How many years has Matt Cassel had a good team behind him?

As a starter, if you look at the rosters and statistics and coaching, he has had two, and maybe three. The year with the Pats and and the Pro Bowl year with the Chiefs. I will add the 2009 year with the Chiefs, as they had some good players on offense. But their defense was terrible, and Todd Haley was their coach. Even if you count that year, when he has had decent team around him he has played well.

He's never had weapons close to what he has this year.

Please tell me what years he played with good players and didn't play well.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One could argue those teams weren't good because Matt Cassel was their qb.

Is this going to be Kyle Orton again where people try to pretend like he is something isn't? They are professional Qbs who get passed around the NFL. They are good backups and bad starters.

If Cassel becomes the starter (awful but could happen), he will play decent one game and people while talk contract extension. Then he will throw 4 ints against NE like he did last year.

He's great as a backup. But after 10 years, to expect anything more, is setting yourself up for failure.

P.S. Haley looked great with Big Ben this year and Kurt Warner in the past.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

When I did a NFL Game rewind e v a l on him I came away thinking two things

- He wasnt gong to carry a team

but

- You could tell he was a NFL QB......he moved around well in the pocket....didnt panic under pressure......you could see his brain working as the ball was snapped........he knew what he was doing.

Is this going to be Kyle Orton again where people try to pretend like he is something isn't? They are professional Qbs who get passed around the NFL. They are good backups and bad starters.

If Cassel becomes the starter (awful but could happen), he will play decent one game and people while talk contract extension. Then he will throw 4 ints against NE like he did last year.

He's great as a backup. But after 10 years, to expect anything more, is setting yourself up for failure.

P.S. Haley looked great with Big Ben this year and Kurt Warner in the past.

I view him more as a caretaker......

If he starts...it means EJ is not the answer.....and we will be looking to the draft the following year with our 1st round pick

but

- You could tell he was a NFL QB......he moved around well in the pocket....didnt panic under pressure......you could see his brain working as the ball was snapped........he knew what he was doing.

You didn't watch the Pats game last year did you?

Not they aren't laughing at us already, but The Pats will be dying of laughter if Cassel is our starter.

but

I view him more as a caretaker......

If he starts...it means EJ is not the answer.....and we will be looking to the draft the following year with our 1st round pick

And if EJ can't beat him out, he isn't long for the NFL. You are so limited with Cassel.

As a starter, if you look at the rosters and statistics and coaching, he has had two, and maybe three. The year with the Pats and and the Pro Bowl year with the Chiefs. I will add the 2009 year with the Chiefs, as they had some good players on offense. But their defense was terrible, and Todd Haley was their coach. Even if you count that year, when he has had decent team around him he has played well.

He's never had weapons close to what he has this year.

Please tell me what years he played with good players and didn't play well.

Todd Haley does stink.

You didn't watch the Pats game last year did you?

Not they aren't laughing at us already, but The Pats will be dying of laughter if Cassel is our starter.

Wow.....did you see Green Bay game against us last year?

They should bench that QB

And if EJ can't beat him out, he isn't long for the NFL. You are so limited with Cassel.

There was another extremely limited QB that our OC has worked with.....many thought he was a bust

He turned out ok

Wow.....did you see Green Bay game against us last year?

They should bench that QB

There was another extremely limited QB that our OC has worked with.....many thought he was a bust

He turned out ok

Come on John. If Cassel had Rodgers career, you overlook that game. But he's had a lot of bad games. It's why he is Matt Cassel.

He had a good year 5 years ago. If Cassel is the answer, you've got the wrong question.

I think there is a strong chance we split with them this year.......

I want to see what our OL looks like before I get behind it 100 percent

In his only start against the Pats, EJ left the field with the lead. In his last start against the Pats, Cassel threw 4 ints. :)

No. You can't. That's the thesis of the thread. Every player on the team except Cassel. Look at the rosters of the teams, and their defenses and their coaches. He was not on good teams. The only two times he was he did well. That doesn't mean he is going to be great, or good. The point is he has rarely played on talented teams.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

No. You can't. That's the thesis of the thread. Every player on the team except Cassel. Look at the rosters of the teams, and their defenses and their coaches. He was not on good teams. The only two times he was he did well. That doesn't mean he is going to be great, or good. The point is he has rarely played on talented teams.

1) Haley isn't as bad as coach as you want him to be. He's done great jobs with several teams

2) the Vikes were a better team after he got injured

So basically if Cassel inherits a 16-0 team, he can get us close to the playoffs. Awesome. :)

Which is why I think TT is going to get an even opportunity to lead this team.

I don't get the Taylor hype. He is a smaller less talented EJ IMO. But I'd rather him start than Cassel. Cassel is so uninspiring.

1) Haley isn't as bad as coach as you want him to be. He's done great jobs with several teams

2) the Vikes were a better team after he got injured

So basically if Cassel inherits a 16-0 team, he can get us close to the playoffs. Awesome. :)

Haley is an awful head coach. He's a decent OC. He was Cassel's HC in the year I was referring to. The Vikes being a better team with or without him had nothing to do with what I said. They weren't good.