Eichel vs McDavid

McEichel  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win more championships?

2. 2. Who will be the better player in the NHL?

3. 3. Who do you want to play for the Sabres?

I honestly don't know much about Hockey and it's prospects but with all this attention on these two players actually made me more interested in the sport.

After doing some digging it seems that McDavid is the clear favorite but this quote about Eichel makes me think he could have the better career.

"It is beyond question at this point that Eichel is the best freshman college hockey player since Kariya in 1992-93. McDavid is still the biggest fish of this draft, but what Eichel is doing against older, stronger and more experienced opponents is extremely special. He could impact his future team in a way very similar to his draft counterpart McDavid."

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/25108492/nhl-draft-connor-mcdavid-jack-eichel-march-update

Now that we are getting Eichel and he is being accepted by the community as our guy, who would you rather have?

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Older players in ncaa... but the chl has a much higher talent level. The chl also is a real grind of a season with 68 games, 4 full rounds of playoffs potentially, and possibly the memorial cup. That prepares players to be a pro.

Just look at the local niagara ice dogs. They have 2 1st rounders from 2014 (ho sang and perlini), and 2 potential late 1st/2nd rounders this year (Knott and dunn). Also have a few other serious prospects including leafs' carter verheague.

Edited by May Day 10

Older players in ncaa... but the chl has a much higher talent level. The chl also is a real grind of a season with 68 games, 4 full rounds of playoffs potentially, and possibly the memorial cup. That prepares players to be a pro.

Just look at the local niagara ice dogs. They have 2 1st rounders from 2014 (ho sang and perlini), and 2 potential late 1st/2nd rounders this year (Knott and dunn). Also have a few other serious prospects including leafs' carter verheague.

maybe we grab one of them with a our second first rounder.

I'm thinking more likely the 2ND second rounder.

Who do you think we should take with our second first? (explain why they are good)

I can't help feeling that either one of them is going to have a career-ending injury within 18 months of being drafted by the Sabres.

I can't help feeling that we are going to become Montreal of old :wub: :wub: :wub:

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

The age thing is definitely overplayed when these conversations come up. Most of the time it means very little, but it is kind of interesting here since the NCAA essentially never sees a freshman at this level. To watch this kid who is the 4th youngest player in all of D1 (I can't verify that stat, but I've heard is stated several times) and to see the way he takes over games, you can't help but wonder how much better he can get.

The real appeal for him I think will be that he has taken what was a truly awful BU team last year and turned them into one of the top 4 in the country. He makes the people around him better. The team's second leading scorer had 60 points total over his first 3 seasons. This year he has 61 points. That's the Eichel effect. Hopefully whoever we get can have that same kind of impact.

I didn't know BU was terrible last year. That's super impressive.

10 wins all year. They brought in a very strong class, so it's not all him, but he's a huge part of it.

The age thing is definitely overplayed when these conversations come up. Most of the time it means very little, but it is kind of interesting here since the NCAA essentially never sees a freshman at this level. To watch this kid who is the 4th youngest player in all of D1 (I can't verify that stat, but I've heard is stated several times) and to see the way he takes over games, you can't help but wonder how much better he can get.

The real appeal for him I think will be that he has taken what was a truly awful BU team last year and turned them into one of the top 4 in the country. He makes the people around him better. The team's second leading scorer had 60 points total over his first 3 seasons. This year he has 61 points. That's the Eichel effect. Hopefully whoever we get can have that same kind of impact.

I have no doubt.

The dark cloud over Buffalo Sports is lifting beginning with the Pegulas and will culminate in multiple championships.

No doubt Eichel is very very good and worth all the worry we have gone through this season to ensure #1 or #2. My boosting of McDavid sometimes make it look like I'm discounting Eichel, that isnt my intent. Eichel would be #1 overall most recent years, probably like 9 times in the past 16 years (Stamkos, Tavares, Nash, Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Crosby, Kane).

I have been following CHL/Junior hockey, going to and watching games for almost 25 years and I have never seen anything like McDavid. With that said, I wasnt able to watch much QMJHL back in the day and didnt watch Crosby in Junior. McDavid's potential has me geeked out thinking that he could potentially be on the Sabres. People are talking on a level with Howe, Orr, Gretzky, Lemieux.