How many years has Matt Cassel had a good team behind him?

Haley is an awful head coach. He's a decent OC. He was Cassel's HC in the year I was referring to. The Vikes being a better team with or without him had nothing to do with what I said. They weren't good.

I'd argue that getting Cassel to make a pro bowl is the sign of a very good coach. Big Ben had the best year of his career under Haley. Warner made the SB under Haley.

Haley is a much better coach than Cassel is a Qb. Cassel also had Norv Turner this year, who is one of the best OCs in the NFL.

You can't put lipstick on a pig. He is what he is.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd argue that getting Cassel to make a pro bowl is the sign of a very good coach. Big Ben had the best year of his career under Haley. Warner made the SB under Haley.

Haley is a much better coach than Cassel is a Qb. Cassel also had Norv Turner this year, who is one of the best OCs in the NFL.

You can't put lipstick on a pig. He is what he is.

Name one team he was on that had a lot of talent he didn't play well. I said you could argue 2009. So two of three years that he had any amount of talent he did well. Please respond to the thread and the question, not the same thing you have said 1000 times.

One could argue those teams weren't good because Matt Cassel was their qb.

Is this going to be Kyle Orton again where people try to pretend like he is something isn't? They are professional Qbs who get passed around the NFL. They are good backups and bad starters.

If Cassel becomes the starter (awful but could happen), he will play decent one game and people while talk contract extension. Then he will throw 4 ints against NE like he did last year.

He's great as a backup. But after 10 years, to expect anything more, is setting yourself up for failure.

P.S. Haley looked great with Big Ben this year and Kurt Warner in the past.

Matt cassell was not the problem in KC. I live here and lived through him being QB for the Chiefs. He is a nfl starting QB. His O-line was never great around him and besides Jamaal Charles,thomas jones, Dexter Mccluster and Dwayne Bowe he did not have a ton on the offensive side. In reality he did really well with a good TE named Tony Moeaki in 2010. The Chiefs were dysfunctional... Haley was not happy here and Pioli tried creating the NE environment here.

Name one team he was on that had a lot of talent he didn't play well. I said you could argue 2009. So two of three years that he had any amount of talent he did well. Please respond to the thread and the question, not the same thing you have said 1000 times.

I'll bow out because you obviously don't want an opposing position. I think Haley did a great job with Cassel as he has done with every other qb he has had. And he played decent on one of the greatest teams ever (and led them to 5 more losses than the previous year).

Enjoy your Friday and pretending Matt Cassel isn't any different than Kyle Orton.

I'll bow out because you obviously don't want an opposing position. I think Haley did a great job with Cassel as he has done with every other qb he has had. And he played decent on one of the greatest teams ever (and led them to 5 more losses than the previous year).

Enjoy your Friday and pretending Matt Cassel isn't any different than Kyle Orton.

All those posts, and not a single answer.

well he is not "much " different. he is a vet placeholder. not the answer.

i am betting on EJ anyways. so this is all a muted point. and Orton woulda coulda if Marrone wasnt insane in the membrane. but even Orton saw that he was a nut bucket and tried to save himself. Cassel under Roman is 10x better than Orton under Maroone

When I did a NFL Game rewind e v a l on him I came away thinking two things

- He wasnt gong to carry a team

but

- You could tell he was a NFL QB......he moved around well in the pocket....didnt panic under pressure......you could see his brain working as the ball was snapped........he knew what he was doing.

I view him more as a caretaker......

If he starts...it means EJ is not the answer.....and we will be looking to the draft the following year with our 1st round pick

Great take. I think it's very fair.

2 out of 3 is nice but at 33 you can't deny there's a bit of a reason to be skeptical.

I think this team could get to the playoffs with Cassel, but not past wildcard round

Once you get there it's a little dumb luck... Could we beat a top 5 AFC team? Definitely. Could we beat 3 in a row on the road? Probably not.

Great take. I think it's very fair.

2 out of 3 is nice but at 33 you can't deny there's a bit of a reason to be skeptical.

I don't expect it, but that's not the point. It's possible that he could be very adequate, not crappy like he looks like some times. Not crappy will win us a lot of games.

Once you get there it's a little dumb luck... Could we beat a top 5 AFC team? Definitely. Could we beat 3 in a row on the road? Probably not.

and you know we will finish about like this with the last four weeks in one order or another

@phili

@Miami

Jets

@NE

Yeah very true. It's similar to both Giants wins. A good defense + competent offense.. squeak victory.

That said, odds are not in your favor.

Edited by rafter

Is this going to be Kyle Orton again where people try to pretend like he is something isn't? They are professional Qbs who get passed around the NFL. They are good backups and bad starters.

If Cassel becomes the starter (awful but could happen), he will play decent one game and people while talk contract extension. Then he will throw 4 ints against NE like he did last year.

He's great as a backup. But after 10 years, to expect anything more, is setting yourself up for failure.

Awesome take 100% dead on!

He has one year left ,my hopeful Cassel for QB not EJ wishers. He has as much a shot to unseat EJ as Tyrod Taylor . If I came to you with the premise, a reasonable assumption mind you that EJ played under a bad coach and first year OC who was garbage the lot of you ,not all mind you , this wouldn't fly because of the lack of faith in EJ. I get it ........But when you , in the same breath , try to make excuses for Orton and now Cassel it renders your point about EJ moot. You are saying to me that You can accept 7-10 yrs of substandard play even when you have the tape to prove it... Cassel the last three years was mediocre with his best years coming after leaving NE running the exact offense when his OC became head coach in KC.

He has been a shell since he has changed systems. Some would like to give his injury history a mulligan yet want to point out that EJ is injury prone in the same sentence after a year....that's incredible. To me he is nothing more than Fitz as long as he is running his NE offense , oh by the way he has to learn GREG ROMAN offense . I m sorry guys we know what we have in him , The football people know we have NOTHING in Cassell according to several GM's Bill Polian included a real football GM. Listen to NFL Network on Sirus XM radio channel 88. Football talk all the time is so refreshing especially when they explain in great detail why they feel someone will not work.

They are not like Joe B of WGR a HOCKEY STATION mind you , what credibility does anyone on that station have on judging FOOTBALL TALENT ? Answer NONE

JOE B thinks there is 55% chance Cassel will start . Really !!!!! what person in the BILLS organization , hockey boy , gave you that percentage... ANSWER AGAIN NONE

I for one understand the blind hatred for EJ . He reminds me of PJ Losman but I finally get to judge him with real NFL coaching who don't hold mindless grudges for the first time in his career.I get to see him with an OC who went to the NFC CHAMPIONSHIP & SUPER BOWL running his offense for 4 of his 5 years I am sorry Cassel lovers , they are not trying to extend his one year contract he is here for injury protection nothing else.

The real battle is between Rex's favorite T.T. who was given a 3 yr. contract; a person who could have gone the Cassel route, He refused to sign for more money and be in the same offense (4yrs) with his OC now HC GARY KUBIAK in DENVER to stay and battle it out with EJ........ The question we all should be asking ourselves is would you turn down more money to play in the exact same offense to play in Denver or go to Buffalo when everything is new . What did Whaley , Roman and Rex promise him for him to make that decision ? NOW THAT'S INTERESTING

Edited by liverpoolkev

Cassel can be adequate under the right conditions, i.e., where he has a decent running game and is not forced to sidestep pressure up the middle. I understand the premise of the thread but I have a hard time believing that so many teams would have passed on him and let him go if he truly was a serviceable NFL QB.