Rand Paul's Hat is in the ring!

One of the few things I respect Colin Powell for was his statement that "if you break it, you fix it". Winning all the battles is not necessarily winning the war. We found that out in Vietnam. In World War II we did not leave a vacuum like we did in most wars since. The Marshall Plan and the reconstruction of Japan both physically and with a new form of government that they embraced was reasoned government on our part. Devastating our foes and then leaving them vulnerable to even worse foes is/was phucking idiotic. Anyone remember how the circumstances were in the Middle East in 2008 as compared to today? What changed?

What changed? You are comparing Germany and Japan in 1945 to Iraq in 2008, that's ridiculous

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What changed? You are comparing Germany and Japan in 1945 to Iraq in 2008, that's ridiculous

And believe me...no one knows ridiculous like the nutsucker who thinks the problem with the world is that the federal government isn't doing enough to ensure everyone has an equal share of love and dignity.

I believe the larger point stands. It is quite possible if the US had invested another 15 more years and hundreds of billions of dollars that Iraq could have been stable partner and ally in the region.

But of course, we know that isn't realistic. Politics and the American electorate would have never allowed it.

I believe the larger point stands. It is quite possible if the US had invested another 15 more years and hundreds of billions of dollars that Iraq could have been stable partner and ally in the region.

But of course, we know that isn't realistic. Politics and the American electorate would have never allowed it.

It's also possible, even more likely, it wouldn't have worked. Forget about the American electorate, the Iraqi electorate wanted us out and voted that way

It's also possible, even more likely, it wouldn't have worked. Forget about the American electorate, the Iraqi electorate wanted us out and voted that way

Maybe, maybe not. 2008 things were pretty stable; You'd be surprised what a large peace keeping contingency and financial aid can deliver. The point is that there are parallels that you can draw between the two. It is impossible to say whether or not it would have succeeded in the long-term. However, we can confidently say that in other areas that we engaged and followed through on nation building, that it has worked. It's just a matter of human and financial capital commitment.

Maybe, maybe not. 2008 things were pretty stable; You'd be surprised what a large peace keeping contingency and financial aid can deliver. The point is that there are parallels that you can draw between the two. It is impossible to say whether or not it would have succeeded in the long-term. However, we can confidently say that in other areas that we engaged and followed through on nation building, that it has worked. It's just a matter of human and financial capital commitment.

It is impossible, but the fact the Iraqis wanted us out says a lot, and 2008 was only relatively stable, compared to 2005. American soldiers were still being killed, and the stability was achieved in many ways by giving power to the crazy Shiites to oppress the Sunnis. And there are examples where our efforts have not worked or won over the people. Vietnam, Cuba, the Phillippines and a few other places. And Afganistann isn't exactly looking too god either.

• 3 weeks later...

"But despite my color, gender, economic standing, sexual preference or any other imaginable category, I refuse to let the world define me by of what they see on the outside. That’s something progressives always insist on doing."

"Black Americans were once told we could not sit at the front of the bus or drink from whites only water fountains. Today we are often told that we do not possess the freedom of thought."

"Black Americans were once told we could not sit at the front of the bus or drink from whites only water fountains. Today we are often told that we do not possess the freedom of thought."

That was the line that stood out to me, as well.

Quite possibly one of the most embarrassing things we see from progressives on a regular basis is the absolute venom bitten into any black person who does not fall in line with the progressive way of thinking.

It's enough to make a thinking person never vote for the left again. Which is precisely what the left prefers.