Day 3 wrapping up, what should be the plan moving forward?

Works for me Kirby :thumbsup:

Mathis graded almost a +50.0 (from PFF) two years ago, and was a big reason why Shady ran so well that year.

The weakest area of the team last year was the offensive line, and I was really hoping that the Bills would make building an elite line a priority.

As far as free agency is concerned (Not Trades)..I'm not impressed....We got a FB and that's it...Crap so far!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills have already dealt their 1st and 2 4th round picks in this draft. Trading your 3rd and picking up Mathis' salary is not the type of value this team needs right now. That would be 4 of their top 5 picks. Is Dan Snyder running this team?

I get they're trying to win now, and who can blame them given their futile record the past 15 years? But that doesn't excuse trading your future away either. Mathis is 33 and has a 6.5M cap hit in 2015 and 7M hit in 2016.

They need guard help, but not at that price. And definitely not for a 33 year old.

Edited by BillsVet

<p>

I thought that this was an appropriate time to start this thread as it appears some new things are happening. If you were the Bills what would you do moving forward?

I would:

• Trade the 3rd round pick to Philly for Evan Mathis
  • Cut Urbik and Williams (basically offsets his cap number)
  • Sign Harvin
  • Sign Gresham
  • Draft Preston Smith
Sounds good. You cannot use williams without a first name or number.

The Bills have already dealt their 1st and 2 4th round picks in this draft. Trading your 3rd and picking up Mathis' salary is not the type of value this team needs right now. That would be 4 of their top 5 picks. Is Dan Snyder running this team?

I get they're trying to win now, and who can blame them given their futile record the past 15 years? But that doesn't excuse trading your future away either. Mathis is 33 and has a 6.5M cap hit in 2015 and 7M hit in 2016.

They need guard help, but not at that price. And definitely not for a 33 year old.

If they are trying to win now who will produce more a 3rd round pick or Evan Mathis?

Sounds good. You cannot use williams without a first name or number.

Chris Williams

I thought that this was an appropriate time to start this thread as it appears some new things are happening. If you were the Bills what would you do moving forward?

I would:

• Sign Harvin
  • Sign Gresham
  • Draft Preston Smith

I say no to harvin, but Mathis would be great. I'd give Philly this year's fifth, and a 4th next year, plus some depth player.

There aren't many fans around that realize just how good Mathis is at his position, or how important it is to have an elite player like him on the line. JMO

Mathis is really, really good and fills a position of need. In addition, they can drop Urbik & C Williams and it basically costs them nothing. They can develop the young guys and add another vet like a De La Puente type to round out the OL.

I say no to harvin, but Mathis would be great. I'd give Philly this year's fifth, and a 4th next year, plus some depth player.

Who do you want for that other receiver? Crabtree? DGB? Strong? I'm not a big Crabtree fan personally. They are clearly trying to add a high end receiver as they went after Marshall & now Harvin. I couldn't think of a better option than Harvin but there may be one via trade even.

If they are trying to win now who will produce more a 3rd round pick or Evan Mathis?

The point remains you try to win now and keep an eye on the future. That's what a GM is there for, not to go all-in at the craps table with your mortgage payment.

Mathis turns 34 during the season and missed 7 games last season. If he's released I get the signing. But no way would I trade more than a 5th for him.

Being that desperate for guards and using a 3rd is mind-bendingly stupid.

The point remains you try to win now and keep an eye on the future. That's what a GM is there for, not to go all-in at the craps table with your mortgage payment.

Mathis turns 34 during the season and missed 7 games last season. If he's released I get the signing. But no way would I trade more than a 5th for him.

Being that desperate for guards and using a 3rd is mind-bendingly stupid.

It's either him or drafting a lesser guard in the 2nd or 3rd. I don't think that makes sense when your OL is weak. Mathis' deal is not bad either.

If there's one old NFL adage that seems to consistently ring true, it's 'when you Draft for Need, (TE in the 2nd), you'll eventually fail. Yes, we now really need a TE, but our picks are a real precious commodity this year, so BPA on the Board at the time is the time-tested best way to go. JMO

You know they just won't be able to help themselves.

As far as the plan moving forward:

Start looking for value. Save money on the cap and roll over the excess space into next year. We don't have to spend it just because we have it.

Edited by BrooklynBills

I think that's a great plan but what about safety? I don't know if Duke will step up this year he showed flashes last year, Rambo did too.

Meeks is gonna kill it when he gets off IR.

Moving Graham over more often??

I would:

• Sign Harvin
  • Sign Gresham
  • Draft Preston Smith
Sometimes you need to have a little patience. They don't have to solve every positional need in the first week of FA. The best trade Whaley ever made came after the draft in 2013. There will also be cuts after June 1st. They want clay, I want clay, but I don't want them to be in a position where they are forced to offer a contract that precludes making any more moves over the next 3-4 months.

Mathis is really, really good and fills a position of need. In addition, they can drop Urbik & C Williams and it basically costs them nothing. They can develop the young guys and add another vet like a De La Puente type to round out the OL.

Who do you want for that other receiver? Crabtree? DGB? Strong? I'm not a big Crabtree fan personally. They are clearly trying to add a high end receiver as they went after Marshall & now Harvin. I couldn't think of a better option than Harvin but there may be one via trade even.

TBH, probably Stevie. That dude gets open like no one else. Bowe is another great option

33 and has graded out as the #1, #1 and #3 OG in football over the last 3 years. You can still get 3-4 solid years out of him. It is absolutely worth it if you are trying to win in the next handful of years.

I don't think that there are many 35 year old guards starting in the NFL. I think getting 1 more good year out of him would be pushing it...