The dangers of our new normal...

What's to admit? Watching liberals like you lose your **** is highly amusing.

Ya, I'm really despondent :doh:

I'll enjoy watching you clowns defend Dear Leader. :thumbsup:

You are on record as cheering his victory

It's a difficult topic for a number of reasons, so no worries. The political rhetoric brought into it from both sides makes it all the more difficult to discuss... which I'd argue is intentional to make passing these laws easier (but that's the nutter in me so I digress 0:) ).

For the record though, I'm not arguing -- nor have I ever been arguing -- that the government shouldn't be trusted with any surveillance powers, nor do I believe that there's never any need for LEO's to access people's digital footprint. Quite the opposite. I firmly believe that overwhelming majority of the people who are in the business of keeping us safe are good people who are just trying to save lives. There just simply must be oversight and checks to ensure individual rights aren't trampled in the process of trying to stop the bad guys.

Freedom is difficult. We cannot afford to give away the very protections that ensure our personal freedoms to fight "the war on terror", regardless of who's sitting in the oval because once they're gone we never get them back.

Great post.

I was actually interested in asking you if you took solace in the fact the government could not crack the iphone earlier this summer?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hopefully immunity is offered for testimony in an open congressional hearing if this is true.

Based on Trump's comments on Snowden during the campaign, I'm guessing that wouldn't be an option.

That said, I still don't think there's much merit to this. After all, if the hysterics railing about Trump being a Putin pawn are to be believed, why would Putin need to butter Trump up at all by turning over a valuable asset (even if you've gotten all the intel he had out of him already).

Based on Trump's comments on Snowden during the campaign, I'm guessing that wouldn't be an option.

That said, I still don't think there's much merit to this. After all, if the hysterics railing about Trump being a Putin pawn are to be believed, why would Putin need to butter Trump up at all by turning over a valuable asset (even if you've gotten all the intel he had out of him already).

its a two facet purpose.

What relevance to the current world does snowden? I'm sure he could still open some eyes for 10-15 minutes on history - 5-10 yrs ago. But, that's not going to matter to trump or his supporters because that just makes Obama look bad and i don't think Trump cares enough about that because he only cares about himself. Bringing any of this up is wasteful. Especially if Snowden speaks.

They're more valuable not letting him speak and letting the US gov fear him for what he does and does not say. It makes the government look more powerful as a result. A government capable of what he has claimed while strong enough to contain him and cast doubt is a strong government to the eyes of an average plebeian.

Dezinformatsiya.

its a two facet purpose.

What relevance to the current world does snowden? I'm sure he could still open some eyes for 10-15 minutes on history - 5-10 yrs ago. But, that's not going to matter to trump or his supporters because that just makes Obama look bad and i don't think Trump cares enough about that because he only cares about himself. Bringing any of this up is wasteful. Especially if Snowden speaks.

They're more valuable not letting him speak and letting the US gov fear him for what he does and does not say. It makes the government look more powerful as a result. A government capable of what he has claimed while strong enough to contain him and cast doubt is a strong government to the eyes of an average plebeian.

Remember though, Snowden took more than just the NSA files on their surveillence mechanisms. From reports within NSA/CIA that information only amounts to about 5% of the total data he took.

If that's true, he still has plenty of information that could be damaging to this country regardless of who's in the oval.

...That is if he hasn't already turned it over to the Russians and Chinese.

Dezinformatsiya.

That's my first take as well.

Remember though, Snowden took more than just the NSA files on their surveillence mechanisms. From reports within NSA/CIA that information only amounts to about 5% of the total data he took.

If that's true, he still has plenty of information that could be damaging to this country regardless of who's in the oval.

...That is if he hasn't already turned it over to the Russians and Chinese.

That's my first take as well.

i see no reason to fear what snowden has; i'd have to believe the top 5-6 countries in the world have all of that information at the very least...and then some.

what none of the powers that be want is that those of us who don't have the power to know what that information is...

• 4 weeks later...

FBI confirms democracy is dead in the United States in a response to the Vault 7 release:

FBI's James Comey: 'There is no such thing as absolute privacy in America

“There is no such thing as absolute privacy in America,” FBI director James Comey has declared after the disclosure of a range of hacking tools used by the CIA.

(snip)

“All of us have a reasonable expectation of privacy in our homes, in our cars, and in our devices. But it also means with good reason, in court, government through law enforcement can invade our private spaces,” Comey said at the conference on Wednesday. “Even our memories aren’t private. Any of us can be compelled to say what we saw … In appropriate circumstances, a judge can compel any of us to testify in court on those private communications.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/mar/08/fbi-james-comey-privacy-wikileaks-cia-hack-espionage