Bills Setting themselves up for 2016 compensatory picks

The Bills are setting themselves up nicely for compensatory picks for 2016. As of this moment the Bills have added 2 people who can be counted against the Bills

Tyrod Taylor 2 years 7 Million

Jerome Felton 4 years 9.3 million

Percy Harvin will not be counted because he was released by the Jets.

At the current moment, The Bills have lost 4 Free Agents:

RB C.J Spiller 4 years 18 Million

S D'Norris Searcy 4 years 22 Million

OG Erik Pears 2 years

TE Lee Smith 3 years 9 Million

Scott Chandler, who signed with the Pats, will not count against the formula either.

The Bills are rumored to be interested in Charles Clay which would add another player making 3 but we still also have Brandon Spikes as a possibility to be signed by another team bringing our total loss to 5.

Depending on the situation at this current time, I see the Bills receiving either 2 or 3 compensatory picks next year.

The Bills are setting themselves up nicely for compensatory picks for 2016. As of this moment the Bills have added 2 people who can be counted against the Bills

OG Erik Pears 2 years

Scott Chandler, who signed with the Pats, will not count against the formula either.

The Bills are rumored to be interested in Charles Clay which would add another player making 3 but we still also have Brandon Spikes as a possibility to be signed by another team bringing our total loss to 5.

Depending on the situation at this current time, I see the Bills receiving either 2 or 3 compensatory picks next year.

One can only hope. That would all change if we bring Clay in though.

OG Erik Pears 2 years

Don't worry we wont get any

This link is a great resource to better understand how compensatory picks are awarded:

http://overthecap.com/projecting-the-compensatory-draft-picks-for-2015/

Based on the link above the contracts received by our own FA's that have signed elsewhere will likely result in the following draft pick:

DaNorris Searcy: 5th Round Pick

CJ Spiller: 5th/6th Round Pick

Lee Smith: 6th Round Pick

Erik Pears: 7th Round Pick. Possibly nothing only if his contract is for the league minimum and he barely plays next year.

As of now I think the signing of Tyrod Taylor and Jerome Felton will cancel out the losses of Lee Smith and Erik Pears. So my best guess as of now is that we have 2 comp picks in 2016, a 5th rounder and a 5th/6th rounder. I am not sure if Charles Clay counts as a FA signed due to his transition tag situation. I believe he will, but I'm not sure, if anyone knows please let us know. Brandon Spikes and Chris Hairston are still on the market and if they are signed by other teams could add to the Bills comp. pick for 2016. I do hope the Bills have a net loos of FA's this year so that we can at least cash in on one of those 5th round picks.

As much as I liked the signing of Brandon Spikes last year, it cost us a 3rd round compensatory pick this year. Jairus Byrd would've qualified us for a 3rd rounder, but the Spikes signing didn't allow for the Bills to have a net loss of FA's last year, thus no comp. pick. Big picure, that's a pick I really wish the Bills had in this years draft. Let's hope they smarten up.

Lastly, another reason I like 1 year "prove it" deals in FA (see: Percy Harvin) is because if you lose the player the following year you get a comp. pick for them. There is a reason the Patriots and Ravens do a lot of 1 year deals with FA's. Those 2 teams are the smartest when it comes to understanding acquiring "free" draft picks, many of which end up being 3rd and 4th rounders.

Edited by Estro