Ex-UCONN/NBA Donyel Marshall joins UB as asst coach.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DePaul?!

I would think Hurley should stay unless a real major gives him a good offer (not some crap program like DePaul).

If you look at these good young coaches at mid-majors, they get really great opportunities if they are patient (Shaka Smart has had a lot of offers; Brad Stevens; the dude who was at Florida Gulf Coast and I think went to USC).

In fact, from a timing-perspective, Hurley might be a good fit to go to Syracuse once JB retires in 3 years. I don't think the Syracuse administration will just had it over to Mike Hopkins, as people think.

And yet reports say Hurley and Bryce Drew both turned down DePaul.

Mark Gaughan's article Saturday said Hurley desperately wanted the job

DePaul?!

I would think Hurley should stay unless a real major gives him a good offer (not some crap program like DePaul).

If you look at these good young coaches at mid-majors, they get really great opportunities if they are patient (Shaka Smart has had a lot of offers; Brad Stevens; the dude who was at Florida Gulf Coast and I think went to USC).

In fact, from a timing-perspective, Hurley might be a good fit to go to Syracuse once JB retires in 3 years. I don't think the Syracuse administration will just had it over to Mike Hopkins, as people think.

I don't get why DePaul isn't way better. They used to be great. And, really haven't been Since Ray Meyer. A traditional power in Chicago - you would think they'd be a team somebody could turn around.

It's the Marrone Effect.

Every HC of every college team, regardless of level, conference or talent, says to himself, "If (insert maniacal laughter) Doug Marrone can get an NFL HC gig, why the hell can't I???!!!"

Mark Gaughan's article Saturday said Hurley desperately wanted the job

I don't get why DePaul isn't way better. They used to be great. And, really haven't been Since Ray Meyer. A traditional power in Chicago - you would think they'd be a team somebody could turn around.

Yeah, well that Gaughan report was repeating a report from Chicago that wasn't borne out considering Hurley spent all of two hours interviewing at DePaul.

Well crap

@GaryParrishCBS: Bobby Hurley has emerged as a serious candidate at Arizona State, sources told @CBSSports. Some sources have identified him as the leader.

Is Arizona State really the next move he wants to make-- some middling Pac-12 school?

Maybe I think too highly of Hurley, but I think he ought to be more selective. Like Shaka, the major opportunities will come. He should be patient and build the program at Buffalo.

Is Arizona State really the next move he wants to make-- some middling Pac-12 school?

Maybe I think too highly of Hurley, but I think he ought to be more selective. Like Shaka, the major opportunities will come. He should be patient and build the program at Buffalo.

i think he should wait for a better job too but the advantage to going to a power 5 conference is you can get an at-large bid to the tourney instead of having to win your conf as the only chance to go. But I hope he stays.

Maybe you guys are right. But the recent success that these mid-major coaches have had leads me to think that if he plays his cards right, he could be the head coach of a major program (like Syracuse) in 3 years.

If he goes to Arizona State and he has average results, I am not sure people view his star the same.