Marco Rubio's Hat in in the Ring

I suppose I could have tried to add a little more context. The part of the article that I was attempting to high light was the fact that his foe in the state legislature's wife began crying after Rubio's speech and Gelber conceding that he is a gifted speaker.

And he can win.

Rubio a gifted speaker? Well, I've missed that so far.

My money is still on Walker. Rubio will probably be high on the list of VP prospects I would think if he doesn't get the nomination, though

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My money is still on Walker. Rubio will probably be high on the list of VP prospects I would think if he doesn't get the nomination, though

There are two main problems with Rubio, one that it's a crowded field with quality candidates. And two, he looks even younger than he really is and I think that could hinder him.

In regards to being a gifted speaker, well, that's your opinion, but not shared with even most pols from both sides of the aisle.

For whatever reason labels are important to you guys. So be it. Not sure how old you are but do yourself a favor and do a little research on James Baker - a true "conservative". Look at the breadth of his accomplishments in tax reform, middle eastern and russian diplomacy. Look at the depth and width of how he did things and compare that to the puny thoughts of these GOP candidates - Rubio, Cruz, Huckabee.....these are small small men.

We need better.

There are two main problems with Rubio, one that it's a crowded field with quality candidates. And two, he looks even younger than he really is and I think that could hinder him.

In regards to being a gifted speaker, well, that's your opinion, but not shared with even most pols from both sides of the aisle.

Your first point is a real good one, he does look like a grown kid.

And the only thing I know about his speaking is that awful state of the union he gave with the water bottle

For whatever reason labels are important to you guys. So be it. Not sure how old you are but do yourself a favor and do a little research on James Baker - a true "conservative". Look at the breadth of his accomplishments in tax reform, middle eastern and russian diplomacy. Look at the depth and width of how he did things and compare that to the puny thoughts of these GOP candidates - Rubio, Cruz, Huckabee.....these are small small men.

We need better.

Now that we've established that your words carry no credibility, no one serious, cares what you have to say.

Agree to disagree. He's got no shot in '16, can't beat out Bush for the nomination and even if he did, he'd get slaughtered by Hillary.

ht_marco_rubio_thirsty_nt_130213_wblog.j

You think Hillary is a formidable candidate? She will be the weakest democratic nominee since Mondale.

Now that we've established that your words carry no credibility, no one serious, cares what you have to say.

You think Hillary is a formidable candidate? She will be the weakest democratic nominee since Mondale.

I don't want Hillary to win, nor do I want Bush. If forced to pick between the three I'd go with Rubio. That said, he can't win in '16. He's a punchline outside of Florida.

I don't want Hillary to win, nor do I want Bush. If forced to pick between the three I'd go with Rubio. That said, he can't win in '16. He's a punchline outside of Florida.

Again, most people disagree with you

You may want to read up a little more.

Anyone who has paid even the least bit of attention to Marco Rubio knows he is, scripted or unscripted, a very gifted speaker. He speaks with authority, passion, and confidence. Not unlike Obama before everyone realized he was only good on the scripted stuff, and an unmitigated train wreck when speaking extemporaneously.

The only people who would refute this are those who are told to refute it. Like you, for example.

IF i had to choose a Republican (which I won't, on principle) I'd probably choose Rand Paul, with a secondary nod to Rubio. I don't like that he's in bed with religious conservatives, however.

I think if the Republicans are going to move forward, they need to purge the social conservatives from the party.

Edited by joesixpack

IF i had to choose a Republican (which I won't, on principle) I'd probably choose Rand Paul, with a secondary nod to Rubio. I don't like that he's in bed with religious conservatives, however.

I think if the Republicans are going to move forward, they need to purge the social conservatives from the party.

And to me, this is Rubio's biggest problem. The only way he can win the nomination is to run to the left of Cruz (he can't win either) and to the right of Jeb. Paul will force Rubio more center than he probably wants to be, which will doom him in the primary.

Most people aren't paying attention yet. When the race starts in earnest, you will see. He can't win.

Will he win? I don't know, but can he win? Absolutely. He's the most gifted politician running

Try reading up even a little more, here, here here and here .

I get it, possibly you and others who probably formed their opinions on shallow misconceptions of the SOTU response with the water bottle and for whatever non researched reason believe he's not a viable candidate, that's fine. But when you begin to inject things that are outright untruths, then I will call you out on them.

Words matter, you can do better than that.

Don't become another Baskin

Edited by Magox

Will he win? I don't know, but can he win? Absolutely. He's the most gifted politician running

I get it, possibly you and others who probably formed their opinions on shallow misconceptions of the SOTU response with the water bottle and for whatever non researched reason believe he's not a viable candidate, that's fine. But when you begin to inject things that are outright untruths, then I will call you out on them.

We'll see soon enough.

I'd love to agree with this but she will have a ton of money behind her and a lot of support from women (except for the hard right ones) both of which will be a big assets in the swing states IMO.

Bill Clinton was adopted and dirt poor

Prolly not - maybe because he has sliced his platform down so narrowly he will never win a general election....

Ummm, ya, Bill Clinton also came from humble beginnings

The Clintons, along with the Bushes, are effectively American Royalty at the moment though. Hillary has benefited greatly from being a "Clinton".

Don't become another Baskin

Easy slick...I have listened to Rubio and I mentioned why I find him questionable and backed up my position by comparing to what i consider an exemplary politician.

You have not responded to either of these posts directly - but simply threw some labels and names around.

Your age is showing.

We'll see soon enough.

For the record, I do think Scott Walker will win the primary, unless he continues to flub much like he did about a month or so ago. I just see a very difficult path to the nomination for Rubio.

My argument is that he is the best suited to beat Hillary in a match up and that most people who are policy makers and people who actually follow this stuff know him to be a very substantive person.

Easy slick...I have listened to Rubio and I mentioned why I find him questionable and backed up my position by comparing to what i consider an exemplary politician.

You have not responded to either of these posts directly - but simply threw some labels and names around.

Your age is showing.

No, the only posts you made were false. You said he was against immigration reform, which is wholly untrue. And you made another untrue claim that is refuted by most people that he lacks substance.

You aren't to be taken seriously.

I'd love to agree with this but she will have a ton of money behind her and a lot of support from women (except for the hard right ones) both of which will be a big assets in the swing states IMO.

Let me rephrase what I said, Hillary will be the weakest Democratic politician nominee since Mondale. She comes across as very stiff and phony, yet the fact that she is a well-known politician and a female, will make her more formidable than she really should be.

For the record, I do think Scott Walker will win the primary, unless he continues to flub much like he did about a month or so ago. I just see a very difficult path to the nomination for Rubio.

My argument is that he is the best suited to beat Hillary in a match up and that most people who are policy makers and people who actually follow this stuff know him to be a very substantive person.

That's fine, and you may be right he could beat Hillary, I just doubt it. I'm by no means an expert on Rubio and don't mean that as a slam on the man himself, but his image. The people paying attention now have, by and large, already made up their minds who they're voting for -- because the people really paying attention now are the partisans on both sides of the aisle. Rubio's record as a social conservative is going to damn him when the rest of the country starts to pay attention to the candidates because he's going to have to run to the right of Jeb, and depending on how long the primary drags out, he'll have to do that for quite some time.

Hillary on the other hand, will glide to the nomination and won't face real competition until the republicans have already bloodied themselves red. If Rubio comes out of the primary as the winner, he'll be coming out with bruises.

That's fine, and you may be right he could beat Hillary, I just doubt it. I'm by no means an expert on Rubio and don't mean that as a slam on the man himself, but his image. The people paying attention now have, by and large, already made up their minds who they're voting for -- because the people really paying attention now are the partisans on both sides of the aisle. Rubio's record as a social conservative is going to damn him when the rest of the country starts to pay attention to the candidates because he's going to have to run to the right of Jeb, and depending on how long the primary drags out, he'll have to do that for quite some time.

Hillary on the other hand, will glide to the nomination and won't face real competition until the republicans have already bloodied themselves red. If Rubio comes out of the primary as the winner, he'll be coming out with bruises.

I don't necessarily buy that.

If you look at 2012 as a guide, the GOP contest was historically brutal. Yet a weak GOP candidate still came close to unseating a sitting POTUS. Hillary is far less likeable than Obama, and the GOP field is much stronger than in 2012.