(OT) State of Buffalo, Erie Co, WNY

I don't know how many of you out-of-towners read the Buffalo News on their web site. I try to read it every day just to keep up on the local "stuff" even though I do not live their anymore (currently in Columbus OH). I am having a hard time comprehending the problems that that area is having financially. The City of Buffalo is working under a financial control board. Erie county is under extreme financial pressure. In general, the entire WNY area is bleeding from an open chest wound. One of my best friends in high school mentioned this past summer that if it were not for his kids in middle / high school he would have moved out of the area.

Is the problems that this area is having a result of the big fat lazy brother down south, NYC? Too much "politics" in the government? What drives companies to stay in the area, let alone try to expand. If this area doesn't turn things around pretty durn quick, I could see a major financial implosion which could result in the loss of the Bills and Sabres.

Yes, there have been different things proposed to "jump start" the economy. Develop the waterfront, expand the Peace Bridge, build office space. But, in my opinion you've got to have demand to create supply. I can't see it the other way around. Heck, they can't even agree to what the Peace Bridge should look like or where is should go. And that has been going on for years. Yet, the Canadian side has all the infrastructure ready to go when "something" is built.

In general, it breaks my heart to see an area that I grew up in and still have deep feelings for just die a slow and painful death.

I know that this is not football related and may be moved, but I thought that I would throw this out here for comments.

They are never going to spur development in NYS until they significantly cut down on regulation and tax burden.  No company in their right mind is going to put themselves in such risk for so little perceived reward.

232421[/snapback]

Why are the taxes so high in NYS? Who is running things up there? Which political party, etc? And can it be changed?

I have a proposal for the great politicians and big thinkers of Erie County.

If they start right now - I mean this year - after a few hundred studies and millions of tax dollars- just maybe they can have a plan in place to promote Buffalo as a tourist attraction by the year 28,000 A.D., when the ledge of Niagara Falls should be receded to somewhere near the Peace Bridge. This should coincide with the time frame of construction of the new Peace Bridge prefectly. Maybe put an observation deck with a 360 degree revolving wing and weck joint cantalevered from the bridge.

The kicker in all of this is somehow they'll have to get the Robert Moses Power Plants to open up the cascade to let the maximum amount go over the falls, otherwise the erosive effect could take 4 times as long.

WE CAN'T WAIT THAT LONG!!!! JESUS!!

All kidding aside -

You can blame the politicians until hell freezes over, but the reality of it is that they are elected officials. Until the fine citizens and constituency of WNY make their voices heard and make changes through their votes, it will continue to spiral out of control. I would love to live in Buffalo again, but the lethal combination of low wages and high taxes makes the decision easy. I still love to visit there.

Unfortunely, there are too many small thinking Chicken Littles living in WNY who are tools of unions, government, and social programs living in the area. Anyone with any ability and motivation has already left. Family is probably one of the biggest reasons young people stay. If not for that, god knows what kind of ghost town Buffalo would be. WNY has a large temporary population matriculating through the local colleges and universities, but there's little incentive for them to stay in the area after graduation. More missed opportunity by the decisions makers of WNY.

I can do a lot with the money I'm saving by not paying extraordinary taxes in NYS. Imagine for instance saving a mere $300 (conservative figure) a month in an IRA or other interest bearing investment over 40 years at a conservative 7% annual rate. That's a nice little retirement nest egg. With inflation accounted for, it wouldn't be that hard to convert those savings into over $500,000 in today's money in the 40 years until retirement.

I don't see any end in sight to their troubles. The same crap has been going on for 30 years or more. I left almost 20 years ago because of a failing economy. If anything, it's only gotten worse in that time. I guess they still believe they can revive the steel industry. Keep trying.

Why are the taxes so high in NYS?  Who is running things up there?  Which political party, etc?  And can it be changed?

232479[/snapback]

Taxes are high because of waste, corruption, and overly-abused social programs that keep tugging on the heartstrings of the bleeding heart liberals of NYS.

Add to that, the inability to change with the times.

To illustrate the mentality - a large portion of WNYers still cling to their Bell Telephone Systems dial wall-mount kitchen phones. The progressive thinkers have gotten the decorator avacado-colored ones! Too much of Buffalo is stuck in some kind of wierd post WWII time warp. The lone exception might be he kids bornin the late 50's and 60's. They're stuck in the 70's. The girls have the Farrah Fawcett wing cut hair styles and the guys still can't get enough of Rush and Aerosmith. I'll bet they thought they were really ahead of the curve when bellbottoms and wide leather studded watch bands started coming back!

I have a proposal for the great politicians and big thinkers of Erie County.

Family is probably one of the biggest reasons young people stay. If not for that, god knows what kind of ghost town Buffalo would be.

I guess they still believe they can revive the steel industry. Keep trying.

232500[/snapback]

Dead on! (pun intended) Were it not for family and the pro sports teams, I doubt I'd ever return.

The fact that there is NO INFORMATION ON BUFFALO in the tourism section of the Clarence rest stop on the I-90 outside of Buffalo kills me.

I was in there before the Steelers game and the tourism section was PACKED...and all they had was info on Niagara Falls!

They are never going to spur development in NYS until they significantly cut down on regulation and tax burden.  No company in their right mind is going to put themselves in such risk for so little perceived reward.

232421[/snapback]

You must be right, because I find WNY to be a delightful place. I have been there 11 straight years and am still amazed at how friendly the people are.

Williamsville and Amherst, although suburbs of a big city, have a real small town America feel to me.

Truthfully, If my wife would do so, I would be willing to sell the house and move up there. Admittedly, it would be easy for me to do so because I could go and have a job and a pension, but that is how much I like the reigon.

You must be right, because I find WNY to be a delightful place. I have been there 11 straight years and am still amazed at how friendly the people are.

Williamsville and Amherst, although suburbs of a big city, have a real small town America feel to me.

Truthfully, If my wife would do so, I would be willing to sell the house and move up there. Admittedly, it would be easy for me to do so because I could go and have a job and a pension, but that is how much I like the reigon.

232614[/snapback]

I'd move back in a minute if the political climate changed. They've created a welfare state and the residents keep voting these retards back in election after election. It's VERY frustrating to see the same perpetual cycle.

You know something is wrong when the county is employing more people than the private sector. (that's the local joke going around)

On the radio today they were talking about how the population of Erie Country has shrunk over the past few decades. However, the police force (and other agencies) have never contracted in size. Now you have the situation where its political suicide to correct the situation.

I'd move back in a minute if the political climate changed.  They've created a welfare state and the residents keep voting these retards back in election after election.  It's VERY frustrating to see the same perpetual cycle.

232675[/snapback]

Of course they do. Get the people on welfare, and they'll keep voting you in...because if they vote you out, the welfare dries up and they're out on the street with no one to take care of them.

And for those who don't believe me - why has Social Security reform always been the "third rail" of US politics? :doh:

You know something is wrong when the county is employing more people than the private sector. (that's the local joke going around)

On the radio today they were talking about how the population of Erie Country has shrunk over the past few decades.  However, the police force (and other agencies) have never contracted in size.  Now you have the situation where its political suicide to correct the situation.

232798[/snapback]

looks like French politics!! with about half the population working for the state or in the public sector you just can not change anything! as soon as someone dare to talk about reforms half the country goes on strike.!