey wasn't a great coach nut he adjusted to his talent. His roster was just so much worse than Marrone's.

Players were complaining that Marrone would tell them 1 thing, their position coach would tell them another thing & then the Coordinator would tell them something completely different so they were confused most of the time. I'm predicting a much improved O-line this year.

Great point and that sums up why I started to hate Marrone as a coach. Great coaches adjust to their players. Gailey wasn't a great coach nut he adjusted to his talent. His roster was just so much worse than Marrone's.

When I think of Marrone's take on players I picture Mike Singletary's press conference saying he couldn't win with the guys Jim Harbaugh took to 3 straight NFC title games.