But...my daughter is so special!

It all depends. Does the employee need the employer more or does the employer need the employee more. The employer will pay for "attendance" if they are desperate enough. Nothing is set in stone. Hasn't it always been like that? I don't really think it is a generational thing. People (both employers and employees) sense the leverage they have.

There should be no employer desperate enough to reward an employee for just showing up. That reward is commonly referred to as...........a paycheck.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There should be no employer desperate enough to reward an employee for just showing up. That reward is commonly referred to as...........a paycheck.

No employee at all? What if the worker is so skilled you can't find anyone to replace her?

Or a government contract.

That person doesn't exist.

"The graveyards are full of indispensable men."

Incentives are good. Sure straight up attendance incentive may be a little too much... But I will take something like my 2,000+ hours in sick leave accumulated through the years as "insurance" and an "attendance award" in case of bad luck/calamity. Such policy/practice has been going on for years/generations. Incentives, pensions, leave, etc... have been watered down through in recent years and maybe rightly so. On the face it seems silly asking about an "attendance award." Really? What other "perks" are offered as incentives? If it isn't much, is it really so bad then? Put everything into perspective. Some just simply want to make everything a generational negative. Look @ things from a positive POV. There are a lot less strings attached w/employment now than in the past (pensions, etc...). What will replace perks and incentives. Why is it so unreasonable to just pay somebody now and be done with it. It's the road we go down, deal with the consequences and make it positive, not negative.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Incentives are good. Sure straight up attendance incentive may be a little too much... But I will take something like my 2,000+ hours in sick leave accumulated through the years as "insurance" and an "attendance award" in case of bad luck/calamity. Such policy/practice has been going on for years/generations. Incentives, pensions, leave, etc... have been watered down through in recent years and maybe rightly so. On the face it seems silly asking about an "attendance award." Really? What other "perks" are offered as incentives? If it isn't much, is it really so bad then? Put everything into perspective. Some just simply want to make everything a generational negative. Look @ things from a positive POV. There are a lot less strings attached w/employment now than in the past (pensions, etc...). What will replace perks and incentives. Why is it so unreasonable to just pay somebody now and be done with it. It's the road we go down, deal with the consequences and make it positive, not negative.

You have 35 weeks of sick leave?? What the !@#$ is that? That is one of the issues I have with my tax dollars being wasted. That's bullcrap. While the rest of us have to pay for a disability policy I'm yours?

Edited by Chef Jim

You have 35 weeks of sick leave?? What the !@#$ is that? That is one of the issues I have with my tax dollars being wasted. That bullcrap. While the rest of us have to pay for a disability policy I'm yours?

You can find Liberals at the source of many ills.

You have 35 weeks of sick leave?? What the !@#$ is that? That is one of the issues I have with my tax dollars being wasted. That bullcrap. While the rest of us have to pay for a disability policy I'm yours?

You do the math. I work 80 hours a pay period. A pay period is two weeks. You get 4 hours every two weeks sick leave. That never changes since day one and you can keep on accumulating. I have almost 25 years in. 26 pay periods in a year is 2080 hours. I am only sick a couple days a year IFF that.

Now annual leave is 0-3 years, 4 hours a pay period. 3-15 years, 6 hours a pay period, 15+ years, 8 hours a pay period. Max leave year is 240. You can't carry anymore the 240 into the next year or lose it.

I am certainly not working for the chump change, I am working for the benny's. Again, an operating engineer, private sector/NON-Union would get paid more up front per hour. Yes, they can then carry their own disability policy. Now, my pension... That's funded out of my pay @ 1.5%. TSP and SS is an important part of retirement. TSP (401k) I kick in almost 20%, matched first 4%. SS, the same as everybody else. My healtcare, I cover 40%. Between the gov't and I, we were shelling out almost 20k to Humana 10 years ago. That has since been cut in almost half. No "Cadillac Policy" there.

Did I mention my wife works and forgoes taking healthcare from her employer?

Oh... If I get hurt... I would be pushed to the desk and "light duty."

No employee at all? What if the worker is so skilled you can't find anyone to replace her?

Where do you even come up with this stupidity? No successful business owner or manager is stupid enough to have on staff an irreplaceable employee.

You do the math. I work 80 hours a pay period. A pay period is two weeks. You get 4 hours every two weeks sick leave. That never changes since day one and you can keep on accumulating. I have almost 25 years in. 26 pay periods in a year is 2080 hours. I am only sick a couple days a year IFF that.

Now annual leave is 0-3 years, 4 hours a pay period. 3-15 years, 6 hours a pay period, 15+ years, 8 hours a pay period. Max leave year is 240. You can't carry anymore the 240 into the next year or lose it.

I am certainly not working for the chump change, I am working for the benny's. Again, an operating engineer, private sector/NON-Union would get paid more up front per hour. Yes, they can then carry their own disability policy. Now, my pension... That's funded out of my pay @ 1.5%. TSP and SS is an important part of retirement. TSP (401k) I kick in almost 20%, matched first 4%. SS, the same as everybody else. My healtcare, I cover 40%. Between the gov't and I, we were shelling out almost 20k to Humana 10 years ago. That has since been cut in almost half. No "Cadillac Policy" there.

Did I mention my wife works and forgoes taking healthcare from her employer?

Oh... If I get hurt... I would be pushed to the desk and "light duty."

I don't care what the math is. Any private sector job/career caps the sick pay. Yeah, yeah, yeah we've heard your health insurance sob story before.

Oh and you're welcome.

Where do you even come up with this stupidity? No successful business owner or manager is stupid enough to have on staff an irreplaceable employee.

Or worse yet one that is so irreplaceable you pay them a bonus just to show up because if you don't they just might quit. :o No you pay them bonuses because they are the best at what they do and without them you'd likely not make as much money so the deserve a bonus. But of course gator won't get the difference.

Or worse yet one that is so irreplaceable you pay them a bonus just to show up because if you don't they just might quit. :o

If you have to pay someone extra money to show up because without them you go out of buisiness, that's not called a bonus. It's called a ransom.

If you have to pay someone extra money to show up because without them you go out of buisiness, that's not called a bonus. It's called a ransom.

If someone was that good at what they did and you paid them a bonus just for showing up I'd not be surprised if you insulted them right out the door.

Did I mention that we are one of the few things in the gov't that is "right side" up... 12 others and I stimulate 10 million dollars A MONTH into the local and national economy... Defense of the nation too. The place was only built for 6 million 55 years ago and in those years we've have not even scratched 50 million in overhead... Okay... Maybe 60 million.

That's some bang for your buck, even given my days off.

10 million a month in business for the nation.

Did I mention that we are one of the few things in the gov't that is "right side" up... 12 others and I stimulate 10 million dollars A MONTH into the local and national economy... Defense of the nation too. The place was only built for 6 million 55 years ago and in those years we've have not even scratched 50 million in overhead... Okay... Maybe 60 million.

That's some bang for your buck, even given my days off.

10 million a month in business for the nation.

Ah, the toll collector is taking credit for the cars that pass by. Think about this: Easy Pass is even more efficient.

The parenting problem arises from personal insecurity. Studies I've read/heard about show that the real reason parents yell at kids(and some are downright nuts), has nothing to do with their kid(s). Rather, the parent sees the kid's poor performance as a reflection upon them as a parent...in front of the other parents. So yeah, this is usually a mental defect.

Once again, the standard defect: "I don't want to accept the personal consequences, of my choice, to do nothing to help my child improve" is the root cause of yet another problem.

But rather than addressing the problem or its root cause head on? We take away the chance for any parent to look bad in front of any other by:

1. Removing competition. We fabricate something that sounds smart as the reason: "Collaboration over Competition". And, thus the average parents feel(of course instead of think) that not only are they doing the right thing, they are doing the smart right thing. Now its even more appealing: not only do they get to avoid facing the root cause, and addressing THEIR problems, they also get to feel smart about doing it! :rolleyes:

2. Handing out trophies to everyone. Same old story here: One Size Fits All. Or, "All peole aren't just created equal, they are entitled to equal outcomes". The more you stabilize the outcome, the more you obfuscate the root cause. Thus, rather than a parent spending time with their kid working on the things that need work, no matter what it is, they aren't accountable for anything. They know all the kids are entitled to the same outcome, so it doesn't matter how they get there.

Once again, we are talking about parenting FAIL here, but, we are also talking about yet another situation in which the conditions for parenting FAIL, have been created by the social "experts".

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Ah, the toll collector is taking credit for the cars that pass by. Think about this: Easy Pass is even more efficient.

Once in a while you gotta toot your own horn. :-P

Once again, you show your simplton side. There is simply too much of value on the line to listen to your dumbazz comments. Of course, you are probably joking... But if you are not:

Not on the water. Too many missions. Also taking credit for millions of lives and billions of dollars in property protection, safe drinking water, etc...

It simply will never be able to play out safely w/what you spew, especially after 911. We already run the bare minimum skeleton crew... Have for the last 55 years. You will always need @ least ONE boot on the ground... That's me and a very few others. Now, even though over a decade ago they ran the Mel Price lock (Upper MS, north of St.Louis) remotely for a test, there is just too much @ stake, lives @ risk, property in harms way to implement, not to mention national defense. It is simply not worth the risk, return value to the nation is just so lopsided like I mentioned in my post above. You are talking pennies vs. billions in return.

Does the words: "Inherently gov't" ring a bell? And the best part? It is all Constitutionally mandated going back over 225 years. No tolls needed going back to the very first act of Congress: Reaffirmation of The Northwest Ordinance from the Articles of Confederation. "Common highways forever free." "Free from tolls...." And one of the best parts: "And the carrying points too..." Maybe you can pray that Obama turns the USC on its head and over turns 225 years of precedent. Heck, just throw the whole Commerce Clause out the window too. You almost sound like a liberal.

Hey give credit where credit is due. While you sleep, people like me are making your lives safe. Deal w/it. Oh... And put away the toll money, it's free for all! You know why it is free? Because your Founding Fathers said it should be free.

:-)

Once in a while you gotta toot your own horn. :-P

Once again, you show your simplton side. There is simply too much of value on the line to listen to your dumbazz comments. Of course, you are probably joking... But if you are not:

Not on the water. Too many missions. Also taking credit for millions of lives and billions of dollars in property protection, safe drinking water, etc...

It simply will never be able to play out safely w/what you spew, especially after 911. We already run the bare minimum skeleton crew... Have for the last 55 years. You will always need @ least ONE boot on the ground... That's me and a very few others. Now, even though over a decade ago they ran the Mel Price lock (Upper MS, north of St.Louis) remotely for a test, there is just too much @ stake, lives @ risk, property in harms way to implement, not to mention national defense. It is simply not worth the risk, return value to the nation is just so lopsided like I mentioned in my post above. You are talking pennies vs. billions in return.

Does the words: "Inherently gov't" ring a bell? And the best part? It is all Constitutionally mandated going back over 225 years. No tolls needed going back to the very first act of Congress: Reaffirmation of The Northwest Ordinance from the Articles of Confederation. "Common highways forever free." "Free from tolls...." And one of the best parts: "And the carrying points too..." Maybe you can pray that Obama turns the USC on its head and over turns 225 years of precedent. Heck, just throw the whole Commerce Clause out the window too. You almost sound like a liberal.

Hey give credit where credit is due. While you sleep, people like me are making your lives safe. Deal w/it. Oh... And put away the toll money, it's free for all! You know why it is free? Because your Founding Fathers said it should be free.

:-)

When calling someone a name with the intention of insulting them, especially when you are belittling their intelligence, it is best to at least spell the word correctly. Dumbass.

When calling someone a name with the intention of insulting them, especially when you are belittling their intelligence, it is best to at least spell the word correctly. Dumbass.

That's the only thing you could find to criticize in that rambling post? I didn't even read it but found four.