kgun vs current defense

Sorry that's crazy talk.

We are talking about an offense with multiple hall of fame players and in addition to those all time greats multiple pro bowlers.

The offense isn't as revolutionary now but with current rules would be able to make even more hay out of defenses.

This offense was the bedrock of four Super Bowl appearances in addition to multiple play off runs and at the time had a RB leading the league in total yards from scrimmage and one of the all time most successful QB to WR TD connections (since surpassed of course)

This offense was a major player in what remains the all time greatest playoff come back (I think.) with the backup QB at the controls.

The modern defense has a fair amount of talent and potential but is there a single hall of famer amongst them? It's been an integral part of a 9 win season at best.

Sure modern players are bigger stronger faster but that team would translate well into the modern game in terms of measurables. Pure talent and heart it's no comparison.

how would the kgun super bowl offense do against our current defense? perhaps it is the tequila talking. but i have kgun. your thoughts?

you know you're in for a questionable thread when the OP calls himself out for drinking. usually nobody questions the OP's sobriety until page 2 or 3....

Very hard to say. I will say this defense did pretty much shut down Rodgers & Manning who are better Qbs than Kelly.

The K Gun is one of the best offenses ever. But I think this defense is completey beastly.

Defenses are also bigger, faster, stronger and much more complicated these days.

Crazy talk. . . .any hall of farmers on this last years GB and Denver teams besides the QBs? Was the Manning or Rodgers we saw anywhere near as good as they have been over the last two years or even earlier last season? How has this defense done against Brady ?

Look I have a ton of hope for this years team, just like I have had on multiple occasions over the last twenty years but what has this D accomplished so far in terms of wins?

i wonder if i am taking the kgun over our current defense, is due to how famous the kgun team was. imo...the kgun o-line is 100% better than our current o-line. same that line from the kgun did got not enough props.

Hate to say it, but the defense, and it's not even close. The game has changed, so the current defense is stronger and faster than what the kgun faced... but also the kgun folded against strong defenses at times, so yeah, my money is on the current defense.

K-Gun,

It's all about execution. There were not a lot of plays, or trickery, only up tempo.

Levy used to say, if you execute, it does not even matter if the defense knows what your going to run, you will succeed.

I could see Darius wearing down by the fourth, not really too sure about the others though.

K-Gun,

It's all about execution. There were not a lot of plays, or trickery, only up tempo.

Levy used to say, if you execute, it does not even matter if the defense knows what your going to run, you will succeed.

I could see Darius wearing down by the fourth, not really too sure about the others though.

As was always the boon of the K gun though

Yes your up tempo.......but if your not getting first downs your also off the field on offense quick....and your own D gets tired.

If you run a K gun.....u better be putting up points

Really interesting topic. You'd have to put both offense and defense into a vacuum... Also we probably need to pick one glory year. We are using the current defense after all. The best years being 90 and 91 on offense. Which year was better by the way? In 91 they had to make up for a poorer defefensive. Neither offense preformed up to their capability in the Super Bowl.

The current defensive had fantastic year. If the offensive was semi competent, they could have been a number 1 unit. But, were they better than the 90 Giants or 91 Redskins? The 90 Giants had the better defense of those two. They held SF to 13 points in the NFC Championship game - 1 touchdown and 2 FGs. And they held Kelly to 0 TD passes in SBXXV and 17 points for the game.

Could the current defensive do what NYG did, and would the K-Gun shoot blanks against it? Easy decision: yes and no. The K-Gun would win at home in the regular season, and the 2015 defensive would win in Tampa in the Super Bowl. Oh wait...now I'm talking about a Bills defensive in the Super Bowl. Futile until proven otherwise.

Again you have a Giants D with two hall of fame coaches (one of which who is in the conversation for GOAT) and the greatest rush line backer in the history of the game. The guy who revolutionized the pass rush in general and his position in specific .

We have no one on the current team who is remotely in that conversation at this time.

That's a Bills offense which put up 51 or so points in an AFC championship game one of those first two years in snowy conditions. That wasn't done in that era.

Players are bigger and faster but not that much we aren't talking sixties players here steroids had made it to the NFL by then as did weight lifting supplements etc.

Edited by gjnoronh

It cannot be that the current defense hops in a time machine and travels back to play. Bigger faster stronger has to be neutralized.

The K-Gun couldn't do anything against the Redskins defense either. That was a good defense, but the weakest that the Bills played against in the SBs. If I had to put my money somewhere it would be that the K-Gun chokes. Don't forget, the kicker would have to be 11. There's no sense in having this make believe matchup unless it's in the biggest game - a Super Bowl.

Edited by Thrivefourfive

Really interesting topic. You'd have to put both offense and defense into a vacuum... Also we probably need to pick one glory year. We are using the current defense after all. The best years being 90 and 91 on offense. Which year was better by the way? In 91 they had to make up for a poorer defefensive. Neither offense preformed up to their capability in the Super Bowl.

The current defensive had fantastic year. If the offensive was semi competent, they could have been a number 1 unit. But, were they better than the 90 Giants or 91 Redskins? The 90 Giants had the better defense of those two. They held SF to 13 points in the NFC Championship game - 1 touchdown and 2 FGs. And they held Kelly to 0 TD passes in SBXXV and 17 points for the game.

Could the current defensive do what NYG did, and would the K-Gun shoot blanks against it? Easy decision: yes and no. The K-Gun would win at home in the regular season, and the 2015 defensive would win in Tampa in the Super Bowl. Oh wait...now I'm talking about a Bills defensive in the Super Bowl. Futile until proven otherwise.

The Giants D didn't stop us, unless you consider 17 points in 19 minutes of possession time being stopped.

What stopped us that day was a defense that resembled a sieve that couldn't tackle and a stubborn Jim Kelly who refused to take advantage or Belichick's gimmick defense by running it down their throats from the get go; they had no answer for our running game that day. Levy and Marchibroda should have stripped Kelly of playcalling in the first half as soon as they saw that defensive front.

GO BILLS!!!

K-Gun,

Look at the size and speed of dareus and Mario and Kyle and Hughes- it's just hard to match the athleticism with 1990 athletes at o line.

The Giants D didn't stop us, unless you consider 17 points in 19 minutes of possession time being stopped.

What stopped us that day was a defense that resembled a sieve that couldn't tackle and a stubborn Jim Kelly who refused to take advantage or Belichick's gimmick defense by running it down their throats from the get go; they had no answer for our running game that day. Levy and Marchibroda should have stripped Kelly of playcalling in the first half as soon as they saw that defensive front.

GO BILLS!!!

Thurman deserved MVP. Won't happen on the losing end, but it was there for the taking.